• ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    he ammo I used right before this happened was Winchester white box 180 gr

This could be just a one time fluk or localized to my weapon, don't know. This was no typical failure; I could easily handle a FTF of a FTE. I would consider that part of normal break in cycle until I get a solid 300-500 rounds through it. For the spring to come out the front like it did was just plain bizarre and troubling!

That is just weird, looking at mine, the first coil sits there to keep it from going through the hole. Is there any damage to the hole? I tested my with 300 the day I bought it, then another 200-250 or so of those same WWB rounds without a hitch.

Have you posted it on Glocktalk yet?

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Do a google search "glock spring fail" plenty of other people on different forums report the same failure. One report says the recoil spring is the only part not made by glock and if it's going to fail it will usually do so within the first 200 rounds.

I've got 600 - 700 rounds through mine so far with no problems.:D

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    If your recoil spring traveled through the front of your pistol it would have to be smaller than the hole.

I just spend 15 mins looking over mine and can't figure out how that could have happened, the front of his recoil spring looks intact. The hole is too small for that to get through, yet it did.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I purchased another Glock 23, but this time I made the mistake of buying the Gen 4. Cleaned it, gave it a good once over, loaded 10 rounds and plinked away. Loaded my mag for my next round and when I racked the slide the recoil spring came out the front????

I spoke with Nick Vigliucci a certified Glock Armorer about the issue and he told me to contact Glock for a replacement part. Don't know if they've changed the spring design or have a fix out. Nick basically had nothing positive to say about the Gen 4 and to stay away.

Does anyone know if there is a "lemon law" for firearms or consumer protection that would allow me to return the gun? I'm guessing I'm at the mercy of Glock!

Wow, that sucks! I really hope that you find out what happened and that it gets fixed for you. And further...I hope you stick around INGO and that you also post what you find out and how it was fixed and all that good info. :yesway:

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    Hichman:. At first I couldn't back it out with the spring intact. I had to partially dissemble it by taking the outer spring over the end of the plastic guide rod. I then basically backed it out by unscrewing it. And yes my Gen 3 G23 is my primary carry weapon, so my life does depends it! This was potentially my new carry because of positive things I read about recoil reduction/control... but now ??

I will post more when I talk to Glock.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deet

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 21, 2009
    NWI
    I agree with Hickman this is a serious issue. I have taken apart hundreds of guns over the last 40 years and nothing amazes me anymore. Springs shoot out of guns all the time, and usually take 15 minutes of crawling around on the floor to locate them. Parts are assembled wrong making the gun useless. Manufacturing flaws surface all the time, and need repair. There are many things that can go wrong with handguns, lets wait and see what really happened before we start calling BS. Good luck with Glock CS and keep us informed. Welcome to INGO.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    First of all, shooter 651, :welcome: to :ingo: ..... I am NOT a glock hater, or a lover, either.... I have shot them, and they do not "fit" my hand... you'll get no bashing from me... If my handgun shot a spring out, for any reason, at all, I would be upset... I own S&W, and I have never experienced this... I am interested, to find out what happened....
    Now, if you have a sense of humor, trade the glock, for a
    s7w M&P, in 9mm, or .45, and your problems will be over... :laugh: :draw: :popcorn: :dunno: :yesway:

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    This is a new one to me but I've heard of several problems already with the new Gen IV guns. The most common one seems to be the trigger pins walking out to the side of the gun. Light primer hits also seem to be more common on the new guns for some reason.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I removed about half the posts in this thread. No more fighting about this. None. I'm ashamed at the way some of you guys threw the new guy under the bus and pulled out the "BS Flag" right away. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then please don't post.

tedk

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    I am a Glock Armorer and have never seen anything like that. I have a gen4 Glock 19 and have not had any issues, but followed some advice given on Glock Talk to use +P rounds for the first 150-200 to break the gun in. I also have heard that Glock is in the process of getting a lighter spring for the 9mm guns as they are using the springs they put in the .40's.

The dual spring does lessen felt recoil and my new gen4 19 is more accurate than my gen2 19. I have put 750 rounds through the new one with ZERO problems.

Glock customer service is top notch and will take care of any problems with your gun.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    I removed about half the posts in this thread. No more fighting about this. None. I'm ashamed at the way some of you guys threw the new guy under the bus and pulled out the "BS Flag" right away. If you don't have anything constructive to add, then please don't post.

THANK YOU! I read it this morning and couldn't believe the "BS, you're a liar and a troll" tone it took right off the bat.

:ingo:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Hichman:. At first I couldn't back it out with the spring intact. I had to partially dissemble it by taking the outer spring over the end of the plastic guide rod. I then basically backed it out by unscrewing it. And yes my Gen 3 G23 is my primary carry weapon, so my life does depends it! This was potentially my new carry because of positive things I read about recoil reduction/control... but now ??

I will post more when I talk to Glock.

yeah, I'll be waiting and watching for your updates. Keep us posted.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County

Here's something I ran across on another forum - it seems to legitimize the OP.

"I was given a demo of the difference in the 3g vs 4g Glock 22. He let he feel the grip and how it was smaller. He disassembled it to show the dual recoli spring but while trying re-assemble it the guide rod and srping came through the front spring stop??? I've nevr had that happen with my Glocks. He eventually got it back to togather but I wonder if that dual spring thjing is a good idea?"

Food for thought but nothing by way of resolution though.

MeAndMyXD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    Hammond
    If your recoil spring traveled through the front of your pistol it would have to be smaller than the hole. It looks to me like it is intact........ What really happened? I could see if the polymer spring keeper broke up and failed, but yours is fine????? How'd you stick a 1/2 inch piece through a 3/8 hole, and somehow it is fine after the fact????? I want to know????

I highly doubt that the recoil spring on gen 4glock is actually 1/8 of an inch larger than the hole. (1/2-3/8=1/8) From the looks of the OP's pictures its just big enough to rest on the inside of the slide as with other style firearms. IMO this is possible.

Although I dont have a glock I can say that the XD has a similar recoil spring and it is not even 1/16 of an inch larger than the hole in the slide making it possible to happen to these guns as well, although I doubt it.:D

combat45acp

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 27, 2010
    DeMotte
    I know most people ask me if I can still get the Gen 3's and don't want the 4's. I figured it was change=doom because until now I have never heard of a failure...thanks for the post, in for the updates!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Wow!! First Lobo and then remymartin. No I'm not Full of Poo and I'm not quite sure what an "uber Tactical Ninja" is, but I'm really feeling the love... Thanks for the warm welcome!.
    This forum, like any other, has the element that loves the gang-rape mentality at times. Forget about them. I am VERY interested in what you find about this because I am planning on gifting my Gen 3 G19 to my son and getting myself a Gen 4 G19 for me! Glad you're here. Keep posting!:ingo:

shooter651

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 6, 2010
    I spoke with Glock CS this morning. The gentlemen I spoke to said he had never heard of this issue before. They are sending another recoil spring (0 3) to me.

Hickman: The CS said that the recoil spring stamped 0 3 is the correct one.

I emailed the photos to Glock as well asking them to follow up with more details.

as soon as I hear anything I'll post back.

Top Bottom