• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I know they're basically the same pistol, with some miniscule differences, but who has which and what do you like best or least about either of them?
    Which one do you have...19x or 45...or both?
    On the 19x, do you leave the lip at the front of the grip or remove it?
    On the 45, do you like the flared mag-well?
    I have a buddy who has a Glock 45 he wants to get rid of and I'm just kind of getting the 'what is and isn't...' differences nailed down!
    I'm kind of likin' the feel of the full-sized grip on the G-45 vs the compact grip length of the Glock 19 sized pistol.

Last edited:

ToddG330

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    TX
    I have the 45. The 19x comes with night sights where the 45 generally does not. The 19x comes with 2 19 round mags and a 17 rounder vs 3 17 rounders with the 45. I think it’s hard to go wrong either way honestly. Do you like the color of the 19x? If so go for it!

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    I have both. I like the front serrations on the 45 and had my 19X milled with serrations after training with the 45. I still haven't taken off the tab on the 19X but I'm tempted just for magazine compatibility. I did find out that the Hyve baseplates will work with both without any modification so I need to decide if I want to change all the baseplates or trim the tab. One is a free option and the other isn't. Screenshot_20220118-093217_Photos.jpg

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have the 45. The 19x comes with night sights where the 45 generally does not. The 19x comes with 2 19 round mags and a 17 rounder vs 3 17 rounders with the 45. I think it’s hard to go wrong either way honestly. Do you like the color of the 19x? If so go for it!
    Not really a fan of the 19X FDE...but wouldn't cry about it either!
    I think I'm likin' the flared mag-well as a nifty asset...it kinda lets me know right where the bottom of the grip is as well.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    I have the 45. I like the full sized grip, (can't stand to have my pinkie hanging off) and the shorter slide. It doesn't hang down so far, so the holster doesn't hit the side bolsters on the seat in my car. It's like a commander sized 1911, but in Glock form. I added night sights to it, and a TLR7. Being a stupid Glock, I had to under cut the frame so it wouldn't be uncomfortable to shoot, but it does shoot very well. Looks tiny though next to my Cpt America Bowie... lol.

Captain America with Glock 45 on log.JPG

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have the 45. I prefer the full size grip and the magazines being the same as the 17. One less thing I need to add to logistics. I bought the 45 with the thought if I ever wanted to add a comp I'd end up with a gun that still fits in 17 hosters. Again, one less thing I need to add to logistics.

I like simplified logistics. :D

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I like the 45 over the 19X for a couple reasons. 1 I’m just not into the FDE craze. 2 a 45 will take whatever Gen 4 or 5 mags I have and like others logistics I don’t have to worry if I brought some of my Gen 5 mags.

And 3 I like Ameriglow sights as they shoot POA/POI and put them on all my Glocks except one. (Dawson and a Leupold DPP on my Gen 5 34) Glocks factory night sight is a 6 O’clock hold. And just like Ameriglows

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I had both. Kept the 19x. Nothing wrong with the 45. Just too much redundancy for me with already having several 19s in the mix

randyb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    I am a single Glock owner and went with the 19x. The night sights and price point for when I purchased got me on the Glock wagon. Interestingly I carry it more than my HK's, though that is still what is on my nightstand.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I like the 45 over the 19X for a couple reasons. 1 I’m just not into the FDE craze. 2 a 45 will take whatever Gen 4 or 5 mags I have and like others logistics I don’t have to worry if I brought some of my Gen 5 mags.

And 3 I like Ameriglow sights as they shoot POA/POI and put them on all my Glocks except one. (Dawson and a Leupold DPP on my Gen 5 34) Glocks factory night sight is a 6 O’clock hold. And just like Ameriglows
    With a very small adjustment the 19X will take Gen 5 mags.. No need to remove the little nub. I have both and prefer the 45 simply because I'm not fond of the FDE. Although I usually carry a 19c the 45 I have has been ported like the 19c and will eventually replace the 19 for EDC. For my money the 45 is the perfect carry pistol.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I vote for the G45 over both the 19 and the 19x.

Magazine compatibility, capacity, and full grip. I'm done with guns with grips smaller than my hand.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have both. I like the front serrations on the 45 and had my 19X milled with serrations after training with the 45. I still haven't taken off the tab on the 19X but I'm tempted just for magazine compatibility. I did find out that the Hyve baseplates will work with both without any modification so I need to decide if I want to change all the baseplates or trim the tab. One is a free option and the other isn't. View attachment 176800
    Those top serrations are simple but yet they really set that Coyote Tan slide off very well!!!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I vote for the G45 over both the 19 and the 19x.
    Magazine compatibility, capacity, and full grip. I'm done with guns with grips smaller than my hand.
    I, too, am liking the Gen 5 full-sized grip vs the shorter Glock 19 grip...
    And +2 in the magazine never hurt either!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I, too, am liking the Gen 5 full-sized grip vs the shorter Glock 19 grip...
    And +2 in the magazine never hurt either!

I carry the G45 and keep a G19 as backup. Couple of observations and thoughts...

I like the G45 grip a little better for shooting. That said, the G19 grip is easier to conceal and I wouldn't want to lose track of shooting well with it.

If you have 15 round Glock mags around, you don't want them to get confused and end up on your belt with the G45. Even when carrying the G19, the only 15 round mag is in the gun, all backup mags on belt are 17 (or more) rounds. I have always left the shipped 15 round mags in the Glock factory box.

As far as Glocks overall, I wouldn't want one without forward slide serrations. Nor would I want one going forward that isn't an MOS version. Even if the MOS is never used, the versatility and resale is well worth the investment IMHO.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I like the G45 grip a little better for shooting. That said, the G19 grip is easier to conceal and I wouldn't want to lose track of shooting well with it.

This is true... the full length grip makes true concealment a bit harder. Personally I shoot full grip so much better than "compact" G19 size it's worth it. I'm not super concerned with the "printing" that the longer grip presents when only wearing a t-shirt or polo over it. I find most people really aren't observant enough to notice.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I have both and like them equally. Instead of altering the 19X to use all mags I replaced the 17 round G5 mag baseplates. Went with the Vickers Tango Down ones. Doubled the mags I can use in the 19X for about $20.

One thing I have noticed on the G45 and newest version G5 Glocks (FS and no front cutout} without the cutout it doesn't leave a lot of space to get a good grip on the mag in case of jam or other issue. The Tango Down baseplates provide much better area to grip the mag. For this reason, I also use them on my 19.5 mags.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    This is true... the full length grip makes true concealment a bit harder. Personally I shoot full grip so much better than "compact" G19 size it's worth it. I'm not super concerned with the "printing" that the longer grip presents when only wearing a t-shirt or polo over it. I find most people really aren't observant enough to notice.
    I have smaller-sized hands and have tended to stay away from the full-sized Glock pistols because their grip was so large that it was not comfortable to me...at least until the Gen 4's came out...and now the Gen 5 is the same diameter minus the finger bumps (which I never minded as my smaller fingers fit into them quite comfortably...but this full-sized grip carry is fairly new to me.
    To be honest, I'm not sure that there's that much difference in the 'printing' aspect of EDC, between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 grip-length as I tend to carry in an OWB, 4:00 position with a shirt over it in the summer (vest or jacket in the winter) Unless I bend over or squat down to pick something up, it never even tends to 'print' anyhow...and, yes, most people aren't observant enough or simply don't have a clue that I have a pistol under my shirt!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have smaller-sized hands and have tended to stay away from the full-sized Glock pistols because their grip was so large that it was not comfortable to me...at least until the Gen 4's came out...and now the Gen 5 is the same diameter minus the finger bumps (which I never minded as my smaller fingers fit into them quite comfortably...but this full-sized grip carry is fairly new to me.
    To be honest, I'm not sure that there's that much difference in the 'printing' aspect of EDC, between a Glock 17 and a Glock 19 grip-length as I tend to carry in an OWB, 4:00 position with a shirt over it in the summer (vest or jacket in the winter) Unless I bend over or squat down to pick something up, it never even tends to 'print' anyhow...and, yes, most people aren't observant enough or simply don't have a clue that I have a pistol under my shirt!

I had a similar experience with my little girl hands and Gen4 Glocks. They just seemed thinner in the grip to Glocks of the past. I also seen a fair amount of younger shooters, with small hands shooting Glocks in competition. (If they can do, I can do it!) A bonus on the Gen 5 Glocks is the coarser grip "nubs" that allow me not to require the Talon grips, like the Gen 4's did. Gen 5's without the grip tape are thinner yet.

I have double trouble when concealing the G45, compared to the G19. Running the MOS RDS, there is forward protrusion to go along with the longer grip to hide under the cloths. Having always carried at 3:00, I've had to cant my holster more and move it up around 2:45ish. This brings the longer grip up higher on my side vs pushing my shirt out. Still have to be mindful bending over.

I get and mostly follow the idea of not caring about a little printing and that most folks aren't observant. That said, there are times that not printing can be critical. Between private companies making their own gun free zones and "federal" GFZ's, at best I don't want the trouble of some Karen outing me. At worst, I don't want to readily volunteer to be the test case in a federal overreach situation.

Top Bottom