• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Without seeing a target shot from a rest for comparison we won't know for sure if it's hardware or software.

Hm, i suppose i could make a makeshift rest out of sandbags like usual. Id be curious to shoot it from a rest that locks. Sounds like i may have an opening friday ill see if i can produce any results.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I agree that that isn't a very good group at just 9 yards. If you want to improve your marksmanship, you need to attempt shooting at greater distances. The greater distances will readily show you the bad shots and is better feedback for improvement. Shooting close, masks errors in trigger control.

You make a good point about distance exaggerating marksmanship issues, but I think watching him shoot would be a better diagnostic tool. My opinion is that he would be better served shooting at a closer distance until he can shoot a tight group there, like 5 yards.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You make a good point about distance exaggerating marksmanship issues, but I think watching him shoot would be a better diagnostic tool. My opinion is that he would be better served shooting at a closer distance until he can shoot a tight group there, like 5 yards.
    As the close ranges mask errors, I think that it tends to engrain bad technique that later have to be unlearned. I stick by my guns that longer ranges are better to start out, but that is considering that one is using a full size handgun. I've taught many people this way and it has been successful. It actually is an old proven method. Only relatively recently have some people decided that very close range is a good way to learn marksmanship.

Top Bottom