code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Fanbois coming out of the woodwork.

seriously though, I’m just :stickpoke:

That Glock has an overall excellent reliability doesn’t mean that it’s impossible for this to have happened the way it was claimed. Also, if it happened the way it was claimed doesn’t mean it’s a bad design. It’s okay if truth happens somewhere in between the poles.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    And how many of the pins in your 1911 and your revolver are not physically retained so they cannot walk out? Hmmmm? Can the hammer and sear pins on a 1911 just fall out? Do you think maybe there was a reason Browning locked them in so they couldn't walk out? Your S&W barrel pin is held so tightly you would have a hard time getting it out if you tried and all of it's lock parts are mounted on studs pressed into the inside of the frame with an arbor press. My criticism was referring to push pins floating free in a hole. If you are willing to accept carrying a pistol that uses push pins holding critical parts together occasionally walking out - good luck with that. Ever see the pin on a hand grenade just walk out? Would you buy hand grenades like that? Maybe there is a reason they stuck a bent cotter pin through it. There are critical assemblies and there are non-critical assemblies. A loaded gun would be a critical assembly. A cheap staple gun would be a non-critical assembly. :dunno:

Last edited:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As are the pins in a Glock, just like the pins in the revolver you mentioned. The trigger pin is mechanically retained by the slide lock and the trigger safety pin, trigger housing pin and locking block pin (not present in all models) through friction.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    It's difficult for me to post this as a sit in my chair, rocking back and forth and openly weeping. I had no idea that I put myself and my loved ones in so much danger, having carried and depended on these horrible walking-pin polymer frame firearms to serve as my defensive tools. I pray for my family's forgiveness, and for the forgiveness of those around me whose lives I placed in mortal danger every time that I left my house. I will endeavor to find the next gun buyback/meltdown and immediately dispose of these menaces. But only in the unlikely event that I can actually unload these death machines without killing myself and my loved ones.

Dearest God, I just realized that all of them have pins! Glock! M&P! FN! Sig! Ruger!

Is there someone on INGO right now that I can message so that I can have the bomb squad come out to my house?

I have a P365 in my pocket. I'm afraid to move.

:nailbite:

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    It depends on how you define "retained" but there are numerous firearms featuring pins that are friction rather than mechanically retained. Glock as well as M&P and XD have pins retained with friction. I've never seen the Glock trigger pin in question work it's way out and I would have to see it to believe it. I still say if it happened as stated someone would have taken a picture of it since it involved an ND and a LEO was involved.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    “Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public”

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    You will never, I mean never hear a person in a story like take responsibility for the incident with a weapon. It is always someone else’s fault. You will never hear: I failed to regularly check the condition of the moving parts and components of the weapon on a regular basis. These people are irresponsible idiots. IMHO!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    No one should have to be constantly checking and resetting pins that walk. That's like having to check your lug nuts every time you pull your car out of the garage. :rolleyes:

tr1gg3r

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    The Fortress
    What I've learnt in this thread this far:

1) Designers of guns with pins are idiots
    2) Consumers of guns with pins are idiots
    3) Users who don't check pins are irresponsible idiots

The are some hot takes in here :buddies:

Top Bottom