• jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Is this for real????
    My son texted me the headline. I asked if he got it from The Onion. No The Telegraph.

Yeah. They want to ban high power toasters. I guess that's the kind of government you get after they ban high power rifles.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The EU wants them gone NOW. No way they let them have three years to get their house in order... why would they? In that regard, I think the EU has the right of it. Why let the UK dictate terms of how they effect the rest of Europe. Get it over as soon as possible, so respective European economies can recover.

Irregardless of what the EU wants - they signed a treaty. Protocols and procedures will need to be followed. I agree that this is probably what they want, but they should have democratically voted to change the rules before the Brexit took place.

Oh well... Ya snooze, ya lose!

Besides, it is in Europes interest to keep GB in for as long as possible, to suck the most poundage out of them before they go.

That said, it is also in Europes long term interest to allow GB to get their house in order, as a stable economic partner will be far more palatable than a weak, unstable one. All we need to do is look at how Syria's instability has affected their neighbors. A stable world economy, including Britains, is in everyone's best interests.

Regards,

Doug

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Turnout % of each age group in the EU Ref Results:

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 58%
    35-44: 72%
    45-54: 75%
    55-64: 81%
    65+: 83%

via Sky Data

Funny to watch the people online that belong to the first group whine the loudest. If you didn't like it, why'd you stay home?
    Because it is much easier to whine and say that votes from older people shouldn't count as much because they won't live with the decision as long

Don't you understand? It's chaos in the streets! CHAOS!

2vu0hnq.jpg

5QWQ2Mf.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Turnout % of each age group in the EU Ref Results:

18-24: 36%
    25-34: 58%
    35-44: 72%
    45-54: 75%
    55-64: 81%
    65+: 83%

via Sky Data

Funny to watch the people online that belong to the first group whine the loudest. If you didn't like it, why'd you stay home?

Apparently the older people use toasters more than younger people. If I had to give up my high power toaster, not much could keep me from the polls.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Well, now that the vote is done the EU trots this out.

EU to launch kettle and toaster crackdown after Brexit vote

The perfect example of how bureaucrats annoy everybody with their rules, and also worsen the problem they are trying to solve at the same time. They ban toasters because they are energy inefficient which will simply force people to fix their toast using an even more inefficient device like an oven broiler. I presume ovens will be next.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    The perfect example of how bureaucrats annoy everybody with their rules, and also worsen the problem they are trying to solve at the same time. They ban toasters because they are energy inefficient which will simply force people to fix their toast using an even more inefficient device like an oven broiler. I presume ovens will be next.

But what would we do without regulators telling us how to fix our toast? Live in a world where people could decide for themselves what method and tools might do the job efficiently, effectively, conveniently and at a price we are willing to pay? How can individuals be trusted to make those decisions for themselves? No. Better to have someone that we don't know and didn't have any say in their selection tell us how to perform this important function in our lives.

You must be one of those Democracy and free market extremists. :nono:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Probably the law would only affect individualist minded people. The collectivists in their quest for moral superiority have probably given up toast long ago. Probably monitoring devices in homes will be next. After all, if you have nothing to hide you shouldn't mind being monitored. We're all in this together. It's for the good of the Union.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Bought and paid for regulations from somebody who makes a product that competes with these I would bet.

Always follow the money

Toasters last a long time. Sometimes a new incentive is needed to get people to buy a new fangled one. We did it here with light bulbs. ****themverymuch, though. I have two middle fingers' worth of incandescent light bulbs in my closet.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Toasters last a long time. Sometimes a new incentive is needed to get people to buy a new fangled one. We did it here with light bulbs. ****themverymuch, though. I have two middle fingers' worth of incandescent light bulbs in my closet.
    They can have my incandescent bulbs when they take them from my well lit dead hands.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Also the fact that you have to send the toast through 4 cycles to get it done enough to match what a standard toaster would do in one pass....More than likely using more energy in the process.

It's like the newer "water saving" toilets. If you are doing ANYTHING but taking a leak you are going to need about 6 flushes if you don't want a clog.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Also the fact that you have to send the toast through 4 cycles to get it done enough to match what a standard toaster would do in one pass....More than likely using more energy in the process.

It's like the newer "water saving" toilets. If you are doing ANYTHING but taking a leak you are going to need about 6 flushes if you don't want a clog.

Same with water-saving anything. They suck. Clothes washers that take hours to [STRIKE]clean[/STRIKE] finish the cycle. My dishwasher takes 8 ****ing hours to [STRIKE]clean[/STRIKE] finish the cycle.

My next washer might end up being a top load Speed Queen, the last of the good old fashioned washers, for which hot means hot and uses enough water to get stuff clean in less than half the time. I can't wait until that front load soap opera soccer mom inspired fancy ass bells and whistles infected abominable piece of **** dies so I can take it out somewhere and shoot it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Same with water-saving anything. They suck. Clothes washers that take hours to [STRIKE]clean[/STRIKE] finish the cycle. My dishwasher takes 8 ****ing hours to [STRIKE]clean[/STRIKE] finish the cycle.

My next washer might end up being a top load Speed Queen, the last of the good old fashioned washers, for which hot means hot and uses enough water to get stuff clean in less than half the time. I can't wait until that front load soap opera soccer mom inspired fancy ass bells and whistles infected abominable piece of **** dies so I can take it out somewhere and shoot it.

Tri Sodium Phosphate is your friend with this modern stuff, available at Home Depot, use a just few percent of the weight of your laundry or dish washing detergent.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Tri Sodium Phosphate is your friend with this modern stuff, available at Home Depot, use a just few percent of the weight of your laundry or dish washing detergent.

Yeah, we use that. Still takes 2X longer for laundry and 4X longer for dishes.

Plus, peppering crappy appliances that you've learned to hate with bullets is more fun.

Top Bottom