• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I'm also in the market for a .22 pistol and have been looking at the Ruger Mark III Hunter. After reading everyone gripe about field stripping these guns, it has me a bit spooked. Are they really that difficult or is it just different from say field stripping a 1911?

Also, the HiViz / LitePipes appear to be rather delicate...has anyone had a problem with those things breaking frequently?

I don't find field stripping them to be particularly difficult. With the Mark IIIs, though, I do find it a little frustrating because you have to keep putting the magazine in, taking it out, putting it back in, taking it back out... it's frigging irritating. The rest of the gun is so good, though, it's well worth a couple minutes of cussing the twit who couldn't be bothered to figure out how to incorporate a magazine safety without screwing up the take down/reassembly procedure.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I'm also in the market for a .22 pistol and have been looking at the Ruger Mark III Hunter. After reading everyone gripe about field stripping these guns, it has me a bit spooked. Are they really that difficult or is it just different from say field stripping a 1911?

Also, the HiViz / LitePipes appear to be rather delicate...has anyone had a problem with those things breaking frequently?

YES! They are very difficult to take apart. But to be honest I never take mine apart. I just clean out the bbl, chamber and breach face with the bolt locked back. I prefer the MKII over the MKIIIs. Browning and S&W are both nice guns too.

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The Ruger MKIII hunter it a nice gun, I took the HIviz sights off of mine and put the target sights on. For some reason the target sights are easier for me to aim at the bottles at 50 yards.

A ruger MKIII is not hard to clean if you learn how to do it correctly.

I can have mine apart in no time. Getting it back together is just as easy.

The Buckmark is also a nice pistol, just get one with good sights.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    A ruger MKIII is not hard to clean if you learn how to do it correctly.

I can have mine apart in no time. Getting it back together is just as easy.

Agreed, the steps themselves are not difficult once you understand what is going on. What I don't like about it is that I still can't get it apart without tools. Mine is relatively new still though and is loosening up every time.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    My little brother is looking into the sig mosquito. I'm stuck between the s&w 22A and a ruger 22/45. I like how I have the options of customizing the ruger. Im going to shoot them both this Sunday. are 22/45's expensive? Would it be advisable to get a used one or just bite the bullet and by a new one?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    My little brother is looking into the sig mosquito. I'm stuck between the s&w 22A and a ruger 22/45. I like how I have the options of customizing the ruger. Im going to shoot them both this Sunday. are 22/45's expensive? Would it be advisable to get a used one or just bite the bullet and by a new one?

We paid $279 for Sean's 22/45, the 5 1/2" bull barrel target model. We sell the black 22As for $260, and the camo heavy barrelled 22A is about $300, IIRC. So pricewise they are pretty much in the same ballpark.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    Just got my buckmark & love it. In my opinion of the 2 you have narrowed it down to ,the Ruger is made much better .Had a mark II W/ a bull barrel years ago ,It was almost boring accurate.

Donnelly

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Cass County
    I have a Beretta U22 Neos. It is a blast to shoot, and very easy to strip and clean. Even has a top rail for mounting a scope/red dot.

I was wondering how many on INGO have had real life experience with the Beretta Neos. The local gunshop had one in stock for around $270 and I was tempted the other day when I was in there. I have never felt a handgun that fit my hand as perfectly as that did. It felt like it was designed from a mold made from my hand. I have caught a couple reviews and they say they eat almost any .22lr ammo and that they are a great value, My biggest fear would be magazine availability and cost.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey Donnelly: the U22 is accurate, reliable, balanced and overall a good value.
    My only (and major) beef is with the very sloppy and un-beretta like triger. It waggles side to side, and doesn't feel like it resets itself properly.After a few hundered shots fired, the reset has gotten better, thankfully. Still not the precision I was expecting from a Beretta.
    Mags are about $25 and you get two with the Neos. A carbine kit is about the price of a very nice 10/22, so I'm probably not going to get the kit until a very good deal is spotted.
    My Neos is not the Delux. Just a plain jane without the adjustable trigger of the DLX.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I was wondering how many on INGO have had real life experience with the Beretta Neos. The local gunshop had one in stock for around $270 and I was tempted the other day when I was in there. I have never felt a handgun that fit my hand as perfectly as that did. It felt like it was designed from a mold made from my hand. I have caught a couple reviews and they say they eat almost any .22lr ammo and that they are a great value, My biggest fear would be magazine availability and cost.

We had one at one point. It was a decent gun. Reliable, and fairly accurate, though not in the class of a Ruger target model. The most impressive thing to me was the manual, which was a work of art. It was very clearly targetted toward a new shooter, and was superbly done for that purpose. The gun felt good in the hand, but I felt the safety was a little sharp. Overall, I liked it enough that if I found one for the right price I may buy another someday.

chrisheacock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Great info here. I have had my eye on a Buckmark Varmint ever since I saw one. Seems like it would be a great gun for both plinking and actually taking varmints. I've got a few moles I'd like to see splattered. :D

I held an MKIII at Bradis and it was so well balanced! It felt like it was built just for me! Decisions, decisions!!

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I have both a Ruger and Buck Mark. I think the Buck Mark is a better overall pistol. The Ruger is a fine shooter also with tons of after market parts. The Buck Mark's Trigger is by far better than Ruger's.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I decided I will get a 22/45. I want to get a used one to save on cost a little. Eventually I want to get a tactical solutions barrel, but for now I have to find one. Thanks all for your help.

Top Bottom