• ...and so much more!
  • Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Damn that sun!!
    What cracks me up is that some activists in the US want to turn us back to the stone ages, but China, India, (both these especially) and a host of other nations have no will, ability or intent to discontinue the use of fossil fuels. Even if we were appreciably increasing the average temperatures, we (the US) could cease to exist and there would be no significant improvement. Oh wait....
    Isn't that just what China wants? An end to the USA (political system) so that they can realize their goal of world domination.
    Naw, couldn't be that.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Exactly. The hubris of those who think that we have the power to so directly and drastically affect the global climate just amazes me.

We're not going to be able to drastically effect global climate until sometime after someone figures out how to reliably model the global weather. Being able to reliably predict rain would be a start; being able to reliably predict the path of a hurricane would be another start. For the most part, the Old Farmer's Almanac is as reliable as your local weatherman.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    What is all the alarm about? The temps were higher on average during the height of the Roman Empire, and then again during the Middle Ages. Vikings colonized Iceland, which was green, Greenland, which was green, and sailed to Ellesmere Island to trade with the Inuits.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    What is all the alarm about? The temps were higher on average during the height of the Roman Empire, and then again during the Middle Ages. Vikings colonized Iceland, which was green, Greenland, which was green, and sailed to Ellesmere Island to trade with the Inuits.

These are the easiest examples for people to understand when it comes to natural climate shift - Viking farms in Greenland and bountiful vineyards in England.

Climategate – Greenland Another Inconvenient Truth « Tory Aardvark

RealClimate: Medieval warmth and English wine

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dybber
    30 years ago they were yelling global cooling and predicting the next ice age was upon us. They were wrong then and they are wrong now.

It's a good thing we have you around to set folks straight based on your vast experience, data, and research.

Global cooling was the theory in the mid 1970's

I PERSONALLY was at Indiana University Bloomington then.

The courses I took in the School of Public and Environmental Affairs (SPEA) were teaching GLOBAL COOLING.

Last edited:

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    It's a good thing we have you around to set folks straight based on your vast experience, data, and research.

Feel free to look it up. Time magazine did an article on it. Unfortunately I don't have the volume and page number handy for you. I didn't realize every post had to be authenticated.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shibumiseeker

Feel free to look it up. Time magazine did an article on it. Unfortunately I don't have the volume and page number handy for you. I didn't realize every post had to be authenticated.

I see by your age that you weren't of age in the 1970's

I was, and I can back you up that I was taught Global Cooling in the mid 1970's at IU Bloomington.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shibumiseeker

I see by your age that you weren't of age in the 1970's

I was, and I can back you up that I was taught Global Cooling in the mid 1970's at IU Bloomington.

I can remember this discussion coming up when Global Warming first appeared on the scene. Arguing to the insufficiency of value regarding anecdotal evidence of the fact that global cooling/impending ice age was being preached them is not different than us finding ourselves in another 20 years or so dealing with some smart guy born about now who swears that 'global warming' never happened when they are back to preaching ice age.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I can remember this discussion coming up when Global Warming first appeared on the scene. Arguing to the insufficiency of value regarding anecdotal evidence of the fact that global cooling/impending ice age was being preached them is not different than us finding ourselves in another 20 years or so dealing with some smart guy born about now who swears that 'global warming' never happened when they are back to preaching ice age.

The difference being, according to some researchers, we're about 25000 years overdue for our next Ice Age (they've been occurring about every 250,000 years). Of course, Sol is a variable star, so perhaps it'll flare and burn us up before the next Ice Age gets us. . .

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    The difference being, according to some researchers, we're about 25000 years overdue for our next Ice Age (they've been occurring about every 250,000 years). Of course, Sol is a variable star, so perhaps it'll flare and burn us up before the next Ice Age gets us. . .

Good point, but still, it seems that the argument is being made from a perspective very similar to my childhood misconception that my grandparents had always been old.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Actually, my point is that the Sun is the major driver in global warming/cooling. And MAN has no control over it.

I meant the general GW argument, not yours. I agree completely that man's control over it exists strictly in his own mind such that it is truth to the sheep, falsehood to the wise, and useful to the scoundrel politician.

Top Bottom