• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wear gloves when cleaning your firearms?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I use gloves just to keep the mess off of my hands. If I have to answer the phone, go to the bathroom, etc., I can peel off a glove and not have to stop and go wash my hands. Keeping the chemicals off of my delicate digits is a plus as well.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Why would you need to use chemicals that are toxic to clean a gun? Why are so many of you guys using brake cleaner on your guns? :rolleyes:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Why would you need to use chemicals that are toxic to clean a gun? Why are so many of you guys using brake cleaner on your guns? :rolleyes:

For example vinegar can dissolve lead. Vinegar alone is fine. Vinegar with lead in solution seems like something I might not want to be unnecessarily exposed to. As in touching residue or cleaning pads soaked in said solution.

Ammonia can dissolve copper. Smelly stuff and sort of toxic on its own, but with metals in solution...?

:dunno:

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I don't care if the cleaner used is water. Once it is contaminated with lead, carbon, oil, grit and grime, I don't prefer to have it all over my hands and everything I touch. Way too easy to strip off a glove when done.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    In the past I rarely wore latex or nitrile gloves at home. I wore them everyday at work for over nine years so I grew to hate them.

In the last few months I've started to wear nitrile anytime I'm working on vehicles in the garage and I'll be wearing them when I clean guns.

It isn't because of the chemical exposure near as much as the convenience of keeping hands clean.

Cree

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 28, 2016
    Lafayette
    I wear a glove on my bullet feeding hand when I am loading straight lead or those messy coated bullets... I do not for jacketed bullets. To each his own.

223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I have not reloaded or shot raw lead bullets in the last 15 years. Never wore gloves to reload or load mags. I did in the past year ask my Doctor to order a lead toxicity test with some of my other labs.
    He did, and I did not have any lead toxicity.

TwinSix

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    Indy South Side
    Chemical and Heavy Metal exposure is a real concern for us... our bodies have a hard time processing "foreign" materials. Often times our bodies store these "foreign" materials to be "processed" later. Our bodies store them in fat cells for later processing (ie. the Brain, and other fatty locations, and organs). We owe it to ourselves to protect our bodies the best we can... Luckily, we can help our bodies in eliminating (removing) these materials in a safe manner. We have to be mindful of HOW this happens too... either through the Skin (sweat), Kidneys (urine) or a Bowel Movement... but most of this happens AFTER IT PROCESSED THROUGH OUR LIVER. So, we should pay attention to it too... anyway, be mindful of the Body Systems and how we can support them. Either with Cleansing, Supplementation or other... Wear Gloves, protect the Largest Organ of our body and periodically clean the rest of it... Just my $0.02 worth.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Chemical and Heavy Metal exposure is a real concern for us... our bodies have a hard time processing "foreign" materials. Often times our bodies store these "foreign" materials to be "processed" later. Our bodies store them in fat cells for later processing (ie. the Brain, and other fatty locations, and organs). We owe it to ourselves to protect our bodies the best we can... Luckily, we can help our bodies in eliminating (removing) these materials in a safe manner. We have to be mindful of HOW this happens too... either through the Skin (sweat), Kidneys (urine) or a Bowel Movement... but most of this happens AFTER IT PROCESSED THROUGH OUR LIVER. So, we should pay attention to it too... anyway, be mindful of the Body Systems and how we can support them. Either with Cleansing, Supplementation or other... Wear Gloves, protect the Largest Organ of our body and periodically clean the rest of it... Just my $0.02 worth.

+1

Gloves (and other safety measures) to prevent exposure are the oz of prevention

Some folks don't have issues clearing heavy metals, others have a really difficult time. Even if you are part of the first group, the time they are in your system is never good for you.

If you are in the second group, the required pound of cure can seem more like a ton.

Protect yourself, and earn bonus points on your man card (real men eat quiche AND couldn't give two ****s about what others think of what they do ;) )

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I am just not sure how I had missed that this had become a thing.

It's always been there, of course. I just ran across a rather stern admonition in a new reloading book and it got me thinking. That and I've noticed for a long time that after cleaning guns I lose a little bit of sensation in my fingers... never really gave it much thought before now.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have been using Latex gloves forever it seems like. Mechanical work, guns, toilet replacement, the list can go on. I need to switch to Nitrile though but I have about 4 boxes left of the latex to use up first.:)

Top Bottom