• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    Does anyone out there expect for me still use them?

I use mine for different hunting aspects, and when I do, I seem to get a lot of grief for it :):

Some think it is "unnecessary". I think its "awesome".

So you guys that have them, do you use them for hunting? Or are they just more of a closet ornament?

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have several. Two are in use during hunting season. Sometimes I prefer not to climb the stands but hunt and stalk on the ground. The third one holds personal value so its locked away with a lot of my inherited Military mementos/collectables. I have a fourth one that hasn't been used in years because I used to use it when I played paintball with my friends out in the woods when I was in high school.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    They are my favorite halloween costume. When I say trick or treat they say where are you. I dont get it.

OkieHoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    I use one every deer season. Inherited it from my dad when he passed away. I am not a big marketing guy so when I deer hunt the only scent blocker/eliminator/reducer/whatever I use is on my boots. I hunt the wind and prefer to wear blue jeans and comfortable shirts. Ghillie suits are perfect for me. I get out of the truck, slip it on and away I go.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When I first started hunting, I used to go all out. Now I lay down some burlap to sit on and a pad, got bdu pants on, tshirt if it's warm, and a camo coat if it's cold. Don't bother to try to disguise scent. I usually get a deer opening day, often in the morning. Maybe the next day on occasion. I got a book to read and some snacks.

Now, if my life was a stake because someone was hunting me while I was hunting them, it'd be a whole different story.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Don't the suits run afoul of Blaze Orange rules?

(forgive me, I'm not a hunter...don't keep up on that particular aspect of the regs)

-J-

RGriff69

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    Don't the suits run afoul of Blaze Orange rules?

(forgive me, I'm not a hunter...don't keep up on that particular aspect of the regs)

-J-

You don't have to wear orange during bow season.

I have made a couple ghillie suits. Don't wear them to hunt in though.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    It depends on how its used, and what season you are hunting. As long as the hunter orange rules are followed, you can wear whatever you want. For the purpose of deer hunting, I think the main benefit is breaking up the outline of a person.

I do not use ghillie suits for hunting, as I find them to be one more thing to deal with, and my regular hunting clothes have always worked fine.
    As far as other uses, I have used one for stalking exercises, and on occasion still get it out when my buddy and I want to get nostalgic with our training.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I do not hunt.I do not own one.
    But ... if I were to hunt I would want to use one. :D
    I dont think it's silly for a hunter to use one.
    Also it might be dangerous in case you get shot by another hunter by accident.

Mosinowner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    If you see kids wrapping you. Go into your yard hide in the bushes, when they try to get the bushes slowly rise with a glock and a laser sight. hehehe well you can do that in texas anyways

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    i don't technically use a ghili suit. I bought a mossy oak duck blind and made some modifications to it. so i go into the woods in wheelchair in comfortable clothes and wrap the duck blind around me and disappear into the abyss. dont get into the whole scent blocker stuff. i was taught to just sit down, shut up, and they will come. my wheelchair is also painted digital army camo on seat back and cushion with OD green frame. some people freak out when they see me out and about. apparently it looks like im just floating around. my camo chair is hard to see i guess

Kase

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    If you see kids wrapping you. Go into your yard hide in the bushes, when they try to get the bushes slowly rise with a glock and a laser sight. hehehe well you can do that in texas anyways

There's no way in HELL I'd do that!!

Not with some POS Glock anyway.......:laugh:

:laugh:Maybe a 686:D

nsenneking

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2011
    Ballstown
    i dont really use a ghille suit but a light leafy camo suit does the trick for turkey and deer hunting. besides it breaking up my outline it is also very convienent since i can wear just jeans a sweatshirt and just put on the light outer layer

Top Bottom