• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wear gloves when cleaning your firearms?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Don't use gloves for gun cleaning, but I do use them for handling other chemicals. Having been in the chemical business for 40+ years I regulate risks.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Found if I wear the cheap seventy-nine cent brown jersey gloves while cleaning the shotguns, they do dbl duty as a wipe up rag. When they've reached the point of leaching oil through, they're tossed.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    My first rifles were SKS's packed in serious cosmoline. Had to spend a lot of time cleaning and used lots of solvents and gloves just made sense. I still wear them whenever I clean. Also when I handle my old revolvers... keeps the fingerprints off.

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    Nitrile gloves. Wore them for 20 years as a mechanic. Definitely protects from chemicals. When I was farming in the 80's I was young and dumb. Spraying herbicides one day and the sprayer nozzle got plugged up. I cleaned it out without gloves, got some herbicide on my hands, no big deal. FYI the chemical was yellow. A few days later I noticed a yellow band on each fingernail. All ten fingers had the same band the went across the nail and was about 1/16" wide. Took a few weeks for the band to grow out and be trimmed out of each nail. Ok, lesson learned, always wore gloves after that. Chemicals do get into your body, prevention is important.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Nitrile gloves. Wore them for 20 years as a mechanic. Definitely protects from chemicals. When I was farming in the 80's I was young and dumb. Spraying herbicides one day and the sprayer nozzle got plugged up. I cleaned it out without gloves, got some herbicide on my hands, no big deal. FYI the chemical was yellow. A few days later I noticed a yellow band on each fingernail. All ten fingers had the same band the went across the nail and was about 1/16" wide. Took a few weeks for the band to grow out and be trimmed out of each nail. Ok, lesson learned, always wore gloves after that. Chemicals do get into your body, prevention is important.
    I have always sprayed my fruit trees unprotected and I know sometimes my tongue is numb afterward. But it always goes away.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have always sprayed my fruit trees unprotected and I know sometimes my tongue is numb afterward. But it always goes away.

My dad made a combo unit to serve as a sprayer and high pressure washer. He'd drive around the yard, shooting pesticide up into all our apple, walnut, and crabapple trees to combat the dreaded webworm. I mentioned to him that some PPE might be in order. You know, a mask, some goggles, maybe gloves. He just grunted and kept spraying.:rolleyes:

He stopped after his cousin, formerly described as, "the guy who'd never been sick a day in his life", died at 68 from a very rare cancer that's only suspected cause is exposure to common pesticides and herbicides.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Ugh. That's awful.

The very worst thing about this country's tough-guy mentality is that it is so durable in the face of new & better information.

Old Dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2016
    Central Indiana
    I have used brown cotton "jersey" gloves for years while reloading (keeps down fingerprints) and when handling arms for show or demonstration, as my skin tends to cause rust to develop rapidly and leave my prints behind. Reviewing this thread has given me cause to pause and think. From now on I will be wearing nitrile gloves when handling or cleaning, and will try them for reloading. Have used them when working on vehicles and butchering, but not always so I have to clean crud out of fingernails and fingerprints and that can take several days. So... it's gloves for me all the time now!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    The very worst thing about this country's tough-guy mentality is that it is so durable in the face of new & better information.

This ^^
    Gloves are a must for me (I also wear different clothes when I clean weapons). I do a lot of cooking and I do not want any chance of cross contamination into my family's food.
    The type of glove varies based on the chemical. Some chemicals eat through the 5mil Nitrile gloves very quickly. Time to break out the 9mil gloves.

Harbor Freight has them in various thicknesses at decent prices:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/catal...re,f,EAFeatured+Weight,f,Sale+Rank,f&q=gloves

romack991

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 27, 2012

no-we-wont.jpg

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've kept boxes of nitrile gloves around to use for years. Worked in a large machine shop/factory for a few years and was amazed at what the gloves would do better than the standard mechanic/jersey glove.

I use them for all kinds of things beyond gun cleaning. It just makes sense.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Gloves definitely.

I suffered a bad case of lead poisoning* when I worked at an indoor range in Avon. The ventilation wasn't that great, and I cleaned/worked on a LOT of guns. Even with the ultrasonic cleaner, still had to get dirty. I usually wore gloves, but they'd rip and tear and I was too dumb (stubborn) to stop and put on a fresh pair.

*Normal lead levels are supposed to be under 10. Mine got close to 60. Even after a couple rounds of chelation, it only dropped to the mid-30's. I finally quit working there, and after about 9 months of being away, my levels are now normal. But the damage has been done.

Don't be like Steve. Wear gloves to clean your guns....

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Gloves definitely.

I suffered a bad case of lead poisoning* when I worked at an indoor range in Avon. The ventilation wasn't that great, and I cleaned/worked on a LOT of guns. Even with the ultrasonic cleaner, still had to get dirty. I usually wore gloves, but they'd rip and tear and I was too dumb (stubborn) to stop and put on a fresh pair.

*Normal lead levels are supposed to be under 10. Mine got close to 60. Even after a couple rounds of chelation, it only dropped to the mid-30's. I finally quit working there, and after about 9 months of being away, my levels are now normal. But the damage has been done.

Don't be like Steve. Wear gloves to clean your guns....

THAT, is some scary $h!t right there. Sorry you had to learn that one the hard way.
    Glad to hear you are doing better now.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Never seen the need. Now maybe I see the need.

Have a workmate that eats candy bars with a fork and knife. I think I will try the gloves but I don’t want to be that guy at the lunch table eating a snickers bars with a fork cut into little pieces because of the possible germs.

There are are a few guns that I have thought I needed those white gloves they wear on antiques roadshow. Maybe I need some of those white gloves.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    Cotton gloves are not good for cleaning. Solvents and chemicals will soak right through to your skin.

Other tips;

Wash your hands in COLD water and soap after cleaning.

Wear a mask and safety glasses. Solvent burns like mad if you get it in your eye....

Wear an apron.

Wash your clothes after cleaning chores are over.

After a trip to an indoor range, your clothes and shoes will have lead dust on them. If possible, change your clothes and shoes before you go into your home.

Like I said above, I've been there and done that and it ain't much fun. Protect yourself.

Top Bottom