Ripley County

$547

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Why buy a copy when you can own an original? Save your “pennies” until you can buy the real McCoy. By way of analogy: Which is better to buy your significant other: A dozen daisies or one perfect red rose? Hhmmmm?

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm not usually into copies but I have shot a friend's Girsan non-tacticool model unlike the OP post and it ran good and was accurate enough to carry. The price of a Belgian Hi-Power just continues to rise even with these imports coming in. I've not seen a current model SA Hi-Power in-stock to see current pricing.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan

$547

Another point of view.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Which is better to buy your significant other: A dozen daisies or one perfect red rose? Hhmmmm?
    All depends on the significant other or who is giving them. I’ve seen my wife put dandelions in a vase and display with the greatest pride when given by one of their children. I’ve given carnations because the last longer. She liked that too.

As it applies to pistols your analogy falls short because of a thing called value. Getting the same quality item for less is always a good thing. If they are really garbage, we’ll find out soon enough. If the are great, and we have one, we’ll be thrilled and we can buy ammo or training….. ;)

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    I'm not usually into copies but I have shot a friend's Girsan non-tacticool model unlike the OP post and it ran good and was accurate enough to carry. The price of a Belgian Hi-Power just continues to rise even with these imports coming in. I've not seen a current model SA Hi-Power in-stock to see current pricing.
    I bought my SA-35 for $699 but, it was the only one they had.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    JMB got it right the first time.
    He didn’t make the significant changes in design that brought out the BHP.

"The Browning Hi-Power is a single-action, semi-automatic pistol available in the 9×19mm Parabellum and .40 S&Wcalibers. It was based on a design by American firearms inventor John Browning, and completed by Dieudonné Saive at FN Herstal. Browning died in 1926, several years before the design was finalized. FN Herstal named it the "High Power" in allusion to the 13-round magazine capacity, almost twice that of other designs at the time, such as the Luger or Colt M1911."

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    He didn’t make the significant changes in design that brought out the BHP.

"The Browning Hi-Power is a single-action, semi-automatic pistol available in the 9×19mm Parabellum and .40 S&Wcalibers. It was based on a design by American firearms inventor John Browning, and completed by Dieudonné Saive at FN Herstal. Browning died in 1926, several years before the design was finalized. FN Herstal named it the "High Power" in allusion to the 13-round magazine capacity, almost twice that of other designs at the time, such as the Luger or Colt M1911."

Built the foundation.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    What exactly was hot garbage about it, he didn't notice any issues with shooting it. Most of his complaints were personal preference or just issues any HP is going to have that are just inherent in the design.
    Front sight going Mia. Optic coming loose. Things that shouldn’t get past QC

Dog1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 15, 2010
    Clark County, Indiana
    If it was me I wouldn't have necessarily put a ding on the front sight insert coming out. I've had several front sights inserts that were straight from the factory that flew out of the end of the front sight. Once during competition which that sucks. Those things just happen.

I don't really care for some of the things on the Girsan. The elongated beaver tail. I understand that some people get hammer bite with the P35 series of handguns, I've owned them since the '80s I've never had any problem with hammer bite.

I don't like the grips that much, those can be easily changed to something like Micarta grips.

Not a huge fan of the big roll marks. I think Springfield did it really right when they popped out the SA-35 with the minimal roll marks.

I do like the rail. It does update the design for the use of lights or lasers. Having experimented with carry optics and finding out that really I'm just as fast with iron sights as with a RDS, having the ability to mount optic isn't that important to me, but it is nice to have that option and it updates the design.

I think that I would probably lean more toward the Springfield variant and wait and see where these shake out. Now with that said I did have the dreaded extractor problem because I have a early serial number of the SA-35, but that was easily fixed with a quality extractor from Cylinder and Slide.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Agreed, but then I wouldn't purchase a NIB gun with a no name optic. I wonder if a quality optic would have the same issues if installed properly and it's then an issue with the cut/threads, etc which would be a fault of the gun itself.

All of that is of course on the OEM (or distributor of added there) and not letting them off the hook, but that may not directly be a gun issue.

zachcz

CZ is just better.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Jul 2, 2019
    Shelbyville
    Agreed, but then I wouldn't purchase a NIB gun with a no name optic. I wonder if a quality optic would have the same issues if installed properly and it's then an issue with the cut/threads, etc which would be a fault of the gun itself.

All of that is of course on the OEM (or distributor of added there) and not letting them off the hook, but that may not directly be a gun issue.
    I agree the optic is junk but not being mounted properly to me is more a sign of build quality. It’s hard to mess us two screws and threads

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    True, it looks like some were losing the fiber optic from the get go but there's a reason a lot of companies give you a baggie of replacements, they know they don't last. I think most people are going to ditch that optic from the start, we'll have to tell Mac there's an invention called a screwdriver, not sure why he made such a big deal about that but I guess videos where there's nothing really to report probably don't get shared lol.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Now I just need to see if springfield armory will make a detective version. Girsan apparently has what they are calling the PI:

There's an article about it also in the new American Handgunner magazine out this month.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom