• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    Is it just me, or do the non glock carriers get alot of grief from the glock people ?? I have owned just about every make of hand gun made in the last 30 years including Glocks, but Right now I have 3 different Smith & Wesson hand guns. Today I stopped at a local gun shop to browse, and asked to see a Springfield XDM, and 4 other customers, all told me that if I didnt buy a Glock I was wasting my money. I then showed them my S&W M&P .45 and they all rolled their Eyes and Chuckled. I know from experience that Glock is a top quality gun, but I also believe In S&W , Springfield , Kimber, and alot of other quality guns, But over the years I have heard it time and time again from Glock owners, if it's not a Glock it aint worth having. I used to get the same thing back when I rode Honda and Suzuki Motorcycles, people would always yell at me as I rode by to " BUY A HARLEY" I"m Just curious if this happens to anyone else but me ??

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I can't say that has happened, but it would be pretty insulting and presumptuous to tell a stranger what to buy without him asking for an opinion. Some people buy what others tell them to, and there is nothing wrong with that. Start off with something common, which others can help you learn to shoot, maintain, and repair. However, after 30-years of gun ownership, there probably isn't much anyone can tell you about what to purchase and why. I would have ignored them or asked what's the maximum effective range of their Glock and left them with their mouths open.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    One guy approached me to start with and the next thing I knew I had 4 guys standing around me showing me their Glocks, and telling me no other gun could even compare to a Glock !

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    One guy approached me to start with and the next thing I knew I had 4 guys standing around me showing me their Glocks, and telling me no other gun could even compare to a Glock !

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I think that's a case of "herd mentality". Nothing wrong with Glocks, but anyone who would say something like that probably doesn't really know any better because they probably don't know much about guns in general.

Hooker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    NW IN
    My first gun purchase was very confusing. I overheard one salesman as he was showing a few Glocks to a customer and he spoke like Glock was the pinnacle of handguns. He went on and on about them being the best gun on the market.

The saleman I talked to, as well as my course instructor, talked about Glocks like it was silly to buy one. They said Glock was a great gun, but that there were others that were so much better. One guy said he carries a Glock just because if you have to use it, it would be confiscated and you'd probably never get it back which he wouldn't mind.

After about 30 minutes of this, I realized that all of them had the same thing to say when it came to the basics....that Glock was dependable, tough, accurate, and an excellent weapon for self defense.

I went with a Glock 23. And so far I like it :D

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    The Glock, and Harley, Kool Aid is strong stuff! I like and own many guns, including Glock. They aren't the best or the worst IMO. I've owned and ridden numerous bikes and none of them were Harleys. They must be good, the Classifieds are FULL of them! Lol...

:koolaid:

~STOLEN~

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Ha, i love my Glocks, but dont dislike other guns. However i wouldnt pay $15,000+ for a 1950's technology Harley!

well put on the technology part LOL

i have had famly members not happy with me because i bought my S&W...i just told them, if you wanna buy me a glock, i wont throw it away. but i get to shoot all theirs every time we go to the range.
    i ride a gixxer and the gun community isnt NEAR as bad as the harly community..
    to each is own i might slow down one day and get a harly, prob the same day i buy a glock

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    I don't own a glock or a Harley, but I do have the pinnacle of technology in trucks...1997 F-150 4wd...and the absolute pinnacle of technology in firearms...Kel-Tec P11........should that have been in purple?

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    None of my bikes are Harleys. None of my guns are Glocks. That's not likely to change anytime soon. But yes, I see the analogy, and it's an interesting observation.

Brick House

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Plainfield IN.
    I was on Madison Ave. On my GSXR 1100 and a guy on a Harley pulled up beside me and said " Dude, Buy a Harley... It's made in the USA" So I offered to race him title for title, but for some strange reason he Declined !

davidw221

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2008
    I own glocks and a Harley, I feel I don't have the right to tell anyone how to spend their hard earned money, let alone look down my nose at what someone likes or dislikes. Just my opinion.

Cherryspringer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Well here is my take. I actually have a Harley that I love and a g19 that is the handgun I would probably keep if I had to pick just one. I know exactly the mentality you are talking about. I have been embarrassed at times to even own a harley a few times over the last ten years or so just because of the jerks that think they are so cool because they have one. You probably know the type, they have Harley jeans, wallet, tattoo, vest, bandana, boots, glasses and every other assessory you can think of. If glock starts selling jeans, I'm out. Sorry. Don't blame Harley or glock I think they make some reliable products. But I do really like my new xdm40 a lot but still getting used to it.

KDUBCR250

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Martinsville
    I own a Harley,Honda, and a Suzuki. I own a Glock, XD, and a MP. Ride what you want, shoot what you want. People who dis another mans ride/gun arent worth listening to anyway and are prob. jealous anyway. :patriot:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Ride what you want, shoot what you want.

+1. I've owned a Honda CBR and a HD Road King. I loved them both for what they were. I've owned H&K, SIG, Glock, S&W M&P, XD, Several 1911's and a couple of Kahr pistols. I liked things about each and there were things about each I wasn't crazy about. One day there may be a perfect pistol designed but it isn't here yet. They all have their strengths and weaknesses.

The bottom line is that it's a personal decision to be made by the individual.

Top Bottom