• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN
    I dont get why reloads are such a bad thing. Especially if they are your own reloads and are jacketed bullets. I guess 9mm is a differant story then 40sw. Im sure if you do your own reloads then you shouldnt worry about shooting them in a glock. Especially if you have Gen3 or newer

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    i did a lot of reading into this issue when i was stuck between wanting either a g17 or a cz75. if i remember correctly, since its been a while, i believe one of the reason for KB's in glocks was due to firing FMJ ammo after firing lead bullets which would create higher pressures. Not being one to shoot lead, or much in the way of reloads, these things things didn't ultimately concern me.

I did read of CZ's having kaboom, dont remember if i saw a picture but i know ive read of it happening.
    For the record i read a lot about CZ's extractors wearing down quickly and breaking slide stops albeit after high round counts, so i went with glock as my "End of the world" pistol:koolaid:

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    that was true in generations past.

There's a whole chapter in Glocks In Competition where they tested leading the barrel to force a Kaboom and how barrels have changed over time.

Comparison over the years, 2nd gen G21 barrel on the left and a newer G31 barrel on the right:
    1000139zp4.jpg

the 357 Sig Glocks have always had more support than the other chamberings because of the bottleneck cartridge. (one of the reasons is the most awesome cartridge ever :): ) That's really not a apples to apples comparison in the pic.

I have heard they have given the 40s more support though. I'd like to see a Gen 1 or 2 barrel from a G22 compared to a Gen 3 or 4 like that.

My 3rd Gen 21 had unsupported area the same as the 2nd gen in the picture. Same went for my 3rd gen G20. I never did have any bulges with the 45 though.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I have been ROing shooters and seen a Glock and a 1911 BLOW up like something from a cartoon. It can happen for a number of reasons and to any gun. I have seen the damaged results from at least three other guns that have given it up.

If you make mistakes reloading it can happen. If you do everything right it I think it can still happen.

It is not a brand thing.

Reloading is not rocket science but it takes a little while to get it down and you should not be experimenting until you know exactly what you are doing.:twocents::patriot:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Conventional rifling or polygonal rifling... meh, doesn't really matter to me.

In researching MOST of these instances where a Kb has occurred, you'll find the user was shooting reloaded ammunition.

And has been noted over and over in this thread, it can happen to any gun & in any chambering.

There are also accounts of factory ammo going Kb. Millions upon millions of rounds produced & sold...over who knows how many years... Statistically speaking, there WILL be a few double-charges and poor crimps (leading to bullet set-back = pressure spike = potential Kb)

Shooting sports, while inherently more dangerous than playing video games, is still pretty safe. I play the odds on "everything will be fine" with every pull of the trigger. So far...so good...I don't reload. :)

-J-

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Yes, any gun can blow up with an over charged load or a squib. The difference with glock is that the chamber design itself can be a contributing factor. The chamber is under supported, requiring the brass to contain the pressure on its own at the rear of the case. It is also oversized, allowing too much room for the brass to expand. All it takes is for that brass to give way for the gun to blow up. That's why there have been so many with factory ammo.

It doesn't happen very often as others have pointed out but it does happen far too often. The worst part is there is no good reason for that particular chamber design. There are plenty of proven handguns that offer utter reliability with proper chamber size. Even so, for all the reasons to not like glock this one is far down the list. It probably won't happen to you and, as I understand it, replacing the damaged frame and other parts is quick and easy directly from glock. The best option is to choose from one of the many firearm designs with a proper chamber, good ergonomics and a decent trigger.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Here is a comparison pic of a Gen4 G23 barrel (left) and a Gen2 G23 barrel (right). Glock has improved the chamber support over earlier generations.
    2011-07-21_12-57-28_257.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Here is a comparison pic of a Gen4 G23 barrel (left) and a Gen2 G23 barrel (right). Glock has improved the chamber support over earlier generations.
    2011-07-21_12-57-28_257.jpg

Doesn't have to be a gen 4 for that.

My gen 3 RTF 2 has that chamber as well.

Look at the pentagon roll mark on the side of the barrel. The ones with the new tighter chamber will have a dot in the center of the pentagon.
    I hope they do a 10mm barrel like this in the future. I'd like to buy one.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    One thing that rarely comes up, that I believe to be a contributing factor, not just in Glocks, but in other KB... and it has nothing to do with double charges...

Reload glocked 40 brass enough times and this can happen, just like resizing rifle cases that are shot in guns with too much headspce, the case head will eventually separate... if you're not lucky enough to have the neck split first, and if you're not paying attention to the faint line on you case head.

The problem with glocked brass is that it doesn't leave the tell tale ring. And people are buying glocked brass fixer kits. And people are roll sizing glocked brass.

For this reason I will only buy KNOWN once fired brass and throw away all the ones that are too far glocked. That and I don't have any Glocks, so they will never get glocked more than once.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Couldn't possibly care less about that phrase. As I stated earlier, millions of rounds fired in my presence, following Glock's recommendations, and never seen a kaboom. That's good enough for me.

Perfectly valid reasoning. Me, I've only seen ONE go kaboom, personally. But that was enough for me, too.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    wow after reading this thread we should all join the insaro website as in indiana stick and rock owners website(i guess you could blow a rock or stick up if you tried hard enough)

Speaking of my stick, i got a new Bushmaster stick (it's called the 'thicket' model with extra bark) with ATACS camo paint job, I even put a Leupold 4-12x50mm on it. It's a pretty tricked out stick. I can hit stuff really hard with it now. It is the coolest stick on my block.

I chose to leave my rock stock - standard Indiana limestone, that's kinda squarish, but kinda roundish too. no mods, but a nice single-point sling might go great with it.

(Much love to the sticks and rock guys) :)

Top Bottom