Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    DSC_7187_phatchfinal_phatchjpeg-1086x610.1511985653.jpg

It's perfect.

Though, realistically, I'd recommend a beretta CX4 storm. It's going to be about as practical of an option as is possible for someone with very limited firearms experience, to still be able to use confidently.

What ever you do, do not give or advise an inexperienced person to get a shotgun, handgun, or worst of all, a pistol grip only shotgun.

That is a work of art.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Terre Haute
    The queen of you do not need more than 3 rounds regardless of application and environment has now decided she needs a home defense gun. Again I am not going to stir the pot other than to convey unless she plans on becoming familiar , learning safe handling, do not bother.

So MIL lives Near Ann Arbor, so having been sometime since I have Lived in Michigan I really have no I idea where to send her for sound advice and guidance for her purchase.

She has also asked about recommendations my wife has told her to avoid a semi auto as she has issues with her thumbs, and a revolver may be the best option?

Thoughts

I advise non-shooter type people who ask me about home defense guns to get a Mossberg HS410. Apparently that is not made anymore, so any pump .410 with cylinder bore is good, IMO. Here are some links,

https://www.mossberg.com/product/590-7-shot-50700/

https://www.guns.com/firearms/shotg...AvantLink&utm_campaign=35987&utm_medium=df_NA

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/3/1/loading-mossberg-410-shotguns-for-home-defense/

We have one for my sweetie to use, she likes it a whole bunch. I load it with S&B 3" self defense ammo, it has two 00 buck and fifteen BB shot. Patterns well in her shotgun at inside the house distances. I have been trying out some Federal personal defense 4 buck rounds. Those work well, also.

https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/products/shotgun-shells/special-shotgun-shells/detail/96/

https://www.federalpremium.com/shot...sonal-defense-410-handgun/11-PD413JGE+4B.html

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2019/3/1/loading-mossberg-410-shotguns-for-home-defense/

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just got back last May from doing work up in Michigan at U of M. My usual haunts were a place called Ann Arbor Arms and The Firing Line. AA Arms has a nice shop and great range and do a lot of classes, they have more handguns than long guns though. The Firing Line is in Livonia but not far from Ann Arbor and has a big selection and three separate ranges, both places seemed to have knowledgeable workers but i'd probably give the edge to AA Arms. You used to have to go to your PD first and get a handgun permit and then take the gun and permit back to the PD but I believe now the gun store has the initial permit form and you can just drop off or send in the form to your PD. I don't believe you have to take the gun in any longer for their 'safety inspection'.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    How much do you like her?

One white phosphorus hand grenade is all she needs.

Open a can of 'willie pete' and everyone's problems are over even if she can't 'thumb clip'...

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    But after almost 20 years the whole you won’t make it past a year no longer holds water.

After 30 years my parents divorced. Best overall, and they are good friends. Mom laughed at what she called the old biddies who were like "I knew it wouldn't last"

As for a gun. Maybe a polymer revolver in 38, Used 410 semi auto, Smith model 10 with some light loads. Or a pistol AR in 9mm. That would be rockin.

BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I'm partial to the Smith and Wesson EZ .380, or the Walther PK380. they're both designed with the elderly in mind, or those who do not have great manual dexterity.
    I know there will be others in the comment section who will probably say the same thing. I'll just give my experience here:

A few years ago, my dad wanted my mom to have a handgun in the house, as he was sick, and she would soon be living alone. My dad wanted to get her a revolver because of the ease of use. My dad was not the most knowledgeable about firearms, but he did have experience with them. That being said, she got a small snub nose .38 special. I took her out shooting a few times, and she hates it. The double action is too tough for her to pull, and she needs more training, and time on the gun to get familiar with using single action, but she doesn't want to shoot it, because of those aspects so it's very unlikely she will ever train on it.
    Fast forward to this past year, my dad has been gone for a year now, and my mom has been living by herself. She's only 60, but has arthritis in her hands. I purchased an EZ during a cheap black Friday sale. I let my mom play around with it, and she immediately wanted to trade me. She loved the ease of racking the slide, the .380 recoil was damp in her hand, and she liked the external safety on it. These factors contributed to a raise in her confidence in shooting, which made her want to practice more.

In short, I would recommend the EZ or a PK380 over any revolver.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    There's been some discussion here about the Smith and Wesson EZ Shield 380.

I have the ez in 9 and love it. Took my gf to the range one evening and couldn't pry the thing out of her hands. She burned a couple hundred rounds with a big smile on her face.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The queen of, "you do not need more than 3 rounds regardless of application and environment", has now decided she needs a home defense gun. Again, I am not going to stir the pot other than to convey unless she plans on becoming familiar and learning safe handling, do not bother.

So MIL lives Near Ann Arbor, so, having been some time since I have Lived in Michigan, I really have no I idea where to send her for sound advice and guidance for her purchase.

She has also asked about recommendations and my wife has told her to avoid a semi auto as she has issues with her thumbs, and a revolver may be the best option.

Thoughts?

It's really confusing without the quotes.

Does that matter? Will she actually shoot it?

You could go with a smaller gauge pump.

Don't forget that MI has a handgun registry.

Top Bottom