• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pitbull88

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    West Lafayette, IN
    I would like to get my son (16 years old) a rifle or pistol for Christmas. I was looking at the 10/22 takedown or Ruger MkIII or Browning Buckmark--something he can practice with, cheap.

How do I do this legally? Can I buy the gun, and simply give it to him? Is he legally able to own a gun in Indiana?

BTW, my wife will not be pleased.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Pitbull,
    Yes, as a parent you can legally buy the rifle and present it to him as a gift.

When you fill out the 4473 form YOU will be the "purchaser/buyer" and you will go through the background check.

If it were your next door neighbor, you could pay for the gun and let him/her go through the background check.

He can legally possess a rifle at 16. I don't know if he can actually "own" it in the eyes of the law.
    At 18 he can buy and sell long guns and ammo in Indiana.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Pitbull,
    Yes, as a parent you can legally buy the rifle and present it to him as a gift.

When you fill out the 4473 form YOU will be the "purchaser/buyer" and you will go through the background check.

If it were your next door neighbor, you could pay for the gun and let him/her go through the background check.

He can legally possess a rifle at 16. I don't know if he can actually "own" it in the eyes of the law.
    At 18 he can buy and sell long guns and ammo in Indiana.

:+1: on most of that.

Why could you not also gift a gun to your neighbor?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    :+1: on most of that.

Why could you not also gift a gun to your neighbor?

You could, I don't believe it would be outside the law.
    It would just eliminate any idea of a "straw" purchase.
    I've gifted several firearms. If they go to family, I hand them to them.

If I gift a friend, I let them go through the background check.

I've gifted a couple of Crickett rifles here on Ingo. I let the kids parents go through the background check, more to cover my rear than anything else.

Bluejeeper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Montgomery County

I've gifted a couple of Crickett rifles here on Ingo. I let the kids parents go through the background check, more to cover my rear than anything else.

Ahh gotcha:yesway:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011

If your giving/gifting a rifle to to someone in Indiana, why the background check? Do you question their residency or they're not a proper person? :dunno:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    If your giving/gifting a rifle to to someone in Indiana, why the background check? Do you question their residency or they're not a proper person? :dunno:

If it is someone I have no knowledge of then yes, it IS a question of them being a "proper person" and I have no way to check that.
    This is not a hard and fast rule with me, just something I do when I have a question about legality.
    I have both sold and gifted long guns to Indiana residents without a background check, but I always keep it as an option.

trailrider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    GREENSBURG
    If it is someone I have no knowledge of then yes, it IS a question of them being a "proper person" and I have no way to check that.
    This is not a hard and fast rule with me, just something I do when I have a question about legality.
    I have both sold and gifted long guns to Indiana residents without a background check, but I always keep it as an option.
    Why would anyone ever give/gift a gun to someone they have no knowledge of?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I would like to get my son (16 years old) a rifle or pistol for Christmas. I was looking at the 10/22 takedown or Ruger MkIII or Browning Buckmark--something he can practice with, cheap.

How do I do this legally? Can I buy the gun, and simply give it to him? Is he legally able to own a gun in Indiana?

BTW, my wife will not be pleased.

You will purchase it and be the 'owner' until some time in the future. Your wife will need some kind words of assurance that it will only be in his hands under close adult supervision, otherwise it will be locked away in the safe.

This Christmas we will be giving our 3rd son his first firearm. It will be a Ruger 10/22 (probably the 50th Anniversary model). He is 10 years old. He has already proven his proficiency with a 10/22 topped with a red dot @ 30 yards.

Good luck! You'll do fine.

:patriot: :ingo:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Why would anyone ever give/gift a gun to someone they have no knowledge of?

I guess we think differently.
    I've made a habit in the past few years of doing what I can to promote the shooting sports.

I became a certified NRA basic pistol instructor so I could help others learn to shoot safely.

I volunteered at my local range to teach the "First Shots" program, sponsored by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation").
    I taught 3 classes, one Saturday a month, for just over 3 years, before the range discontinued the program.

I've given away Crickett rifles to kids on at least 4 different sites.
    I did not know a single one of these kids or their parents.
    Since I always try to CMOA (cover my own anatomical body part) I had the kids parents undergo the background check. I just thought it would be a great way to help someone less fortunate than myself to be able to teach their children the shooting sports while keeping my own best interests in mind.

What is wrong with giving a stranger ANYTHING, even a firearm?

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Just don't mention that the gun is a gift to the sales clerk, I was in a Dick's and a mother told the clerk she was buying the gun as a gift for her son and the clerk informed her it was a straw purchase and refused to sell her the gun. I know first mistake it's Dicks.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Just don't mention that the gun is a gift to the sales clerk, I was in a Dick's and a mother told the clerk she was buying the gun as a gift for her son and the clerk informed her it was a straw purchase and refused to sell her the gun. I know first mistake it's Dicks.

That is an issue with the sales clerk not being aware of the law.
    It is NOT a straw purchase.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    You are misinformed.
    While I admit I'm not sure the exact ATF rules on the subject, it's could be considered a way to avoid having the background check done on yourself. This is the precise reason we don't allow it at BGF. Someone not related to the person filling out the 4473 cannot pay for the gun.

Top Bottom