• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yes, except there are like several different barrel lengths (multiple barrel lengths on just the compact 2.0's now, including 4 " and 3.6" , not to mention the 5" and the full size 4.25", etc and they now have the original versions and then the 2.0's).

but the numbers DO refer to caliber and traits. Most... many... some guns have some sort of reference to the gun's traits in the number or naming so you can discern what it is aside from gross memorization, even if only within a production or model range. S&W has had several systems but they do try using a system. glocks have none whatsoever except 42/43 are the smallest.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    but the numbers DO refer to caliber and traits. Most... many... some guns have some sort of reference to the gun's traits in the number or naming so you can discern what it is aside from gross memorization, even if only within a production or model range. S&W has had several systems but they do try using a system. glocks have none whatsoever except 42/43 are the smallest.

Glocks are just sequentially numbered starting with 17 which was their first released.

Personally having a half a system that changes is about as bad as not having one.

In any case, in the modern day where all of this info can be looked up for those models that one is not directly familiar with, it doesn't really matter.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Glocks are just sequentially numbered starting with 17 which was their first released.

Personally having a half a system that changes is about as bad as not having one.

In any case, in the modern day where all of this info can be looked up for those models that one is not directly familiar with, it doesn't really matter.

LOL I stand corrected, they're sequentially numbered as they're released. cause that's SO helpful in IDing which is which.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    LOL I stand corrected, they're sequentially numbered as they're released. cause that's SO helpful in IDing which is which.

I get what you are saying, but really for the M&P line, with the introduction of all the barrel length's, etc you have to get more info as well. So you need info like the following: M&P 9 Compact 2.0 3.6 inch barrel .... and then there is a thumb safety or non thumb safety, etc. So you really have to get the "real" SKU number such as 11688 anyway. Otherwise you could confuse it with the M&P 9c (1.0) or the M&P 2.0 Compact 4", or the same model with a thumb safety, etc.

So, to say S&W has a great numbering system is a bit misleading as well, I guess was my point.

Also, I forgot the 19x kind of messes with the Glock sequential numbers, as does the 19C. Bottom line, if you are interested in 9mm Glocks, you will likely know all the model numbers. On the other hand, who cares what the 45 GAP Glock model number is...

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I get what you are saying, but really for the M&P line, with the introduction of all the barrel length's, etc you have to get more info as well. So you need info like the following: M&P 9 Compact 2.0 3.6 inch barrel .... and then there is a thumb safety or non thumb safety, etc. So you really have to get the "real" SKU number such as 11688 anyway. Otherwise you could confuse it with the M&P 9c (1.0) or the M&P 2.0 Compact 4", or the same model with a thumb safety, etc.

So, to say S&W has a great numbering system is a bit misleading as well, I guess was my point.

Also, I forgot the 19x kind of messes with the Glock sequential numbers, as does the 19C. Bottom line, if you are interested in 9mm Glocks, you will likely know all the model numbers. On the other hand, who cares what the 45 GAP Glock model number is...

lol agree 100%. nobody yet has a decent system and as soon as they think they do, some a**hat puts a hole in it (S&W changing systems periodically). glock's just particularly meaningless in any practical or descriptive sense.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Engineers come up with really great ways to denote a model of something then the marketers totally screw it up. Take a look at BMWs. It use to be that if you saw a BMW 320i, you knew that it was a fuel injected 3 series with a 2.0 liter engine. The 325is would be the 3 series with the larger 2.5L and sport package. Now days, it's hard to tell what is in them because the marketers ran away with the numbering system. A 2007 328ix is a 3.0 liter normally aspirated all wheel drive car with a beautifully smooth engine that has a magnesium block. The 330ix is a 2.8 liter 3 series that's turbocharged and has either an aluminum block or steel block, but makes a bit more power so it's up market and given a higher model number. Marketers tend to mess everything up.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Engineers come up with really great ways to denote a model of something then the marketers totally screw it up. Take a look at BMWs. It use to be that if you saw a BMW 320i, you knew that it was a fuel injected 3 series with a 2.0 liter engine. The 325is would be the 3 series with the larger 2.5L and sport package. Now days, it's hard to tell what is in them because the marketers ran away with the numbering system. A 2007 328ix is a 3.0 liter normally aspirated all wheel drive car with a beautifully smooth engine that has a magnesium block. The 330ix is a 2.8 liter 3 series that's turbocharged and has either an aluminum block or steel block, but makes a bit more power so it's up market and given a higher model number. Marketers tend to mess everything up.

1. Loved the car analogy/comparison!
    2. I have lived in the car world for the past 30 yrs. instead of the gun world owning 6 antiques:
    48 Studebaker, 41 Plymouth/with modern drivetrain, 65 Mustang/only a straight 6, though, 64 Studebaker, and a couple more boring ones.
    3. I have taken 5 antiques to the Marion County Trade and Swap meet one Spring to sell before, and bought my son's first car there one Fall.
    4. I have bought (71 Olds Cutlass) and sold (79 MG) cars at the Meccum antique auction when my kids were little.
    5. When my wife complains about $$ spent on guns, I threaten her with getting back into antique cars. :laugh:

Top Bottom