Glocks may not always work, but I'm glad they don't fire when you drop them...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My G19 gen 5 is always in the holster when going on and off my belt (I use a Safariland ALS 7378 7TS with a paddle). I still wouldn’t try catching it though if dropped. The holster does give me the confidence to carry with the one in the pipe all the time and reasonable retention against 5-year-old-girl gun-snatchers.
    Mine always stays in a holster as well. Until I transition from my IWB holster to the holster on my vest.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    There's two mechanical blocks preventing it from discharging when dropped. I've dropped mine a couple of times but I'm confident it won't go bang without a finger on the trigger.
    If it's factory sights a plastic tipped hammer will put the sight back where you want it. If it's night sights you should probably use a pusher to insure you don't break the glass vial the tritium is in.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Aron Bright[/FONT]

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I learned not to do that in 1996 or 1997 when I was in Tennessee. A police officer dropped his Glock and he tried to catch it. He caught it with a finger in the trigger guard and ended up shooting himself in the leg. He ended up losing the leg and having to medically retire. So ever since I just let it go and hope the drop safety works.

Yep, I'm betting the large majority of folks who drop a gun and get hurt are due to trying to catch it. If I recall, there was a gun writer who actually died from such an event.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    One of the many reasons I hate unnecessary unholstering. Though, I suppose dropping it while in a holster wouldn't be all that different.

Glad Glocks bounce.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Steve Malloy's death was a slam fire, not attempting to catch. Fell out of his waistband as he went to tie his shoe.

Ah, I see. I had thought at the time that it was reported he tried to catch it, but I see differently now (appears it was an older model firearm without a drop safe firing pin block). Was trying to remember his name to look it up before I posted, so thanks for the info.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Steve Malloy's death was a slam fire, not attempting to catch. Fell out of his waistband as he went to tie his shoe.
    And your point is? Steve Malloy was carrying a 1903 Colt. As I understand it no one was present when the accident happened so there is no way of knowing if he grabbed for it or not. I would imagine it was determined from the angle and location of the entry wound that it was dropped.There is a metal to metal block between the striker and the firing pin safety until the trigger is depressed to prevent a discharge on Glock/M&P/XD pistols.
    Tin foil hats are allowed here but a disclaimer should be added that no one KNOWS exactly how it happened and the offending firearm was not a striker fired pistol with a firing pin safety block.
    PS.. Frank, if you want to meet me at SPB in Greenwood when I"m scheduled to work I'll bring my pusher and put it where ever you want. :)

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

Last edited:

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Hey now! Give Frank some credit here--ya just don't give a good beat down with a plastic toy, err, gun! Need old-fashioned steel for that kinda stuff!!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Gives new meaning to the term "drop gun."

8LLCIlx.gif

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    And your point is? Steve Malloy was carrying a 1903 Colt. As I understand it no one was present when the accident happened so there is no way of knowing if he grabbed for it or not. I would imagine it was determined from the angle and location of the entry wound that it was dropped.There is a metal to metal block between the striker and the firing pin safety until the trigger is depressed to prevent a discharge on Glock/M&P/XD pistols.
    Tin foil hats are allowed here but a disclaimer should be added that no one KNOWS exactly how it happened and the offending firearm was not a striker fired pistol with a firing pin safety block.
    PS.. Frank, if you want to meet me at SPB in Greenwood when I"m scheduled to work I'll bring my pusher and put it where ever you want. :)

[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]

To be fair to Kirk, I think he was responding to me. I had understood from something I had read previously that had been a situation where he tried to catch the gun, but had forgotten the gun writer's name so couldn't fact check myself. Kirk was providing some update to that.

That said, if one does drop a gun, best to do as Frank did and let it go and if possible, get out of the way (especially if you know it does not have a firing pin block drop safety, or it is a Sig P320)

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    That said, if one does drop a gun, best to do as Frank did and let it go and if possible, get out of the way (especially if you know it does not have a firing pin block drop safety, or it is a Sig P320)

I think one more time should just about get your point across.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    So I have dropped many different weapons never personally had an issue. I did witness a really dramatic dropped gun situation once. The BN HQ had set up in a Iraqi airbase when a PFC came in the front door carrying a M249. The strap broke just as he walked inside the muzzle hit the ground and it fired a impressive 10 round bust into the wall.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom