• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    While I admit I'm not sure the exact ATF rules on the subject, it's could be considered a way to avoid having the background check done on yourself. This is the precise reason we don't allow it at BGF. Someone not related to the person filling out the 4473 cannot pay for the gun.

I dont blame you. On the other side of the counter, when my wife wanted to buy her first gun, we went in together and she picked it out. I helped, but when the rubber met the road, I stepped back and told her that it was her purchase so she was dealing with the gentleman behind the counter. She did it all and I just stood there and looked sexy.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    While I admit I'm not sure the exact ATF rules on the subject, it's could be considered a way to avoid having the background check done on yourself. This is the precise reason we don't allow it at BGF. Someone not related to the person filling out the 4473 cannot pay for the gun.[/Q
    UOTE]

Why are you in the business of selling firearms if you do not know and understand the ATF regulations regarding sales?
    The "buyer" is the person the firearm is transferred to in the background check process.
    The person that pays the bill is of no concern to the ATF, only the person who receives the firearm.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    While I admit I'm not sure the exact ATF rules on the subject, it's could be considered a way to avoid having the background check done on yourself. This is the precise reason we don't allow it at BGF. Someone not related to the person filling out the 4473 cannot pay for the gun.
    That's probably a pretty good policy. Way too close to a straw purchase, if not the definition of a straw purchase conducted in plain sight.
    Why are you in the business of selling firearms if you do not know and understand the ATF regulations regarding sales?
    A lot times the ATF doesn't understand the regulations.
    The "buyer" is the person the firearm is transferred to in the background check process.
    The person that pays the bill is of no concern to the ATF, only the person who receives the firearm.
    I'm not sure you're right. I by a gun as a gift I pay, I receive immediately, but the end recipient is someone else.

Mgderf, If you come into my store with Squiggly and he picks out a gun, but you pay... then who fills out the F4473? I'd say you, the buyer and gifter, and not Squiggly, the giftee.

If there's ten days between buying and gifting then the gifter would fill out the F4473. So those two events are separated by seconds, way would other things change?

Oh and Pitbull, did you try searching INGO for your answer?
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/search.php?searchid=2591947

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Guns as Christmas gifts or birthday gifts has been a part of our family for several years. My youngest was 13 when we bought him his SKS. At 14, he got a rebuilt pre-B CZ 75. At 15, he got CajunGunWorks parts. As long as they are safely and properly stored and used, there is no downside to giving a firearm. As a parent, it's perfectly legal and is a great way to reward maturity. Now, if he were an immature, blithering idiot, he would be limited to childrens toys.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    90   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I gave my son his AR when he turned 16. Now he is 18 and I will give him his first handgun, an XD, for Christmas. My daughter will also get her first gun, an 10/22 this year. Got no money for guns, so they will both be hand-me-down gifts, but my kids know the value of expensive things. They are very understanding and mature.

Yahoo, guns for everyone...

'cept me.

I find it odd that you can get your licence to carry in this state at 18, but can't buy a handgun, or even handgun ammo, at a store until you're 21. Weird state.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    As it was stated by someone else, even ATF agents can interpret things different ways. The policy we all follow at BGF is as I stated before. I'm sure Greg would allow customers to purchase firearms in the way you stated if that was something the ATF had said we could do. The fact of the matter is, if we allow it that way, it can be abused by straw purchasers. If I was a felon and my friend wasn't, we could go into the gun store and simply say I was paying for the gun as a gift to my friend, acquire said gun and leave the store. All the friend has to do is give me the gun and I'm on my way. We do everything we can to keep our hands clean of any nefarious situations, and that policy is one way to do so. And to answer your question as to why am I in the business of selling firearms if I don't know and understand the exact ATF regulations? Simple. It doesn't matter what I understand about them or not. I'm an employee and I do as I'm told.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    State allows carry at 18. Feds require you to be 21 to purchase the handgun and ammo.

There is no such age requirement for purchases of handguns or ammo, the federal law only restricts FFLs from selling/transferring handguns and handgun ammo to anyone under 21.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    There is no such age requirement for purchases of handguns or ammo, the federal law only restricts FFLs from selling/transferring handguns and handgun ammo to anyone under 21.
    Well yes. That's what I meant. I didn't think we were discussing private sales.

jss1956

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Indiana the Armpit
    I'm going to side step the legal issues being debated and respond with my own experience with guns as a gift.

I asked the group on this site on the best firearm I could get my son when he graduated from high school. Several wise folks suggested a Colt Gold Cup 45. Well that's what I got him. Took me over a year of searching, but I found a model produced the same week he was born. Set me back a bunch. But watching him when he opened it made it worth the dollars and then some. He's become really good with a handgun and is actually better than me but no way am I going to tell him.

Was my wife happy? Absolutely Not! Was it cheap? No. Is it cheap to shoot? No. But I can tell you that, without a doubt, he will keep this gun for life and will never forget receiving it. It's not the first gun I got him but it without a doubt made the biggest impression. He keeps his first .22 along with the Colt locked in a small safe in his old bedroom. When he comes home from college, he frequently asks me "are you going to the range this weekend"?

I think you are fine from a legal standpoint. I wouldn't worry too much about him selling the gun. If he's anything like my son or me, he will keep and cherish them for life.

Top Bottom