• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    While not questioning him, I'd like to have heard more details other than "they're junk". I'd lke to know how many people have come through the class using Shield Arms mags and how many failed. Wouldn't mind a compilation of jammed up 43xs and 48s to help solidify his statement.

A couple of the other videos I clicked on afterward were just people shooting them for the first time, so their reviews are pretty useless.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm just passing the Yeager vid along. Not siding with him.

I don't really have a dog in the fight on the G43x/G48. I'm invested in the G43. Wouldn't want to be without this perfectly sized deep cover/weak hand carry, BUG gun.

I have pondered the G43/G48 many times but cannot get by the magazine incompatibility with the G43. Cannot afford the mix up possibility on top of having many G43 mags.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I have had a Glock 43 for some time. Bought it before the 43x came out. I haven’t carried it, and only shot it once.
    The 43 only carries 6 rounds. 43x carries 10. What are the other major differences? Is it worth keeping the 43, or should I consider ditching it for a 43x?
    I have also just discovered the mag extensions by Taran Tactical. What’s the opinion on those?

I've had a 43, a 43X, and a 48...and went back to the Glock 26 for comfort...just didn't get into the 'skinny' frame!
    With a Glock 19 magazine and an X-Grip spacer, that's still the best-fitting Glock grip for me!
    Comfort matters...and to each their own!

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus
    I saw on another forum the Shield Arms mags were scratching the back of the mag well when being inserted. This could be from a burr on the mag that is easy to fix but makes me question there quality. I also saw pictures of the feed lips and maybe it was the lighting but they looked dinged up. Until I can look at one in a store and see more reviews than they look good but have not used them or they worked for 100 rounds I will reserve judgement.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I saw on another forum the Shield Arms mags were scratching the back of the mag well when being inserted. This could be from a burr on the mag that is easy to fix but makes me question there quality. I also saw pictures of the feed lips and maybe it was the lighting but they looked dinged up. Until I can look at one in a store and see more reviews than they look good but have not used them or they worked for 100 rounds I will reserve judgement.
    Most gun owners dont even fire their carry gun before they start to carry them.
    Not saying YOU JHB, but I find it funny when i see a lot of gun owners discussing mag reliability and such, when they never even shoot their pistol to begin with.

43x with the shield mags for me. I have a 43 I'll be listing soon.

ajeandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    S. Indianapolis
    I have had a Glock 43 for some time. Bought it before the 43x came out. I haven’t carried it, and only shot it once.

The 43 only carries 6 rounds. 43x carries 10. What are the other major differences? Is it worth keeping the 43, or should I consider ditching it for a 43x?

I have also just discovered the mag extensions by Taran Tactical. What’s the opinion on those?

As others have said the 43x can hold 15+1 with the Shield Arms steel magazines. I have 3 of these and they're reliable. I wouldn't even consider a Glock 43 over the 43x. If I need to carry something tiny it's the LCP but usually it's the 43x that's accompanying me everywhere.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Most gun owners dont even fire their carry gun before they start to carry them.
    Not saying YOU JHB, but I find it funny when i see a lot of gun owners discussing mag reliability and such, when they never even shoot their pistol to begin with.

43x with the shield mags for me. I have a 43 I'll be listing soon.
    What do you think about Yeager saying the Shield mags are junk?

I haven’t really seen much of anyone else saying the same thing.

The consensus I’ve mostly seen seems to suggest they are GTG.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    What do you think about Yeager saying the Shield mags are junk?

I haven’t really seen much of anyone else saying the same thing.

The consensus I’ve mostly seen seems to suggest they are GTG.
    I havent even looked at his video.
    I think maybe his testing environment is different than what I'll ever encounter with my 43x and shield mags.
    I've fired just under 300 rounds through the 2 I have. Zero issues.

I'll give an example.
    I was at a tactical response class in Camden TN (Yeagers school), and 2 people said the magpul glock mags were crap.
    I had fired hundreds of rounds through mine at that time and hadn't had any of the malfunctions the 2 folks had experienced. And I believe them.
    After taking more it turns out they had malfunctions after TN clay had gotten all up inside of their mags on a muddy day after many drops in the mud.

This is not something I'm worried about.

I feel 100% confident putting my life on shield mags and magpul glock mags too.

So everyone has to test their own gear and carry what they feel safe with

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I havent even looked at his video.
    I think maybe his testing environment is different than what I'll ever encounter with my 43x and shield mags.
    I've fired just under 300 rounds through the 2 I have. Zero issues.

I'll give an example.
    I was at a tactical response class in Camden TN (Yeagers school), and 2 people said the magpul glock mags were crap.
    I had fired hundreds of rounds through mine at that time and hadn't had any of the malfunctions the 2 folks had experienced. And I believe them.
    After taking more it turns out they had malfunctions after TN clay had gotten all up inside of their mags on a muddy day after many drops in the mud.

This is not something I'm worried about.

I feel 100% confident putting my life on shield mags and magpul glock mags too.

So everyone has to test their own gear and carry what they feel safe with
    That makes sense. He doesn’t really go into a lot of details other than to suggest he’s seen a number of failures in his classes.

It could be the particular environment. That and I think Yeager is strictly a purist when it comes to using Glock OEM mags.

To each his own I guess. Whatever works for each individual.

Last edited:

Skullglide

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 21, 2014
    Otterbein
    I have over 7,000 trouble free rounds from my shield arms mags. I have qualified 3 times with it. I owned a pair of 43’s prior to the 43x. They are great guns. I just prefer the little bit longer grip of the 43x.

With the 15rd mags, it’s the only gun I carry off duty. It is also my grab gun in the car on duty.

The James Yeager video is typical James Yeager. Not worth watching.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I have over 7,000 trouble free rounds from my shield arms mags. I have qualified 3 times with it. I owned a pair of 43’s prior to the 43x. They are great guns. I just prefer the little bit longer grip of the 43x.

With the 15rd mags, it’s the only gun I carry off duty. It is also my grab gun in the car on duty.

Can't get any better testimonial than this. I know there are quite a number of people that have put a lot of rounds thru the Shield mags without reporting any major issues.

JHB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2016
    Columbus

I like seeing reports like this. By the time I get around to picking some up they should have any bugs worked out and a good supply available. Kind of learned my lesson about being the first in line for a new product to come on the market. Kind of.;)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I bought my 43 before the 43X came out, so I can't compare the two. I have 4 mags with the +2 extensions, they all function fine.
    I bought mine mainly for church carry, where concealment was the main priority. As far as reliability, I've got no complaints

HarleyMason

Marksman
    Rating - 92.6%
    25   2   0
    Mar 7, 2019
    Roanoke
    I EDC the 43x. I had a 43, it was a great gun and a welcome upgrade from the 42. The 43x grip fits me better than the 43, and it gives me increased confidence.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I put about 400 rounds through the 48 yesterday using my three Shield Arms mags. I had failure to eject, but I'm pretty sure that was due to shooting under a barricade in long grass.

That's not enough rounds for me to start carrying the 48 yet with the Shield mags (It has around 700 through it now), but I really like it.

Top Bottom