• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Some great ideas already posted. I always take headlines from the news (i.e. katrina to a robbery/shooting at the local shop-n-rob) and simply ask "what would we do in this situation?"

DocBoCook

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2010
    Clermont
    No one mentioned "Patriots" by Rawles, a known Survival Blogger? Shame. Shows what stocking, planning and training can do in a SHTF situation.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Tell her that you care so much about her an her kids that when you watch stuff about the earthquake in Haiti and the floods in Australia on the news, you worry about them. Tell her that when you see those disaster scenes, you see kids without any food or water and hear about terrible things happening to the women in the public shelters and you just can't stand the thought that something like that could happen to them. Tell her that you know it's kind of nuts, but if you stock up on some extra food and water, tp, etc, you'll sleep alot better knowing that, in the really unlikely event something like that were to happen, they'd be alright.

If she buys that load of crap then we'll help you think up some way to convince her that the Barrett is for them too.:laugh:

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Thanks everyone, INGO is now my most visited web site..

I already told her if I ever hit the lottery more then likely the ATF will show up cause they won't like the arsenal I purchase. A Barrett or two is at the top of the list.. Oh and assoted .50 cal ammo, and a .577 T-Rex and some other big caliber weapons..

Thanks again!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Thanks everyone, INGO is now my most visited web site..

I already told her if I ever hit the lottery more then likely the ATF will show up cause they won't like the arsenal I purchase. A Barrett or two is at the top of the list.. Oh and assoted .50 cal ammo, and a .577 T-Rex and some other big caliber weapons..

Thanks again!

Don't worry about it, some of us already have that arsenal and haven't (yet) been visited :D

Gunruner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Just to add my two cents worth, there is a lot of good info here being given.

I have been listening to Survival Podcast You can download episodes or listen to the last 10 or so from this link.

He has tons of info, like how to talk to a non-suportive spouse/significant other. Episodes this week have been:

Planning and Building the Suburban Homestead

Herbal Actions- Part Three

Chef Keith Snow on Cooking from Your Preps and the Field

Monetary Myths and the Debt Ceiling

An Interview with David Crawford Author of Lights Out

The Patriot Nurse Joins Us on TSP

Also, he advocates stock what you use and use what you stock.

I agree with what several others said above, as far as firearms/ammo. Do it slowly. Don't kill your budget. Other than zombies, a single firearm and one to two boxes of ammo will be more that sufficient. Instead of having 50 guns and 100 cases of ammo, purchase a video or two or take a training class. Mag-Pul Videos on tactical rifle, pistol or shotgun will cover almost anything you need to know. There are advertizing sponsors on the board that offer tactical training. For the price of a shotgun, learn to use what you have the right way. Which is better - 100 misses with a 45 or one hit with a 22.

And never lie about your preps to her. A little omission, maybe, but never lie. Getting caught in a lie will stop any progress you have made with her. And she will fight you the whole way, even if she can see the reasoning behind the why.

And lastly, DON'T PANIC BUY!!!!! Plan out your purchases when possible.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Thanks Gunruner, I will check out the pod casts. Oh and she does support me 100% on the food and such, at least until I go out beyond 3 months, cause that means we will be storing food and supplies in new places that we currently don't now.

She just "doesn"t get it" when it comes to weapons. BUT, I did get a friend of mine's wife to at least get her to handle her EDC weapon and "try it on for size", you know how women are..

The recomendation for training is something I have considered a top priority when I find something I can get setup, buy or read.. I have had some very good training but we won't go into details about all of that and I actually practice some things daily that if she witnessed would get me laughed at until it would ever be needed...

My GF understands that the reason for everything I do is to keep us all safe, secure and provide for us no matter what.

Now a days she actually clowns me mostly about the fact everytime she uses one of the computers or looks at my phone that the INGO site is up... I kill time reading..

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Well she now says I am addicted.. To INGO and the prepping and building the weapons cash up..lol But, she hasn't stopped me, not that she would. I will convert her..lol

Thanks to everyone, this site is awesome..

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    at least until I go out beyond 3 months, cause that means we will be storing food and supplies in new places that we currently don't now.

When it comes to thinks like MRE's (just mentioned them since they are popular for storage) you can break them down and get rid of a lot of the stuff you may not need or want..... for instance if you don't drink coffee and can't stand it you can collect all those packets and sell them for a few bucks or something. To give you an idea I can put 4 meals in the space of 2 meals that are sealed in the pouch.... most of it is just reorganizing/taping and not throwing away.

Sometimes it helps you out a lot when things look smaller then they really are..... not to mention it frees up space for other stuff.

thenewguy199

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2011
    Its not just for you

My girlfriend knows that I buy stuff(guns, knives, gear, food, water) but doesn't really care or ask me about it. I started raising chickens in the last year just to see if I could and she thought I was nuts. I have tried to explain that you just never know what could happen and you need to be at least a little prepared for the things that could happen. I like to read books on new skills and read about things on the internet. I feel that I am not only preparing for myself, but for her too. Even if she is naive about it, I still feel it is my responsibility to take care of her if something were to happen. Even if the power went out a few days, most people would freak out and it is nice to know that you can take care of yourself and not run to the grocery store with the mob and panic buy.

JayPea

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Youngsville
    For us, our wake up call was Katrina. I worked in NOLA at the time but lived in TX. After seeing what transpired, and living along the coastal area, my wife and I decided to create a SHTF kit and supplies. Two weeks later when Rita threatened we solidified our plan and have kept up with it since. I'm very interested in reading the books mentioned here and appreciate the feedback as well, but experience is the best teacher IMHO. Try to make the most of any mini-disaster (ice storm snow storm) to illustrate what could be. Good luck!

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Mine is coming over to the dark side slowly but surely.

First, she has had no problem with stocking up more on food and supplies.

Second, thanks to some wonderful friends she has agreed to get some training and her LTCH and start carrying in her purse. Eventlyally I want her to carry on her person but one step at a time.

Thirdly, since the recent and still impending ice and winter storms, she has been glas that we are some what prepared and organized and are ready for things..

I am short a few major items, like a generator and fuel cans for it, more storage for food, more non-perishables, more stuff period but she has came around for the msot part and understand..

I can't wait for the day where I think I am prepared for 3 months worth of food and emergency power for a week. That is my goal for the next couple months.

Thanks again to everyone for their input, information, shared experiences, etc.. Thanks, we appreciate it.

Top Bottom