Going to IMAX at the state museum this weekend. Carry or no Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Trevelayan

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 11, 2014
    Putnam Co.
    I'm guessing they have a "no firearms" policy but Downtown being Downtown at 12am I'm really leaning toward carrying. Anyone know or had experience with the state museum recently?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Didn't see this thread. If no metal detectors, gtg, if what I read is true....that it is a DNR property.

Anyone know if they make you go through detectors?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

Those threads are really old, and may be irrelevant.

I saw the new Batman a few weeks ago at the state museum IMAX. No metal detectors or security. Concealed means concealed.
    If there is occasion for someone to see or hear my pistol, the last worry on my mind is what their policy is. Otherwise, who's gonna know?

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    Those threads are really old, and may be irrelevant.

I saw the new Batman a few weeks ago at the state museum IMAX. No metal detectors or security. Concealed means concealed.
    If there is occasion for someone to see or hear my pistol, the last worry on my mind is what their policy is. Otherwise, who's gonna know?

Same discussion as the last two times...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    its my understanding that The state museum (and its associated properties like the grist mill at metaBora as my kids call it) is no different than the state office building; A lawful and enforcible GFZ that could come with arrest and/or confiscation.

But with that disclaimer, I agree with others. If you are willing to risk it and potentially pay the piper, No metal detectors= concealed means CONCEALED.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    So just wondering what makes the IMAX so noteworthy?
    Because it is one of the better Imax theaters with the seating being more steeply angled and a larger screen. The sound system is tops, too. Top Gun Maverick was AMAZING on that screen. Well worth it.

Btw, there were no metal detectors. And the popcorn was very good.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Same discussion as the last two times...
    But maybe not the same laws in place, which would render 10 year old discussions irrelevant. Or maybe the same laws are in place, I don't know. Like I said, I don't care. Concealed means concealed. I have a greater responsibility to my family than I do to assholes who would arbitrarily deny me the right to self defense based on what type of building I am in. YMMV

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    its my understanding that The state museum (and its associated properties like the grist mill at metaBora as my kids call it) is no different than the state office building; A lawful and enforcible GFZ that could come with arrest and/or confiscation.

But with that disclaimer, I agree with others. If you are willing to risk it and potentially pay the piper, No metal detectors= concealed means CONCEALED.
    I didn't know that. I thought the law as written currently specifically stated the statehouse and adjacent office building, not "anything owned by the state".

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I didn't know that. I thought the law as written currently specifically stated the statehouse and adjacent office building, not "anything owned by the state".
    Unless something changed, the ban extends to any state property. Including museums. But they arent apparently THAT motivated because they dont bother to staff the entrances with metal detectors.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So just wondering what makes the IMAX so noteworthy?

It's one of only three 70mm IMAX theaters in the entire country , it was built with funding from the state and in cooperation with IMAX. 70mm has bt far the clearest image even when compared to the laser IMAX projectors. That being said it's a dying art , only a few directors even film in 70mm anymore.

That being said DUNE at the State Museum was an experience to say the least. I love having this theater in Indiana as a movie fan.

You also get to see more of the screen in 70mm, for instance the new James Bond movie had 40 minutes of 70mm shots. Tenet had a phenomenal 70mm easter egg at the end but Nolan loves that kind of film making.

Decent article about it, back on topic carry on at the theater concealed means concealed.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    It's one of only three 70mm IMAX theaters in the entire country , it was built with funding from the state and in cooperation with IMAX. 70mm has bt far the clearest image even when compared to the laser IMAX projectors. That being said it's a dying art , only a few directors even film in 70mm anymore.

That being said DUNE at the State Museum was an experience to say the least. I love having this theater in Indiana as a movie fan.

You also get to see more of the screen in 70mm, for instance the new James Bond movie had 40 minutes of 70mm shots. Tenet had a phenomenal 70mm easter egg at the end but Nolan loves that kind of film making.

Decent article about it, back on topic carry on at the theater concealed means concealed.
    Thanks kind of figured there was more to it than just a larger screen.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Unless something changed, the ban extends to any state property. Including museums. But they arent apparently THAT motivated because they dont bother to staff the entrances with metal detectors.
    I don't think that is quite correct. State museums/historical sites/etc can make their own rules, but I believe the most that they can do is kick you out and have you trespassed. If it's any state owned property that would include the BMV and such.

IANAL/TINLA

Top Bottom