• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Current production Jeep JKs (Wranglers) use a Dana 44 rear axle, and either a Dana 30 (standard models) or Dana 44 (Rubicon models) front axle. It is the aluminum center-section Dana 44, so not exactly like the "old style" truck axle. Still better than most 4x4s its size.

The previous model (TJ) like mine and LoveMachine's are Dana 30 front, and Dana 35C rear. Rubicon models were Dana 44 on both ends.

I didn't know the JK were coming standard with a D44 now. They really should have made a diesel or at least kept the I-6 in the JK.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I didn't know the JK were coming standard with a D44 now. They really should have made a diesel or at least kept the I-6 in the JK.

IMO the only thing the 6 has over the other motors is it's indestructible, given the chance i would switch to a 4.7 HO, they get the same mileage. the only good thing is when my 6 eventually dies(not in my lifetime I'm guessing) jennifer has said I can buy a 4.6 stroker engine:rockwoot: they are about the same price as a standard OEM I-6 crate motor.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Amen!

Chrysler has a diesel JK overseas, but not here. Thanks to our insane EPA restrictions, we can't get decent mileage in a Jeep. I think it was the same diesel they had in the Liberty for a year or so. Not fantastic, but better than a gasser.

The JK is also a tad heavier than the previous model. I think it would have put the little Dana 35 at the limit. Besides, I think the TJ was the only vehicle that Dana still supplied 35's to. Cheaper to standardize on the 44, and it carries the weight easier.

Chrysler also showed off a concept JK Pickup this year. I WANT ONE :rockwoot:
    131_1102_11_o+131_1102_february_2011_drivelines_off_road_news+jeep_jk_truck_concept.jpg

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Amen!

Chrysler has a diesel JK overseas, but not here. Thanks to our insane EPA restrictions, we can't get decent mileage in a Jeep. I think it was the same diesel they had in the Liberty for a year or so. Not fantastic, but better than a gasser.

The JK is also a tad heavier than the previous model. I think it would have put the little Dana 35 at the limit. Besides, I think the TJ was the only vehicle that Dana still supplied 35's to. Cheaper to standardize on the 44, and it carries the weight easier.

Chrysler also showed off a concept JK Pickup this year. I WANT ONE :rockwoot:

My only experience with the JK is at Silver Lake. I didn't have a problem getting up any hills.:rockwoot:

DSC00171.jpg

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    Where you been, man! Are you going back up there with us sometime?
    Pick me up on your way up there.:):
    That's what SHE said! Actually, she (my wife) did say that. :D She hates that hill.

When we did the tour for the first hour they had us do a rainbow type thing on it. My sister was screaming her lungs out the whole way up.:ugh:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Where you been, man! Are you going back up there with us sometime?

That depends, will you haul it up there on your trailer? I can't afford the gas!!!!!! :D

I still haven't fixed the front locker sensor cable I crushed on the last trip and I have a leaking rear diff cover and rear pinion seal to repair. Hoping to get that done (the leaks anyway) in the next week or so.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    When we did the tour for the first hour they had us do a rainbow type thing on it. My sister was screaming her lungs out the whole way up.:ugh:
    Those rental Jeeps are what motivated my wife and I to buy our first Jeep (1992 YJ). We then upgraded to the '05 Rubi and we love it. Not the greatest on gas but it doesn't get driven every day so it doesn't hurt too bad.

I still need a new set of wheels and tires though, that's gonna put the smackdown on the wallet for sure.

Top Bottom