• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I'm too cheap to own a Jeep, but my little buggy is semi-topless and it doesn't even have doors. I've been taking it to work every day so far this week. It gets a heluva lot better mileage than my truck. It's no rock crawler, but you'd be surprised what that little thing will do.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Not to thread jack, but if any of you Jeep guys come across a skid plate that would fit a 2005 Rubicon, please let me know. I'd like to get a new one put on and don't want to spend the coin on one of the aftermarket ones.
    IMG_3827.jpg

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    That's a LITTLE better! Go big, or go home!

Where you been, man! Are you going back up there with us sometime?

That's what SHE said! Actually, she (my wife) did say that. :D She hates that hill.

Come on, gimme a break. I looked, and the blocks are too close to the building and propane tank.
    I need to find a place to flex on...

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That is awesome. Now go get it muddy!:):

No way. I don't do mud, too much likelihood of it getting into something and causing some real damage. Rocks, sand and trails I'm good with but I keep it out of the water and mud. Maybe someday once it's paid off and I've forgotten how much it cost me I'll get her nice and slimy but for now she stays dry.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Well thanks a lot guys. Now I keep looking at that large concrete block, trying to figure out if I could really get on it.

It looks awfully high. Do you just tilt your wheel against it, and just hit the gas so you start climbing up?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well thanks a lot guys. Now I keep looking at that large concrete block, trying to figure out if I could really get on it.

It looks awfully high. Do you just tilt your wheel against it, and just hit the gas so you start climbing up?
    First: I am by NO MEANS recommending you do this! :D If you do, having a "spotter" to watch your blind side will help.

- Put the Jeep into 4-low, first gear. Disconnect the front sway bar if you can.
    - Put the block on the driver's side, so you can see it and your driver's rear tire easier.
    - Drive up to it at a 45* angle or so.
    - Turn slightly into the block, so the tire gets good contact (and the fender/bumper doesn't)
    - Ease into the throttle. Just enough to start climbing. Don't go too fast, or you could over-shoot and flop over (that would be bad).
    - Once you start up, turn the wheels straight (your steering wheel will likely not be centered with the axle articulated so much)
    - If your driver's rear tire looses traction, or starts to leave the ground, STOP. That's as high as you can go.

Is yours a stick shift? That makes it a bit more challenging, what with the three-footed-dance (clutch, toe on brake, heel on throttle).

General rule of thumb: you should be able to get a tire on a ledge the same height as that tire. Maybe taller if you are set up "right", maybe a bit shorter if you are set up "wrong".

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI

Drive up to it at about 30 miles an hour(25 if your a wuss) and then slam on your brakes right when you get on top of it. Trust me, it'll work.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Thanks! I'll see if I can get a spotter. Assuming I talk myself more into doing this ;)

And it's an automatic.

First: I am by NO MEANS recommending you do this! :D If you do, having a "spotter" to watch your blind side will help.

- Put the Jeep into 4-low, first gear. Disconnect the front sway bar if you can.
    - Put the block on the driver's side, so you can see it and your driver's rear tire easier.
    - Drive up to it at a 45* angle or so.
    - Turn slightly into the block, so the tire gets good contact (and the fender/bumper doesn't)
    - Ease into the throttle. Just enough to start climbing. Don't go too fast, or you could over-shoot and flop over (that would be bad).
    - Once you start up, turn the wheels straight (your steering wheel will likely not be centered with the axle articulated so much)
    - If your driver's rear tire looses traction, or starts to leave the ground, STOP. That's as high as you can go.

Is yours a stick shift? That makes it a bit more challenging, what with the three-footed-dance (clutch, toe on brake, heel on throttle).

General rule of thumb: you should be able to get a tire on a ledge the same height as that tire. Maybe taller if you are set up "right", maybe a bit shorter if you are set up "wrong".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Thanks! I'll see if I can get a spotter. Assuming I talk myself more into doing this ;)

And it's an automatic.

If you get a Spotter and given that it is an Automatic...

If you fail to be able to clear your tires in height from vertical obstacle I believe you have to give your jeep away... :dunno:

Man Law...

Top Bottom