• ...and so much more!
  • INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    <:hijack:>

One early morning around 0230 I pulled out of my drive way, I live on a corner, and there was a local city police officer that was coming down the street further into our dead-end neighborhood. I pulled out and went by my merry way. I USE TURN SIGNALS ALL THE TIME! I got to the end of the neighborhood, made my right hand turn and after traveling about a block away from the neighborhood, I noticed a car pull out and turn my direction and accelerate to a high rate of speed. The police car pulled up behind me and turned on his lights. I immediately pulled safely into a parking lot and waited with my hands in plain sight on the steering wheel. The officer walked up and told me he pulled me over for failing to use my turn signals, well that was a load of bull$h1t because he was NEVER behind me to even determine if I had ever even used my turn signals. He asked to see my drivers license I took it out, handed it to him and he looked at it for a second or two, told me that there had been some kids breaking into cars in the neighborhood and taking them for joyrides. Well at that time I knew why he pulled me over, because he asked me how my son was doing? We had some issues with my son that are now all over and taken care of. Well I knew that he thought I was my son taking my truck out for a joy ride and that is why he pulled me over. I told him my son was doing much better and thanks for asking. He handed me back my drivers license and told me to have a good evening. The only complaint that I have was that the lied about me not using my turn signal. Just come up to the truck and tell me what the hell is going on, he doesnt have to come up with some bull$h1t excuse as to why he is pulling me over. All-in-all it was a very favorable experience especially when he asked about my son.

INGunGuy

</:hijack:>

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Here's how I think people should handle things. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. Feel free to disregard. I'm not going to argue about any of this.
    1. Avoid behaviors that attract unwanted attention from the police.
    2. If you get stopped, don't fail the Attitude Test. Be courteous but do not be friendly.
    3. Keep your registration and proof of insurance somewhere handy that isn't the glove box or similar container so you won't have to open it and expose the contents to someone looking into the car.
    4. Turn the interior light on and keep your hands on the steering wheel.
    5. Do what they tell you do.
    6. Answer pertinent questions directly, specifially, succinctly, and truthfully. Follow each answer with, "Am I free to go?"
    7. DO NOT OFFER UNSOLICITED INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. For the people in Rio Linda, this means "Hey, I've my license and I'm packin' heat!" too.
    8. If you're asked directly if you have a firearm in the car, don't lie about it, but consider a response like "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, am I free to go?" If you have a valid LTCH, it's the truth and it's not their business what you do or don't have in the vehicle.
    9. Do not consent to any searches. If they don't need a warrant, they won't ask you, they'll just do it.
    10. Avoid answering questions that are not pertinent to the situation. For instance, if you're asked "Where are you headed?" you may wish to consider "I prefer not to discuss my personal business, am I free to go?"

I like this answer a great deal, but I'm curious what you do if the officer escalated the situation? If he insisted you tell him whether you're armed. This always seems to be a tricky area, because determining what is and isn't a lawful order is difficult, and the cop knows what needs to be said to justify his actions. Combined with the presumption of truth that a cop carries to court, it seems even more tricky. I like it, though, because you are absolutely right that cops have no right to that information, and unlike some I have read here, I dislike very much even having to stop. I understand why the power is there, but it's unpleasant for me to deal with people who have that kind of power over me.

Ness2k

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    China ^_^
    Here's how I think people should handle things. Of course, I'm not a lawyer and I've never stayed in a Holiday Inn Express. Feel free to disregard. I'm not going to argue about any of this.
    2. If you get stopped, don't fail the Attitude Test. Be courteous but do not be friendly.
    3. Keep your registration and proof of insurance somewhere handy that isn't the glove box or similar container so you won't have to open it and expose the contents to someone looking into the car.
    6. Answer pertinent questions directly, specifially, succinctly, and truthfully. Follow each answer with, "Am I free to go?"
    7. DO NOT OFFER UNSOLICITED INFORMATION OF ANY KIND. For the people in Rio Linda, this means "Hey, I've my license and I'm packin' heat!" too.
    8. If you're asked directly if you have a firearm in the car, don't lie about it, but consider a response like "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle, am I free to go?" If you have a valid LTCH, it's the truth and it's not their business what you do or don't have in the vehicle.
    9. Do not consent to any searches. If they don't need a warrant, they won't ask you, they'll just do it.
    10. Avoid answering questions that are not pertinent to the situation. For instance, if you're asked "Where are you headed?" you may wish to consider "I prefer not to discuss my personal business, am I free to go?"

If you're just commiting a basic traffic violation, I don't think these are good rules to follow, especially if you're not doing anything otherwise illegal. I try to keep my vehicles fairly clean as to not invite searches, but I never play the "I know my rights" card instead of just being a charming individual. I'm 9-0 for not receiving a traffic violation.

First and foremost, I always try to drive to an area that is safer for both the officer and I. If I'm in a town, I'll drive to a section of a parking lot that is not busy, into a gas station, etc.. On the highway, I'll take the offramp if I'm close enough, or pull over as far as I can if not.

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
    "Yes" if you honestly know. Chances are you do know, and lying about it isn't a good idea. It may surprise some people, but California stops are not legal. I did say "speeding" one time, and he said "no, you have a taillight out". I was speeding, but he apparently didn't care.

"Do you have any weapons in your vehicle?"
    "Yes" or my favorite, "a few".

Lying to an officer is probably not a good idea. Saying "I do not have any illegal weapons" is fine too, but why feel the need to avoid a subject that doesn't incriminate you? If I am treated unfairly because of carrying a weapon, I'll see him later at his station after filing a complaint and speaking with his chief, not his supervisor. Jumping the chain of command is a good way to get **** done, and I highly recommend anyone who has been treated unfairly to do so. :draw:

"Where are you going?"
    "Work/friends house/parents house/home"

Why beat around the bush? Honestly, and officers will back this up, the job gets boring and they just want to talk to people, LOL.

No need to ask if you're free to go, especially if you've only commited a traffic violation. Of course, don't consent to any searches, but being friendly doesn't hurt. It could just be my personality, but I usually end up spending too much time making small talk with the officer.

Being unwelcoming, nagging the officer about if you're "free to go", and having a generally cold attitude will get you through the traffic stop, but not give the officer any good reason to let you off with just a warning.

Just my :twocents:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    In the words of my good friend Cory Smith...

Blue lights flashing, they had traffic stopped
    And Highway 11's done turned into a permanent road block
    I wasn't driving, my wife was my D.D.
    And she hadn't drank a drop, still got hassled by the J.P.D.
    And I said hey dude can't you just leave her alone
    She ain't done nothin' wrong man and we just want to go home
    Woah-woah

And I was mad as hell, thinking f$%* the po-po
    and they wonder why folks don't trust 'em no more
    Woah-hoah
    And I'm not gonna let this go, so I'm singing f$%* the po-po

So I got arrested, just for speaking up
    And that cop said boy the only right you have is to shut the f$%* up
    Now I'm a jail-bird, I've done time in the penn
    And I've got a real messed up story to tell all my friends
    And my name was in the newspaper in my home town
    They ruined my reputation because I didn't bow down
    No-no

And now I'm mad as hell singing f$%* the po-po
    And they wonder why folks don't trust 'em no more
    Woah-hoah
    And I'm not gonna let this go so I'm singing f$%* the po-po

Two fingers in the air for the J.P.D.
    The long-arm of the law coming down on me
    Now I understand why all these rappers are mad
    They must have been treated as badly as I have
    Now I'm screaming thug life, f$%* the po-po
    Shootin' birds out the window whenever the cops go by
    They're puttin road blocks in front of my house
    Man I'm starting to feel like I live under the Taliban
    Can't drive home without a gun in my face
    Thursday through Sunday, they're invading my space
    Tellin' me its for my sake, they're keepin' the streets safe
    By gettin' all the drunks off of the highway
    But I say man, that's a big f$%*in' lie
    It's all about the money from the D.U.I.'s
    Otherwise they'd be parked out in front of this bar
    Giving free breathalizers before we get in our cars
    Instead they just hide about 3 miles away
    And sit and wait for one of us to make a mistake
    Drink a little to much and you'll be cuffed and stuffed
    And probably roughed up if you complain enough
    You'll be carted off to jai, in the land of the free
    Another victim of the over-zealous J.P.D.
    Now don't get me wrong, I don't mean disrespect
    There are a lot of good cops, who serve and protect
    And they boldy put their lives on the line
    To protect our rights and give us peace of mind
    But for every cop who thinks his badge is a crown
    This song is for you, and I'll never bow down ...

And now I'm mad as hell singing f$%* the po-po
    And they wonder why folks don't trust 'em no more
    Woah-hoah
    And I'm not gonna let this go so I'm singing f$%* the po-po yall
    Oh no, f$%* the po-po

Italicized one part that needs emphasis, but this song is soooo accurate its crazy!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I was pulled over buy a state cop one night on 31 at the ham./tipton co. line. He knew before he came to my window that I at least had a permit because the first words out of his mouth " do you have any weapons on you today sir" Everything went the way he wanted and I only got a warning for a 78/55.

I would not interpret this to mean that he knew you had a LTCH. I once put my hands out the window when pulled over and the cop immediately asked that question. He went on to say that putting your hands out the window is a big hint that you've got a gun.

Lesson learned- interior light turned on, hands on steering wheel. Don't give them reason to suspect (by acting paranoid or uber-concerned). Just remain calm.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0

Someone help me understand a few things. First, I don't understand the "Am I free to go". You're obviously not free to go until the person of authority says you are.

I also don't understand "be courteous" but don't be polite. Since the main goal for us as citizens is to NOT get ticketed, I'm gonna be as friendly as I can be to ANY LEO who pulls me over.

Not to be argumentative, but when you get pulled over, you are NOT in control; not in the least bit. Why beat around the bush by saying "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle?" The LEO doesn't know that. If he asks if you have a firearm, why not say "yes, and I have a LTCH?"

As for the search thing, again, why not? You have nothing illegal right? Saying no guarantees drama. First, you're gonna wait for a supervisor, or wait anyway while he searches because as said, if LEO doesn't need a warrant, they're gonna do it anyway. I might ask "why" to try and solicit his reasoning for wanting to search, but refusing is just another version of a pissing contest, one in which you will likely be on the losing end of.

Where am I headed? Again, why would you say "I prefer not to discuss my personal business?" Talk about a red flag. You've done nothing wrong other than whatever they may be stopping you for. Not answering his question does not make you pass the attitude test.

If you want to avoid bringing on any unwanted attention to yourself, as pointed out in number 1, then most of these aren't going to achieve that goal.

And since the ultimately goal for us is to NOT get a handful of tickets and be on our merry way, if the LEO asks me to jump, my response will be "how high?"

Are we all just anticipating that 'rogue rookie' who's out to make your life hell? Or do we have that little respect for their jobs?

I would never be a police officer. Their job flat sucks. And I'm not going to make it even the slightest bit harder for them when they pull me over, provided it's for a legit reason. But I've never been pulled over for something I didn't do.

If I get pulled over for something I KNOW didn't happen, OTOH, I'd be in "dick mode" instantly.

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Your advice was good. Rhino's was better. The police can't detain you. The moment you ask if you're free, they need to let you go if they have no reason to keep you.

Good luck going into "dick mode" when the something you "know didn't happen" was a law you were ignorant of.

Rhino's way would work fine in almost every case. Yours may or may not.

straittactical

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   1
    Dec 16, 2008
    I have a few experiances here let me share.

well first i would stay in the car. stoped in at buger king one day and orderd some food my window rolled down fine. i pulled out on the road after and didnt put on my seat belt and a leo pulled me over. he started walking up to the door my window would not roll down so i opened the door. he pulled his gun out and said " shut you door stay in the vehical" i said " My window wont roll down" he said " well you just had it down back there" i said " I know i dont know whats wrong". then he just walked up slowly and every thing went as normal.

I had on cop pull me over for speeding like 5 MPH over and he was one of those cops on a power trip. he asked me is i had any thing in the vechical after i got out of my car and i told him 2 handguns. after being a total ass started asking me several question about them. like

whos are these?
    where did you get them?
    are they stollen?
    are they in your name?
    whos name are they in?
    just all kinds of stuff. i finally got kinda mad and i said.
    it dosent matter whos name there in i have permission to carry them, and i have my LTCH on me.
    then he asked again why do you have them. I replied " Some Reason you got yours"

then he asked me to put tbem in my Lunch box and that was it.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Your advice was good. Rhino's was better. The police can't detain you. The moment you ask if you're free, they need to let you go if they have no reason to keep you.

Good luck going into "dick mode" when the something you "know didn't happen" was a law you were ignorant of.

Rhino's way would work fine in almost every case. Yours may or may not.

The police can keep you on the side of the road until they have finished whatever it is they pulled you over for. Period. You are not free to go until they are done with you. This we all know. Sure, after the fact you can bitch to the chief and file suit and all that... But on the side of the road, you're just another guy who got pulled over. You are not in control and you don't get the final say.

As for "dick mode", it was just a couple posts before me where someone mentioned being pulled over for turn signal when he says he always uses them. If I were pulled over for no turn signal when I know I had them on, I'd go into "dick mode" because I know I'm being singled out like an Arab at the airport. I'm not talking about ignorance of laws. Especially traffic laws.

I'm looking for some explanation/debate on my above post regarding why you (anyone) would do some of those things. I'm NOT looking for an argument with you, JosephR.

Keeping in mind that you're trying NOT to get a ticket - why would you not bend over backwards for an officer who pulled you over for a legitimate reason?

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    Sorry you are unaware of the facts that Rhino presented but that doesn't change things.

Rhino's compiled that list of things to do from other websites where LEO are heavily involved. I've seen similar suggestions many times from people much more in the know than you or I.

You may think I'm trying to argue with you but I'm just letting you know you can stop and learn something from his posts.

He's right even though you don't understand it. Police have the authority to pull you over. They can't keep you there longer than necessary. If you ask to go and they have no reason to keep you, they must let you go. Rhino is suggesting to speed that process up as opposed to wasting your time.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Someone help me understand a few things. First, I don't understand the "Am I free to go". You're obviously not free to go until the person of authority says you are.

I also don't understand "be courteous" but don't be polite. Since the main goal for us as citizens is to NOT get ticketed, I'm gonna be as friendly as I can be to ANY LEO who pulls me over.

Not to be argumentative, but when you get pulled over, you are NOT in control; not in the least bit. Why beat around the bush by saying "I have nothing illegal in the vehicle?" The LEO doesn't know that. If he asks if you have a firearm, why not say "yes, and I have a LTCH?"

As for the search thing, again, why not? You have nothing illegal right? Saying no guarantees drama. First, you're gonna wait for a supervisor, or wait anyway while he searches because as said, if LEO doesn't need a warrant, they're gonna do it anyway. I might ask "why" to try and solicit his reasoning for wanting to search, but refusing is just another version of a pissing contest, one in which you will likely be on the losing end of.

Where am I headed? Again, why would you say "I prefer not to discuss my personal business?" Talk about a red flag. You've done nothing wrong other than whatever they may be stopping you for. Not answering his question does not make you pass the attitude test.

If you want to avoid bringing on any unwanted attention to yourself, as pointed out in number 1, then most of these aren't going to achieve that goal.

And since the ultimately goal for us is to NOT get a handful of tickets and be on our merry way, if the LEO asks me to jump, my response will be "how high?"

Are we all just anticipating that 'rogue rookie' who's out to make your life hell? Or do we have that little respect for their jobs?

I would never be a police officer. Their job flat sucks. And I'm not going to make it even the slightest bit harder for them when they pull me over, provided it's for a legit reason. But I've never been pulled over for something I didn't do.

If I get pulled over for something I KNOW didn't happen, OTOH, I'd be in "dick mode" instantly.

"Am I free to go?" clarifies that you are, in fact, still being detained, even if not actually under arrest. This prevents the officer from later saying in court that he was not detaining you, you were "just talking" with each other. There may be other minutiae involved as well of which I'm not aware.

"Be courteous but not friendly." means that you return to him exactly the treatment you would expect from him-professionalism. He is NOT your friend and your relationship is at the very least slightly adversarial due to the power dynamic and due to the fact that he can and quite possibly will be taking actions that will cost you a buttload of money. Still, you expect to be called "Sir", you expect to have your reasonable and legal requests honored, i.e. "Excuse me, officer, but the reason for my erratic lane change is that it feels like my blood sugar is getting low, and I was reaching for a hard candy to help fix it, when the (wrapped) candy fell on the floor. I'd like to get that now, please." This as opposed to getting a case of diarrhea of the mouth and babbling at him about anything and everything-where you're going, what you're doing, etc., as if you can trust him to "have your back". Ever notice in the Miranda warning, it says, "...Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law..."?
    It does not say "...for or against you..." because anything the officer hears you say that would be exculpatory will be regarded as "hearsay" in court, while anything incriminating will become evidence.

The issue of whether or not you are armed or whether or not he has your permission to search your vehicle has been covered ad nauseum here. Put simply, if it's not something you'd tell the guy next to you in line, or it's not something you'd let the guy next door do, just because he asked, it's not something you have any reason to allow a LEO to do. (the only exceptions to this in re: information I can think of involve you handing over your license, registration, and proof of insurance and your LTCH on request. Obviously, you have to follow his lawful orders. In reality, you have to follow his unlawful orders, too, or eat sidewalk with a knee in your back, but at least with those, you have recourse later.)

I might not answer the question of my destination directly, but I would not obviously avoid it.. an answer of, "the store" or "nowhere special" suffices just as well, and while I would not lie, I might choose that precise moment he asks the question to change the destination I had in mind, if I have some reason to not wish to say.

As for "how high", see my comment above about his lawful or even unlawful orders.

Finally, if you do choose to go into "dick mode", he probably will, too, and he has the presumption of honesty from the courts. This will not bode well for you, I think, so you may want to reconsider that decision.

You're correct, their job does suck, many times. I'm not going to make it harder, but I'm also not going to voluntarily allow them to make my life harder because that's the job they chose to do.

I'm not a cop, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not a judge. I am an American citizen, however, and before that, a human being with rights that no one, badge, poofy wig, or black robe notwithstanding, has the right to take from me. Our Constitution guarantees those rights, and the judge and the LEO both swore to uphold that Constitution. I'm just holding them to their oaths.

Blessings,
    Bill

WinChoke

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Alexandria
    Chasekerion4 said:

"Keeping in mind that you're trying NOT to get a ticket - why would you not bend over backwards for an officer who pulled you over for a legitimate reason?"

The only thing I would add to this is that what difference does it make if you are pulled over for (what you believe to be) a legitimate reason or not? No ticket is the goal.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    "Am I free to go?" clarifies that you are, in fact, still being detained, even if not actually under arrest. This prevents the officer from later saying in court that he was not detaining you, you were "just talking" with each other. There may be other minutiae involved as well of which I'm not aware.

"Be courteous but not friendly." means that you return to him exactly the treatment you would expect from him-professionalism. He is NOT your friend and your relationship is at the very least slightly adversarial due to the power dynamic and due to the fact that he can and quite possibly will be taking actions that will cost you a buttload of money. Still, you expect to be called "Sir", you expect to have your reasonable and legal requests honored, i.e. "Excuse me, officer, but the reason for my erratic lane change is that it feels like my blood sugar is getting low, and I was reaching for a hard candy to help fix it, when the (wrapped) candy fell on the floor. I'd like to get that now, please." This as opposed to getting a case of diarrhea of the mouth and babbling at him about anything and everything-where you're going, what you're doing, etc., as if you can trust him to "have your back". Ever notice in the Miranda warning, it says, "...Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law..."?
    It does not say "...for or against you..." because anything the officer hears you say that would be exculpatory will be regarded as "hearsay" in court, while anything incriminating will become evidence.

The issue of whether or not you are armed or whether or not he has your permission to search your vehicle has been covered ad nauseum here. Put simply, if it's not something you'd tell the guy next to you in line, or it's not something you'd let the guy next door do, just because he asked, it's not something you have any reason to allow a LEO to do. (the only exceptions to this in re: information I can think of involve you handing over your license, registration, and proof of insurance and your LTCH on request. Obviously, you have to follow his lawful orders. In reality, you have to follow his unlawful orders, too, or eat sidewalk with a knee in your back, but at least with those, you have recourse later.)

I might not answer the question of my destination directly, but I would not obviously avoid it.. an answer of, "the store" or "nowhere special" suffices just as well, and while I would not lie, I might choose that precise moment he asks the question to change the destination I had in mind, if I have some reason to not wish to say.

As for "how high", see my comment above about his lawful or even unlawful orders.

Finally, if you do choose to go into "dick mode", he probably will, too, and he has the presumption of honesty from the courts. This will not bode well for you, I think, so you may want to reconsider that decision.

You're correct, their job does suck, many times. I'm not going to make it harder, but I'm also not going to voluntarily allow them to make my life harder because that's the job they chose to do.

I'm not a cop, I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not a judge. I am an American citizen, however, and before that, a human being with rights that no one, badge, poofy wig, or black robe notwithstanding, has the right to take from me. Our Constitution guarantees those rights, and the judge and the LEO both swore to uphold that Constitution. I'm just holding them to their oaths.

Blessings,
    Bill

Excellent post, and thanks for your insight. THIS was the kind of reasoning I was looking for. I still wouldn't do most of those things listed, just because of life experience. YMMV, but since being "friendly", answering questions and being forthright about my firearms has worked, saving me thousands in insurance premiums, hundreds in tickets and at least 6 points on my license, I'll stick with it.

But it's good to know why people would do these things.

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sorry you are unaware of the facts that Rhino presented but that doesn't change things.

Rhino's compiled that list of things to do from other websites where LEO are heavily involved. I've seen similar suggestions many times from people much more in the know than you or I.

You may think I'm trying to argue with you but I'm just letting you know you can stop and learn something from his posts.

He's right even though you don't understand it. Police have the authority to pull you over. They can't keep you there longer than necessary. If you ask to go and they have no reason to keep you, they must let you go. Rhino is suggesting to speed that process up as opposed to wasting your time.

I think you and I are bound to spar a LOT on these forums. We're both brash, but sometimes your wording, well, frankly, sucks. It's possible that it only comes off this way because I'm reading in print as opposed to FTF, so I'll assume that's it.

But in print, you have a distinct way of talking to people like they are toddlers.

To start off by calling Rhino's posts "facts" and "because I am unaware of the facts presented doesn't change things" automatically starts things off on the wrong foot.

And with all due respect, to say "he's right even though you don't understand it" after someone posts their opinions, doesn't make him "right." As it relates to this, he is only 'right' because his thoughts align with yours. The fact is that it's STILL his opinion, and not all officers, (regardless of where he got this information from) might agree with it.

One thing's for sure; we can ALL learn something; from everyone's posts. :D

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    The only thing I would add to this is that what difference does it make if you are pulled over for (what you believe to be) a legitimate reason or not? No ticket is the goal.

Yes and no. Sure, you don't WANT a ticket, but if a LEO is going to waste my time on a bogus stop, I'm more than happy to take his ticket. I'm not going to get into a long debate about this part, but for me, if I am wronged, I'll go to great lengths to make it right. And if part of that is verbally protesting that I think he's a POS for pulling me over for no reason, so be it. And in this particular scenario, pulling me over just to "check me out" by saying I didn't use my turn signal qualifies that particular LEO as a POS.

We all want to defend our rights yet many times we tuck tail, even though we KNOW we're in the right. I believe you should be extra polite to LEO's when being pulled over legitimately, but to waste my time on an illegitimate stop is an abuse of authority and I'm not going to sit, tail tucked, while it happens. It goes back to being treated how you want to be treated. Treat me fairly and vice versa. Why would I be courteous to someone who comes up to me with a blatant lie? Why should you either? The badge isn't reason enough; we're both humans before he was a LEO.

Top Bottom