• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seven High

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    If possible, get her a revolver. Something like a Ruger snubnose. They have smooth, easy to use actions.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    ...Should I expect my wife to know how to operate the weapon?...
    Unequivocally, yes.

As for problems racking the slide, keeping one in the chamber is only part of the solution. What if the gun has a failure to fire or feed, failure to eject or double-feed (for whatever reason)? Gonna run around the house (or wherever) looking for some place to rack the slide on a table? The operator may NEED to be able to rack the slide, as well as just the simple fact that they SHOULD be able to rack the slide.

For a time, my wife had some challenge in racking slides on the various semi-autos (she has since become adept and proficient). However, for someone with physical limitations, this may not be a possibility.

While the wife was going through this issue, I had seriously considered buying her a Boberg (and may still do so). Due to the design and functionality of the Boberg, racking the slide takes but a fraction of the effort it takes on most other semi-autos.

Perhaps this could be an option for the OP's wife? Fair warning, Boberg's aren't 'cheap'. Currently their XR9 (9mm) is in the price range of $1300. However, this may be a better option than figuring out any 'work around' to rack the slide on a more conventional semi-auto.

JMO, for a firearm that's to be used for self-defense, being able to handle and manipulate the gun as designed, safely, efficiently, and completely, is of paramount importance. 'Work arounds' MAY be 'okay', but are often best left to those who have complete mastery of that firearm, not for the novice or 'occasional' user.

Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. Right now she has the mossberg at the house and she says that sh will never have to shoot it cause when someone sees a crazy woman with a gun they will leave immediately. I probably get the g19 instead and down the road maybe a 45. I just really wanted to try a 1911 and don't know if I would disturbing my hide to something along the lines as a high standard or ria. Thanks again

Well hopefully that will hold true because if she can't shoot someone or more so isn't prepared to (some people can't) it could turn into a bad situation. Not all criminals run away when facing a gun, especially in a home invasion situation where she would be defending herself... Make sure she realizes that and is prepared if she's going to defend herself. Nothing says her attacker won't be armed.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    First vote would be a Ruger wheel gun. Second option leave one in the chamber. Those are the only two options by my opinion.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks for the replies. Right now she has the mossberg at the house and she says that sh will never have to shoot it cause when someone sees a crazy woman with a gun they will leave immediately. I probably get the g19 instead and down the road maybe a 45. I just really wanted to try a 1911 and don't know if I would disturbing my hide to something along the lines as a high standard or ria. Thanks again

Nothing wrong with an SR1911 for yourself and a G17 for the wife for home protection. As others have mentioned, leave one in the chamber and you're good to go, though having your wife learn how to handle the gun properly is an even better idea.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    There is no such thing as a perfect gun. The 17 you have is a sweet gun and one I would suggest keeping and utilizing. Glock is as close to perfect as your going to get for a defensive pistol.

Keep it stoked and you could easily add a rack assist lever to the slide. It is what open class competitors use in game type guns. I think they make one that takes the place of the rear slide cover plate. Slide the cover plate out and slide in the new cover/lever. Love Glocks!

Main thing is to practice.

maver1ck

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    107   0   0
    Nov 17, 2013
    NW indiana
    A thought about putting one of these on mine
    Slide Pull Charging Handle for Glock 9mm

In the end I decided against it as I didn't like how it looked. I have to agree with most in that it is probably best to keep one in the pipe, but in the event she has a malfunction and has to clear the action that won't help her if she cannot rack slide to clear FTE, stovepipe, etc. If she cannot properly manipulate the slide, perhaps a revolver would be best for her. Whatever you do, don't get rid of it-G17's rock!

Top Bottom