• Status
    Not open for further replies.

wolfts01

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    New Haven
    Hi, I've finally decided to stop procrastinating and make my first firearms purchase ASAP (and a CCW permit as well). I just turned 21 this August and, after about a year of "The first thing I'm going to do on my 21st is get a handgun," I dropped the ball and still haven't bought one.

I saw an ad for a pk380 at Gander Mountain or something in the paper today and six hours later I'm still studying gun reviews online, and I just stumbled upon this site. I didn't know there was an IN specific site, which is a big help since it is very hard to find information about local gun laws and local ranges.

I have gone all over the place as to which gun to buy, and only having shot a commander size 1911 and a colt mustang I feel overwhelmed by the choices at hand. The only gun store I know of is in Fort Wayne and they do not allow you to rent weapons to try them out, so I'm hoping I can get some guidance here.

"At the moment" I am considering the walther p99, the new XD(M) compact 9mm, and still possibly a commander sized 1911 if I find the right one for me. I have the problem that I'm a meager 5' 6" and 125 lb in size, but I really want to carry a full blown handgun for protection. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, but I'll post a new, non-greetings, thread in a few days once I've completely changed my mind again :):

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Welcome to INGO! Take a look at the compact glock line. G19, 23, and 32 depending on your caliber preference. :welcome:

Mr.Lubie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Sep 24, 2008
    See if you can get someone that has a Ruger SR9C to let ya shoot it.I carry one everyday and love it..Oh and welcome to :ingo:

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Go to 21st Century in Ft. Wayne. Ask to speak to Jahred (Games235 on INGO) Do not buy a handgun without putting several in your hand first.

But my personal advise would be to stay out of Gander or any other large consumer store. Ask questions read the FAQ and get involved here on INGO. When you get your 50 posts (quality) then start browsing the Classifieds. That is where you will find your best deals for about anything. While waiting get your LTCH (not CCW, as IN doesn't require nor specify how you must carry a handgun, just that you have a LTCH) LTCH= License to Carry Handgun or Permit if you will. I would never suggest ignoring any of our site supporters as they have all proven themselves over the years, however I know how college age budgets are, so look at your options. 21st is top notch though!

Another idea is the gun shows. The Indy 1500 is just around the corner, great place to find a deal. Have someone show you the ropes, don't do this alone.

BTW, I vote Glock, I carry my G19 everyday :D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom