• ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Dont over complicate this...

Myself, I will hand my registration, DL, LTCH at once, ready to go.

If you choose not to inform. If they ask you to step out of the vehical, they will then ask if you have any weapons.

My question is this:
    If they run your DL for a warrent check, do they get a flag that you have either a LTCH or Class II, III?

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Actually, there isn't a check mark. The only way I know you have a permit is
    1) I see it when you open up your wallet to get your license
    2) You tell me
    3) I run your name and DOB through the case request system to check the ISP database.

When I was a cop in Tennessee there actually was a notation on DL responses that said if someone was an LTCH holder. I have yet to encounter that in Indiana.

Dont over complicate this...

Myself, I will hand my registration, DL, LTCH at once, ready to go.

If you choose not to inform. If they ask you to step out of the vehical, they will then ask if you have any weapons.

My question is this:
    If they run your DL for a warrent check, do they get a flag that you have either a LTCH or Class II, III?

Disreguard, should have finished reading the thread. My bad :nono:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I've gone over my "take" on this many times, and I don't plan to rehash it here. I would ask the question, though, of any LEOs reading:

How would it be perceived if I was pulled over, stopped safely, and slowly exited the car, having left my pistol on the seat inside and the vehicle locked, papers in my hand and keys in my pocket, then stepped to the rear of my car to wait for the officer? This flies in the face of the whole "hands on the wheel, engine off, vehicle dome light on" advice, but would, I think, avoid the whole issue, however my concern is that the LEO is going to perceive my exiting the vehicle, even slowly and unarmed, as a potential threat.

Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    If I'm driving my Jetta, I just keep it on my hip where it belongs. In the S2000, passenger seat. If I have a passenger, she/he is holding it.

I don't see what the big deal with firearms is. We are allowed to have them.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    I've gone over my "take" on this many times, and I don't plan to rehash it here. I would ask the question, though, of any LEOs reading:

How would it be perceived if I was pulled over, stopped safely, and slowly exited the car, having left my pistol on the seat inside and the vehicle locked, papers in my hand and keys in my pocket, then stepped to the rear of my car to wait for the officer? This flies in the face of the whole "hands on the wheel, engine off, vehicle dome light on" advice, but would, I think, avoid the whole issue, however my concern is that the LEO is going to perceive my exiting the vehicle, even slowly and unarmed, as a potential threat.

Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

Please, for the safety of both persons involved, stay in the car. It's safer for you, because others don't pay attention and could hit you.

The officer will see you getting out and probably yell at you over his PA to get back in. I can attest to this.

When I'm 'ordered' out and I have my gun unholstered (doesn't fit on my hip in racing seats), I simply reholster it when I get out of the car. No reasonably decent officer will have issues with a well mannered citizen carrying. For those that do, it still won't lead to any extra trouble.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers

Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm forty now. I tried to exit the vehicle on two occasions and "learned my lesson" over twenty years ago.

The first time, the officer had already exited the car, he dropped behind his open door, removed his firearm and pointed it at me. I threw that particular pair of underwear away.

The second time, (I didn't learn the first time??) the officer had NOT exited the car yet but came on the loudspeaker with a very commanding: "RETURN TO THE CAR! HANDS ON THE STEERING WHEEL!"

After that, I learned to keep my rear in the seat but it took a couple of additional stops before I learned NOT to lean over and shuffle around in the glove compartment looking for papers after I was stopped. :D They didn't like that either. ;)

Doing anything out the ordinary after a stop - anything that looks suspicious or aggressive - just sets a bad tone and increases the odds of a negative experience for both the LEO and yourself.

My two cents.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Wait.... You get out of the car, gun in hand and holster it once out of the car?:dunno:

I bet that doesn't make the officer very comfortable seeing you with a firearm in your hand.

I can't sit in the car in question with the gun holstered. I sort of throw a leg out the door, turn my hips, and holster it. I get asked out of the car, not ordered. Usually they want to BS with me about the military, firearms, or other random stuff if they are going to give me a warning.

I've never once had a bad experience with a police officer. :dunno:

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana

Thoughts?

Blessings,
    Bill
    Some states require the driver to get out of their car, some don't..
    Indiana cops like it if you stay put until asked to do otherwise..

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Whether you tell the LEO you have a firearm or not is up to you, but please if you are pulled over for any reason, stay in your vehicle with your hands on the steering wheel and do not make any sudden movements until the Officer asks you for something, then you can move your hands from the wheel. I for one would tell them, but that is me.

I don't have any real experience with this situation, but I do have many friends who are LEOs and I know how my LEO friends want to be treated.

As has been said before, LEOs have a stressful enough job; make it easier on them.

MO only.

LuckyBrush

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Delphi, Indiana
    This is my :twocents: based on 3 'real-life' experiences.

If I am ever pulled over and am armed myself or have a firearm in the car/truck, I tell the LEO first thing.

I don't even give him the chance to say "good afternoon" first. As he's walking up to the car, I simply say "Before we get started, I just want to let you know I have (either 1 or 2) firearms in the car, they are loaded and I have a license."

Nope, I don't have to do it. But I do for 2 reasons, one of which is a no-brainer. First, make the LEO feel comfortable, cuz he's GOING to be ******/nervous if he sees is without you telling him.

Second, in my 3 situations (all within the past year) I received warnings each time. The conversations went like this:

"Sir, I appreciate you being honest and forthright about the firearms, I'm just going to give you warning today."

Now, one stop was initiated for 69/55. I had no seatbelt, drivers license on me (wallet was at home - copy of LTCH in glove box), and I was speeding.

Second was 72/55 on Hwy 41 around Terre Haute, where LEO was travelling in opposite direction and made a U-turn in the grass median to come back to get me.

Third was 71/50, also on Hwy 41 north of Vincennes. Same thing; U-turn in median.

Now, while this isn't something to brag about, I used to get pulled over on a regular basis for speeding. It's been my experience that going 15 or more over the limit, or the fact that LEO has to hit the grass to turn around to pull you over, you're likely getting a ticket for something.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I'll tell you this; you're less likely to raise eyebrows and **** of LEO if you tell them up front about your gun(s).

Jeeeese! Sounds like you need to slow down! :nono: :): Too many points on your DL and no more drivey :D Just hecklin ya

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jeeeese! Sounds like you need to slow down! :nono: :): Too many points on your DL and no more drivey :D Just hecklin ya

That's about right. It's funny, I have been pulled over plenty, but never get tickets. 0 points on my license. The funnier part is I watch out for them on the roads, and 2 of the 3 times I saw them in advance. I just didn't think they'd hit the median under the traffic circumstances at the time so I didn't slow down. I estimated wrong! The 3rd time was he was a bushhog. I never saw him til it was too late. :D

rcflyer

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    If you are pulled over by Indiana Leo's NEVER get out of your car unless told to do so by the LEO. Keep your hands in plain sight at all times while in the vehicle. Only reason to inform if you are CC or OC is if asked or have to exit vehicle. Pretty simple.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Here's how I think people should handle things. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. Feel free to disregard. I'm not going to argue about any of this.
    1. Avoid behaviors that attract unwanted attention from the police.
    2. If you get stopped, don't fail the Attitude Test. Be courteous but do not be friendly.
    3. Keep your registration and proof of insurance somewhere handy that isn't the glove box or similar container so you won't have to open it and expose the contents to someone looking into the car.
    4. Turn the interior light on and keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    5. Do what they tell you do.
    6. Answer pertinent questions directly, specifially, succinctly, and truthfully. Follow each answer with, "Am I free to go?"
    7. DO NOT OFFER UNSOLICITED INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. For the people in Rio Linda, this means "Hey, I've my license and I'm packin' heat!" too.
    8. If you're asked directly if you have a firearm in the car, don't lie about it, but consider a response like "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, am I free to go?" If you have a valid LTCH, it's the truth and it's not their business what you do or don't have in the vehicle.
    9. Do not consent to any searches. If they don't need a warrant, they won't ask you, they'll just do it.
    10. Avoid answering questions that are not pertinent to the situation. For instance, if you're asked "Where are you headed?" you may wish to consider "I prefer not to discuss my personal business, am I free to go?"

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    THIS seems to be the best and only reason to tell them up front- if they're obviously wired up a little (from a U-turn and 'pursuit') they are pretty likely to give you a ticket. Informing them may possibly make them "like you" so it sounds good to me!

This is my :twocents: based on 3 'real-life' experiences.

If I am ever pulled over and am armed myself or have a firearm in the car/truck, I tell the LEO first thing.

I don't even give him the chance to say "good afternoon" first. As he's walking up to the car, I simply say "Before we get started, I just want to let you know I have (either 1 or 2) firearms in the car, they are loaded and I have a license."

Nope, I don't have to do it. But I do for 2 reasons, one of which is a no-brainer. First, make the LEO feel comfortable, cuz he's GOING to be ******/nervous if he sees is without you telling him.

Second, in my 3 situations (all within the past year) I received warnings each time. The conversations went like this:

"Sir, I appreciate you being honest and forthright about the firearms, I'm just going to give you warning today."

Now, one stop was initiated for 69/55. I had no seatbelt, drivers license on me (wallet was at home - copy of LTCH in glove box), and I was speeding.

Second was 72/55 on Hwy 41 around Terre Haute, where LEO was travelling in opposite direction and made a U-turn in the grass median to come back to get me.

Third was 71/50, also on Hwy 41 north of Vincennes. Same thing; U-turn in median.

Now, while this isn't something to brag about, I used to get pulled over on a regular basis for speeding. It's been my experience that going 15 or more over the limit, or the fact that LEO has to hit the grass to turn around to pull you over, you're likely getting a ticket for something.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I'll tell you this; you're less likely to raise eyebrows and **** of LEO if you tell them up front about your gun(s).

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Here's how I think people should handle things. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. Feel free to disregard. I'm not going to argue about any of this.
    1. Avoid behaviors that attract unwanted attention from the police.
    2. If you get stopped, don't fail the Attitude Test. Be courteous but do not be friendly.
    3. Keep your registration and proof of insurance somewhere handy that isn't the glove box or similar container so you won't have to open it and expose the contents to someone looking into the car.
    4. Turn the interior light on and keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    5. Do what they tell you do.
    6. Answer pertinent questions directly, specifially, succinctly, and truthfully. Follow each answer with, "Am I free to go?"
    7. DO NOT OFFER UNSOLICITED INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. For the people in Rio Linda, this means "Hey, I've my license and I'm packin' heat!" too.
    8. If you're asked directly if you have a firearm in the car, don't lie about it, but consider a response like "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, am I free to go?" If you have a valid LTCH, it's the truth and it's not their business what you do or don't have in the vehicle.
    9. Do not consent to any searches. If they don't need a warrant, they won't ask you, they'll just do it.
    10. Avoid answering questions that are not pertinent to the situation. For instance, if you're asked "Where are you headed?" you may wish to consider "I prefer not to discuss my personal business, am I free to go?"

Best advice here. Period. :patriot:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    pulled over and carrying

I was pulled over buy a state cop one night on 31 at the ham./tipton co. line. He knew before he came to my window that I at least had a permit because the first words out of his mouth " do you have any weapons on you today sir" Everything went the way he wanted and I only got a warning for a 78/55.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I am trying to preempt this by not speeding. I've only been pulled over one other time, and that was a (LIAR) failure to use signal to change lanes. (LIAR)

I always use signals, even when leaving my drive, and I am a speed limit follower, now. Sorry if you get stuck behind my slow ass. Vote to up the speed limits, then. :)

Top Bottom