• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    When I used to live at home my father had a really great tool selection. I've moved out now and I am having to rebuild the collection.

So far the in laws bought me some Craftsman tools for Christmas (I know, I know). Got some ratcheting wrenches and a socket set.

What I really need is screwdrivers. Is there a good make/brand? I love the ones with rubberized handles.

Also - whats the received wisdom on wrenches/sockets - 6 point or 12?

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Snap on Mac or Macto if you want the good stuff.

I use 6 point mostly, only use 12 point on 12point bolts.

Craftsman isn't bad.

I am a mechanic all of my shop tools are Snap on or Matco most of my home garage tools are Craftsman.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    How hard do you expect to torture them? Craftsman will still replace anything you break, and if breakage isn't a big factor, you should be good. If you're doing impact, get impact ones. Screwdrivers, find a handle you like in a quality brand, and you won't go wrong. There can be some really bad blades, but if you get good ones, the handles are more a factor. Just don't be cheap; you'll do fine.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Snap on Mac or Macto if you want the good stuff.

I use 6 point mostly, only use 12 point on 12point bolts.

Craftsman isn't bad.

I am a mechanic all of my shop tools are Snap on or Matco most of my home garage tools are Craftsman.

^^^^^this^^^^^ is the way to go.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    How hard do you expect to torture them? Craftsman will still replace anything you break, and if breakage isn't a big factor, you should be good. If you're doing impact, get impact ones. Screwdrivers, find a handle you like in a quality brand, and you won't go wrong. There can be some really bad blades, but if you get good ones, the handles are more a factor. Just don't be cheap; you'll do fine.

Thanks. Fair enough.

I know about not buying cheap tools - the wife doesn't understand why.

I guess I can explain that cheap tools break easier, and therefore you spend money replacing them (except Craftsman).

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    If I were rebuilding my tool supplies I'd start with what I would be using most. If you're not a mechanic I'd have:
    cordless electric screwdriver (use all the time)
    quick change razor blade (with extra blades in the handle)
    duck tape and electrical tape
    flashlight (and maybe one on your hat or on a headband)
    quick setting general use epoxy and/or putty
    string (twine)
    measuring tape
    assorted quick ties
    pliers / vice grips / channel locks (including needle nose pliers)
    side cutters
    hammers (small sledte, good quality general purpose, rubber mallet)
    assorted screws/nails

images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images
    images

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I might get flamed for this but I'll just come right out and say it. IMO there ARE times when the cheap tools may be the better choice. Obviously not for the common tools you use all the time, but for the specialty stuff that you may only use a few time a year. One example I'll throw out there is something like a wet saw for tile. When I did my floor, I could have rented a quality saw and it may have made the job a little easier. However, for close to the same money I bought a cheap one from Harbor Freight. It got the job done and I didn't have to worry about returning it on time. Plus I still have it for future use if needed. Its certainly not what I would use if I did it for a living, but for home projects its great. If it breaks after a few uses, I still got what I needed from it and I didn't lose anything. Also, for automotive purposes, most auto parts stores will allow you to "buy" any tool you need for the job and return it after for the full purchase price, meaning it costs you nothing.

As others have said though, if your common tools are of good quality, they will last you a lifetime. And the good brands have a lifetime warranty if they don't.

buzzined

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Crown Point
    Be careful with Harbor Freight tools I have seen their impact sockets come apart and throw shrapnel around. For saftey reasons I will not buy their sockets.

Some tools there are worth it as posted above, but don't expect everyday use out of them.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I'm not a mechanic by train or trade but I am a back yard car tinkerer. I can fix stuff on the car, and hence the need for the tools really.

I don't expect to abuse my tools (giggedy) too much.

evsnova74

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Near-east Indy
    My dad bought me a massive Crapsman set of mechanic's tools 13 years ago for my 18th birthday, I've lost a few pieces here and there but I still have most of it. Only things I ever had to replace were 3/8 drive ratchets and breaker bars, which was my fault. You can't expect a 3/8 drive ratchet to hold up to a 4' pipe slipped onto the end for leverage... lol

I have lot's of random brands of screwdrivers and always finding myself grabbing the craftsman ones mostly.

If there's a bolt that's really stuck and I'm worried about rounding it over I definitely use 6pt sockets, but if there's not much range of motion for the ratchet handle I'll use the 12 point sockets since they slip onto the bolt every 30* instead of every 60*...

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Two "tools' I really like having around x are a good digital volt meter and a thread file.

I'm an electronics and ham radio geek. I miss my multimeter and soldering iron, tbh.

Any reccomendations for those? Also the little useful tools - side-snippers/cutters, needlenose pliers etc. Where can I pick those up from?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm an electronics and ham radio geek. I miss my multimeter and soldering iron, tbh.

Any reccomendations for those? Also the little useful tools - side-snippers/cutters, needlenose pliers etc. Where can I pick those up from?

For a meter, I'd get a Fluke. Something like this. Fluke 115 Digital Multimeter For Service Techs (095969324182) | eBay I have a Fluke 177 that I've had for over 6 years and I don't think I've ever replaced the battery. I have a cheapo Chinese Fluke look a like at home and I'm constantly changing batteries. One nice thing about my Fluke is that if I leave it on, it shuts off automatically. Simply turn the switch back off and back to the setting you want to turn it back on.

AmericanBob

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    from what i've found, the kobalt brand screwdrivers from lowes seem to be ok. i tend to go through a ton of screwdrivers and theirs hold up well. i really like their handles as well. the rubber gripped ones from ace aren't too shabby either as far as a grip purchase goes. for pliers of any type get channelock. they are by far the best hands down. sockets and wrenches i do go with craftsman. they don't hit the wallet quite as hard as snap-on or mac and they have replaced anything i break. tape measures, craftsman or menards tool shop brand. you can get both replaced for free when you break them.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Yeah, there are tools you can go cheap on and there are tools you can't go cheap on.

Torque wrenches for one.
    Yeah, the snap-on wrench was $200 but, I still have it,and it's still accurate.

Multimeters, fluke is expensive, but it will last and will stay accurate.

Micrometers, gauges, precision tools and the like are worth the extra coin.

Same with impact tools, that's where buy once cry once comes into play.

For simple tools like sockets, screwdrivers, hammers, punches, most plyers, things like that you can absolutely cheap out on. Most of my sockets are craftsman, the ratchets broke in the first year of use so I bought Snap-on ratchets that are still humming along. After a while you can tell the feel of a quality tool, like when you pick up a hi-point you just know its not quality.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Gotta say the Craftsman socket driver the father in law got me doesn't compare to his Craftsman from a few years ago. The quality sucks. I'll use it until it dies. LOL.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    Was told an interesting little tidbit about Craftsman tools the other day, they are (allegedly) made by Allen tool Co. they sell Allen brand tools at Menards FYI.

The Allen brand stuff seems to be nice, I have never used them but the look quality.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Picked up some pliers and side cutters at Lowes. 14 piece set including some tweezers. $9.99. Set of metric allen wrenches for under $4. Even the checkout lady was surprised at that one.

They've just closed though (1800) and I had to fight with her on the price of the 14 piece set.

Top Bottom