• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hootenholler

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2011
    jefferson co
    I'm new to the glocks scene and I'm in the market for either a glocks or m&p and was wondering what ppl are saying about glocks going kaboom or not going kaboom....please explain

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    DoubleFacePalm.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    M&Ps can do it too.
    imagesCAJEJ82J.jpg

Forget M&Ps, lets examine the H&Ks.

HK.jpg

Anything can have a kB. I think it's doubly funny that it's from a 45acp, which is traditionally low pressure and unusual to kB.

Of course this double charged five seven kB is the scariest I've seen:
    5x3609.jpg

The result of 80,000psi. Even though everyone claims it was fired out of battery, which is physically impossible.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Like mentioned any gun can do it.

I own a 2nd Gen Glock.... If they went Kaboom, would mine still be around if they all went kaboom?

-MColford

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Glocks have looser chambers that don't have as much support as one would like at the feed ramp area, usually in the .40 models (but sometimes in other chamberings as well) If you buy once fired brass, you can tell just by looking at the case whether it fired from a Glock or not. The "glock bulge" is a well known phenomenon in the reloading world. Same goes for the 10mm stuff. When I was loading for 10mm, the OEM barrel would bulge quite a bit at the unsupported area as compared to no bulge in a KKM barrel. Redding even makes a special push through die to handle "glocked" brass.

The "glock kaboom" is usually slang for unsupported case failure. What happens is that bulge expands to the point where the brass breaks and vents down the feed ramp. That's different than a pure overpressure type "kaboom" where the chamber or barrel itself fails and breaks due to overpressure. (like the M&P or 1911 pic above)

extreme bulge and unsupported case failure:
    r2.jpg

The unsupported case failure is a rare occurrence, but the conventional wisdom is that the loose, unsupported chamber of the Glock makes it an ever so slightly less rare occurrence for that specific type of kaboom. It would be more of a problem if you plan on using brass over and over and over and over loaded at max pressures.

It's probably not worth worrying about though.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Even a 1911 can go kaboom! :eek:

amtkaboom1-1-tm.jpg

:laugh:

Except, when a 1911 goes bang, it's not quite as dramatic or injuring. Not promoting the 1911, just saying a steel frame can be a little extra insurance when stuff goes bad.

The double charge on that five seven almost caused the poor guy to lose his hand.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    The unsupported case failure is a rare occurrence, but the conventional wisdom is that the loose, unsupported chamber of the Glock makes it an ever so slightly less rare occurrence for that specific type of kaboom. It would be more of a problem if you plan on using brass over and over and over and over loaded at max pressures.

It's probably not worth worrying about though.

A stronger recoil spring can be a little extra insurance against this.

The unsupported chamber failures are usually a result of excessive pressure taking the gun out of battery before pressures have dropped to a safe level.

After seeing the massive glock smiley on the cases coming out of my 10mm, I quickly put a 20lb spring in it before I shot it again. Then the smileys were much less dramatic.

Oddly enough my 37, 45gap has the least chamber support of any gun I've seen yet it doesn't produce any glock smiley.

Top Bottom