Going to IMAX at the state museum this weekend. Carry or no Carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The State Museum is part of the Museum and Historic Sites. They have not been part of the DNR for several years now.

Also not part of the "State House".

They are technically a political subdivision, and cannot regulate firearms.
    I don't believe that is correct about them not being able to regulate firearms. Political subdivision refers to govt below the state level such as county, city, town, township. They are a state level govt organization, same as the DNR or workforce development or BMV. The DNR restricts carry at their firing ranges and long guns elsewhere on their property, and workforce development aka unemployment prohibits carry in their offices. Along with carry prohibited at the state fair.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I could totally be wrong. I just see the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites is a political corporation. Totally different than the DNR, which is literally a department of the State.

IC 36-1-2-13"Political subdivision"

Sec. 13. "Political subdivision" means municipal corporation or special taxing district.

IC 36-1-2-10"Municipal corporation"

Sec. 10. "Municipal corporation" means unit, school corporation, library district, local housing authority, fire protection district, public transportation corporation, local building authority, local hospital authority or corporation, local airport authority, special service district, or other separate local governmental entity that may sue and be sued. The term does not include special taxing district.

IC 4-37-2-1Corporation established

Sec. 1. The Indiana state museum and historic sites corporation is established.

As added by P.L.167-2011, SEC.1.

IC 4-37-2-2Corporation a public body corporate and politic

Sec. 2. (a) The corporation is:

(1) a public body corporate and politic; and

(2) an instrumentality of the state.

(b) The corporation is separate from the state. However, the exercise by the corporation of its powers is an essential governmental function.

IC 4-37-2-3Suits by and against corporation

Sec. 3. The corporation may:

(1) sue and be sued; and

(2) plead and be impleaded.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I could totally be wrong. I just see the Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites is a political corporation. Totally different than the DNR, which is literally a department of the State.

IC 36-1-2-13"Political subdivision"

Sec. 13. "Political subdivision" means municipal corporation or special taxing district.

IC 36-1-2-10"Municipal corporation"

Sec. 10. "Municipal corporation" means unit, school corporation, library district, local housing authority, fire protection district, public transportation corporation, local building authority, local hospital authority or corporation, local airport authority, special service district, or other separate local governmental entity that may sue and be sued. The term does not include special taxing district.

IC 4-37-2-1Corporation established

Sec. 1. The Indiana state museum and historic sites corporation is established.

IC 4-37-2-2Corporation a public body corporate and politic

Sec. 2. (a) The corporation is:

(1) a public body corporate and politic; and

(2) an instrumentality of the state.

(b) The corporation is separate from the state. However, the exercise by the corporation of its powers is an essential governmental function.

IC 4-37-2-3Suits by and against corporation

Sec. 3. The corporation may:

(1) sue and be sued; and

(2) plead and be impleaded.
    A few things, IC 36 is specifically about local not state govts. And yes IMHSA is a corporation, but not a corporation covered by IC 36-1-2-10"Municipal corporation" which again referes to local corporations and specifically to a local hospital corporation and public transportaion corporation. ETA The state fair commission is also a corporation, and they prohibit carry during the fair as well.
    IC 15-13-2-1State fair commission established
    Sec. 1. (a) The state fair commission is established.
    (b) The commission:
    (1) is a separate body, corporate and politic;
    (2) is not a state agency; and
    (3) performs essential governmental functions.
    [Pre-2008 Recodification Citation: 15-1.5-2-1.]

Under the preemption statute this is the controlling definition.
    IC 35-47-11.1-1Application

Sec. 1. This chapter applies to a political subdivision (as defined in IC 3-5-2-38).

As added by P.L.152-2011, SEC.4.
    IC 3-5-2-38"Political subdivision"

Sec. 38. "Political subdivision" means a county, city, town, township, school corporation, public library, local housing authority, fire protection district, public transportation corporation, local building authority, local hospital authority or corporation, local airport authority, special service district, special taxing district, or other type of local governmental corporate entity.

Almost the same but slightly different, and again refers to local government only.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    anyone else having issues getting to the various faq pages of the Imaxindy.com site? I've tried 2 different PCs, Edge and Firefox on both as well as an ipad with both safari and firefox and an iphone with both those browsers as well.

The page opens, https://www.imax.com/theatre/3102/info , but I can't get any of the specific FAQ questions to open that part of the page when clicked on, it just shows the parking page no matter which question I click on.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I tried, get the same results as you.
    Thanks for checking and confirming.

I contacted them and received a follow up super quick this evening. They said it's an issue the have reported to their IT dept. Page is jacked up and doesn't have the content that it's trying to direct to. Seems like their FAQ page would be more important to them.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I had the same trouble with the FAQs and didn't see anything about firearms. I didn't see any signs when I entered, either, but I wasn't really looking very hard.

Btw, Top Gun: Maverick was outstanding. It was the most entertaining movie I've seen out of Hollywood in years. I think Tom Cruise may have just rescued the movie theater industry in one flyby of the tower!

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I had the same trouble with the FAQs and didn't see anything about firearms. I didn't see any signs when I entered, either, but I wasn't really looking very hard.

Btw, Top Gun: Maverick was outstanding. It was the most entertaining movie I've seen out of Hollywood in years. I think Tom Cruise may have just rescued the movie theater industry in one flyby of the tower!
    My wife wants to see it. Honestly, not sure I've seen much in the way of Tom Cruise movies since the original, or possibly Rain Man. Not much a fan of his, and a bit surprised my wife wants to see it as its not in the category of film she usually ever wants to see (it's been a long time since we've been to a movie together as we typically have no interest in the same genre of movie).

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    My wife wants to see it. Honestly, not sure I've seen much in the way of Tom Cruise movies since the original, or possibly Rain Man. Not much a fan of his, and a bit surprised my wife wants to see it as its not in the category of film she usually ever wants to see (it's been a long time since we've been to a movie together as we typically have no interest in the same genre of movie).

It was the volleyball scene in the first one :abused: Top Gun 1 came out before either me or my wife was born and even she knows about it :lmfao:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    It's one of only three 70mm IMAX theaters in the entire country , it was built with funding from the state and in cooperation with IMAX. 70mm has bt far the clearest image even when compared to the laser IMAX projectors. That being said it's a dying art , only a few directors even film in 70mm anymore.

That being said DUNE at the State Museum was an experience to say the least. I love having this theater in Indiana as a movie fan.

You also get to see more of the screen in 70mm, for instance the new James Bond movie had 40 minutes of 70mm shots. Tenet had a phenomenal 70mm easter egg at the end but Nolan loves that kind of film making.

Decent article about it, back on topic carry on at the theater concealed means concealed.
    Dean, does the new Top Gun movie take advantage of the 70 mm thing you talk about?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Dean, does the new Top Gun movie take advantage of the 70 mm thing you talk about?

No it does not unfortunately , it was shot exclusively with the new IMAX digital cameras which have a 1:90 aspect ratio versus 70mm's 1:43 aspect ratio (a smaller vertically screen).

Any standard dual laser IMAX theater will be the same, no advantages to 70mm in this case. Not many directors utilize them due to cost and extra time setting up the 70mm camera. For instance the new 007 movie had 40 minutes of 70mm scenes including the motorcycle chase and the club scene with Ana De Armas , the 70mm gives you a taller screen giving 26% more screen space total.

Again the State Museum IMAX is really good at advertising when they get 70mm movies on their website.

singhcr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2023
    Apple Valley
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am flying in to Indy for Oppenheimer from the Twin Cities to see it in 15/70 IMAX film on 7/20 since the MN Zoo IMAX 15/70 location sadly closed a few years ago. Cherish this theater, there aren't too many of them anymore!

I want to carry (have a MN permit but I believe IN is a permitless carry state now anyway) as I've never been to the city before and will be taking buses to and from the hotel. I see from other posts in this thread that they don't have much in the way of over the top security at the museum which houses the theater, but when reading the IMAX page they said that for big events they will have additional security in the theater. I imagine opening night on a rare 70mm IMAX film presentation would qualify for that.

Has anyone gone to the theater during an "additional screening" event? I take it there are still no metal detectors? The last thing I want to have to do is to take an hour bus ride back to the hotel or fork over $15 for an Uber back to the hotel and turn around immediately, possibly missing my movie. If I were driving no big deal putting my gun in the car for the film but I don't have that option here. I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster- wearing cargo shorts, jeans etc you're not going to see anything. I've never been to a movie theater or museum that had a metal detector before, but you never know right?

Any additional advice would be appreciated!

I wish this was in the fall as I could go to a Colts, Pacers etc game while in town but oh well. There looks to be a few fun places to go like the state museum itself before the movie starts.

Thanks in advance!

On the note of IMAX, I was thinking of catching the latest Mission Impossible on Wednesday evening when I fly in but I believe the theater's digital setup is the 2K xenon one rather than the 4K laser, is that right?

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hi everyone,

This is my first post here. I am flying in to Indy for Oppenheimer from the Twin Cities to see it in 15/70 IMAX film on 7/20 since the MN Zoo IMAX 15/70 location sadly closed a few years ago. Cherish this theater, there aren't too many of them anymore!

I want to carry (have a MN permit but I believe IN is a permitless carry state now anyway) as I've never been to the city before and will be taking buses to and from the hotel. I see from other posts in this thread that they don't have much in the way of over the top security at the museum which houses the theater, but when reading the IMAX page they said that for big events they will have additional security in the theater. I imagine opening night on a rare 70mm IMAX film presentation would qualify for that.

Has anyone gone to the theater during an "additional screening" event? I take it there are still no metal detectors? The last thing I want to have to do is to take an hour bus ride back to the hotel or fork over $15 for an Uber back to the hotel and turn around immediately, possibly missing my movie. If I were driving no big deal putting my gun in the car for the film but I don't have that option here. I carry a Ruger LCP in a pocket holster- wearing cargo shorts, jeans etc you're not going to see anything. I've never been to a movie theater or museum that had a metal detector before, but you never know right?

Any additional advice would be appreciated!

I wish this was in the fall as I could go to a Colts, Pacers etc game while in town but oh well. There looks to be a few fun places to go like the state museum itself before the movie starts.

Thanks in advance!

On the note of IMAX, I was thinking of catching the latest Mission Impossible on Wednesday evening when I fly in but I believe the theater's digital setup is the 2K xenon one rather than the 4K laser, is that right?

MN does not honor the IN licence for some reason but Indiana is an actually cool state so we let you bring your gun here lol. I have been to several midnight releases at 70mm State Museum and never once have seen metal detectors. Just get your tickets online and show the bored teenager your phone and you walk right in.

No idea about 2k Zenon or 4K laser however, I only go to the State Museum for movies with actual 70mm footage. I will be there opening night at some point.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Welcome to Indy!

Just avoid the nearby canal after dark. Looks really pretty and is nice during the day, but after dark youts tend to target folks there.

What hotel are you staying at? Depending, it may be walkable vs using our busses. There are abunch of hotels downtown around the convention center that are all connected via gerbil tubes. You can walk pretty far without going outside. If that is the case you could use the tubes to get to the JW Mariott, which is right across the street from the museum/theater.

singhcr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2023
    Apple Valley
    Thanks everyone for the welcome, the tips about the theater and the area in general. I think the whole reciprocity thing is ridiculous; the full faith and credit section of the Constitution demands otherwise. I've driven through Indiana a few times going to Ohio to go to Cedar Point and King's Island amusement parks and I don't need to apply for driver's licenses in each state. Whatever laws IN has I'll follow just like any of you coming up to my neck of the woods to catch a Vikings game or something would do when here.

Unfortunately the hotels downtown were a bit pricey for me so I am staying at a Holiday Inn near the airport. A nice thing though is that the bus stop is right in front of the museum so I won't have to go far when I am ready to go back to my hotel for the night after the film ends. Whenever there's another IMAX film showing I'll try and book hotels farther in advance and get something within walking distance of the theater.

The tubes are in a skyway system I take it? That's a good idea. We have them in Minneapolis downtown too, they're quite extensive.

Looking forward to seeing a great film, touring the museum and seeing some other cool stuff downtown. The state house tours look fun too, although I can't carry there per the website. I haven't even landed in Indy yet but I am already benefiting from Hoosier hospitality :)

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Hope you enjoy Indianapolis, our 70mm projector at the State Museum is a real treasure and I am glad people appreciate it TBH.

singhcr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2023
    Apple Valley
    Hope you enjoy Indianapolis, our 70mm projector at the State Museum is a real treasure and I am glad people appreciate it TBH.
    Thanks! It is definitely a treasure and I'm glad locals like yourself visit it to keep it in business.

On the note of film pilgrimages so to speak, I highly encourage you to check out the Nitrate Film Festival that is held at Kodak's own theater in Rochester NY in June. Nitrate prints are pre 1956 or so and due to the flammability only a handful of theaters in the world can show them. The nitrate backing is just a tad more transparent than acetate and they used more silver in the B&W prints. I wasn't expecting a big difference but in B&W especially it was astounding how much sharper it was. I'm sure Kodak has excellent projector lenses too but all in all it was well worth the festival expense and trip. We got to see screen tests from Gone with the Wind, a Technicolor print of Rope, and another highlight being a silent film projected at the correct speed (18 fps I think vs sped up 24) from the 1920s with a live piano player. Soooo detailed. The domestic prints were from the Eastman Kodak archive and the Library of Congress, one of our finest institutions IMO.

The last film wasn't revealed until it played and it was a Technicolor nitrate print of Pinniochio from the 40s held by the Swiss film archive who traveled with it (a Japanese archivist hand carried a film as well). That was mind blowing.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    IrDua8X.jpg

Straight from the theater specifically for this screening, concealed means concealed gentlemen. Signs do not hold rule of law, worst case scenario you are asked to leave IAMAL

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So I really liked the movie, but since they were touting the movie being "made for 70" I was expecting a visual spectacle I did not get IMHO. This was a more intimate personal drama wrapped up in Operation Manhattan.

Top Bottom