• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Finally got my hands on a G19, 4th gen and was looking for everyone's advice on some extra goodies for it. (Yes, I know I've got to break it in with a couple hundred rounds, but after the first trip to the range after lunch today I'm already getting antsy to make this great gun an amazing gun).

Am thinking Ameriglo/Trijicon night sights, light, and a carry holster. Can you all all share your experiences???

Thanks all!
    :patriot:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Steel square profile night sights, extra magazines, and a holster(s) are all you need.

Meprolights and Trijicon's work fine.

Factory mags - at least 6 total (buy 4 more G17 mags).

So many different holsters depending on how you want to carry, your build, how much you want to spend, etc.

If you want a light, the Streamlight TLR-1 is a good value.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy

Lol. This^^^^

And I agree, night sights if you do not like the Glock sights (shoot it with stock ones first to know whether or not there may be a sight issue with the new ones), extra mags and a good holster. I like the Galco CON224 (think that's the number) and I have a King Tuk for IWB. Try as many holsters as possible so that you find one that works for you

bmwguru

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    I'm a fan of the G34/35 extended slide lock/release. Factory glock part, bout $12. If its a carry piece that's about all I will change with the exception of the sights. I like trijicons, meprolight's and tru Glo tfo's.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Lol. This^^^^

And I agree, night sights if you do not like the Glock sights (shoot it with stock ones first to know whether or not there may be a sight issue with the new ones), extra mags and a good holster. I like the Galco CON224 (think that's the number) and I have a King Tuk for IWB. Try as many holsters as possible so that you find one that works for you

Another vote for Galco King Tuk.

Definitely shoot it to make sure all is good and everything functions, no brass to face, etc then take it to get new sights installed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Steel square profile night sights, extra magazines, and a holster(s) are all you need.

Meprolights and Trijicon's work fine.

Factory mags - at least 6 total (buy 4 more G17 mags).

So many different holsters depending on how you want to carry, your build, how much you want to spend, etc.

If you want a light, the Streamlight TLR-1 is a good value.

Cosermann has the right answer.

1) Good Holster and Belt. Do Not skimp on the either of these items.
    2) Extra Magazines.
    3) Good set of night sights.
    4) Start with a good handheld light.

Other then that save your money for now. I do agree that the TLR-1 weaponlight is the best for the money, but I would start with a quality handheld light and then add the weapon mounted light later.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

2) Extra Magazines.

Other then that save your money for now. I do agree that the TLR-1 weaponlight is the best for the money, but I would start with a quality handheld light and then add the weapon mounted light later.

I'll add:

5) Before you spend all the money on 1-4, make sure you wouldn't rather have an M&P. :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I'll add:

5) Before you spend all the money on 1-4, make sure you wouldn't rather have an M&P. :D

6) Spend $100 on aftermarket trigger parts so that you can hit something smaller then a barn. :laugh: (I own a Glock and an M&P, both are fine weapons.)

Last edited:

Glock10MM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2012

2) Extra Magazines.

This is good advice.

SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    Glocks don't need to be 'broken in'... They need to be taken to the range and fed lots of ammo with little to no cleaning. As for holsters, There are TONS of threads on that subject. I run either a G Code INCOG (carry and range), or a G Code OSH holster (range). Sights are probably the very first thing you need to look into getting besides a good quality holster and purpose built gun belt.

I cannot reccomend the TruGlo TFO sights, I had them on my old G30 and They were much too bright, bulky, and they had no definable ledge that you can rack off of in the event that you might have to preform a 1 handed manipulation. I am also just not a fan of the three dot system. I prefer (and recommend) something with a clean, blacked out rear sight (10-8, warren tactial, certain ameriglo models) and a front sight with a tritium insert. The blacked out rear i believe is faster and draws your eye to the front sight and makes it easier to focus on. That being said, You should definitely get whatever kind of sights that you feel comfortable with. They should be steel, and from a reputable manufacturer.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I would get the 3 1/2 pound trigger connector used in the Glock 34 and also the slide release from the 34. I like trijicon night sights but that's an opinion but the factory Glock sights kinda suck. Grab some extra mags and ammo and your good. Raven concealment makes some nice kydex rigs to carry your Glock as does galco.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    for my glocks i do: vickers mag release, vickers slide stop, warren tactical sights, 3.5 lb connector, polish, extra factory mags, as for holster i really like the raven vanguard 2, i have a CCC shaggy on the way and from what i have read that thing is supposed to be sweeet.

fyver

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    THANKS guys for all of the opinions. Definitely switching out to night sights, more mags and the elusive ammo... also am needing to find a quick open safe for the bedroom as this will be my go to home defense weapon.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    pretty much echo other's with some exceptions

1) sights. I went w/ sevigny/warren night sights. Very happy with them. I use sevigny on my competition G34, so the commonality is there, just a little wider FS on the night-sight version. Used the G19 w/ night sights in the '12 IN USPSA champtionship, and didn't feel I gave up much over the competition version of the sights.

2) grip plug. Helped w/ my reloads tremendously (kept getting hung up on the bottom of the divider in the back of the mag well). Possible side benefit of keeping dirt out of the action if I end up on the ground in a fight.

3) 2lb lighter recoil spring. I think they are way over-sprung from the factory. Now, even w/ a very loose weak-hand grip (ie just holding on w/ a couple fingers), the gun will run.

I do NOT like extended mag releases on a defensive gun. Mostly due to flashlight use and the roger/surefire method... an extended mag release results in ammo in the dirt using that method. Possible side benefit of helping ensure the mag doesn't get accidently ejected in the hoslter. I've still done sub 1s speed reloads w/ the std mag release.

Also NOT a fan of extended slide release on glocks. I took mine off my G34 and put on a regular one. With my grip, I was continually locking the slide back mid-mag with the extended release. I have no problem hitting the smaller lever when necessary.

-rvb

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    THANKS guys for all of the opinions. Definitely switching out to night sights, more mags and the elusive ammo... also am needing to find a quick open safe for the bedroom as this will be my go to home defense weapon.

If you are living home alone or trust your spouse, just leave your gun out so you can grab it in an instant. If you got kids, yes then you need a quick open safe next to the bed,

Also I don't like an extended release because most of the time I grab the slide and rack it back when reloading from empty. The Gen 4 Glock's slide release isn't that hard to press.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Is it a good idea to get a different trigger for a Glock?

I’ve never found it to be necessary.

... also am needing to find a quick open safe for the bedroom as this will be my go to home defense weapon.

While there will be times when you want/need to stash it somewhere secure, you should consider carrying while home. Home invasions often happen much quicker than most people imagine.

Congratulations on the new pistol, btw.

Top Bottom