• ...and so much more!
  • GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I'm an electronics and ham radio geek. I miss my multimeter and soldering iron, tbh.

Any reccomendations for those? Also the little useful tools - side-snippers/cutters, needlenose pliers etc. Where can I pick those up from?

Soldering Iron--definately go with a Weller
    Multimeter--BK and OTC are great. (Fluke is descent too)

You can get the meters at any NAPA (may be special order), Lowes may have different brands and the soldering iron too.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Was told an interesting little tidbit about Craftsman tools the other day, they are (allegedly) made by Allen tool Co. they sell Allen brand tools at Menards FYI.

The Allen brand stuff seems to be nice, I have never used them but the look quality.

Craftsman, Allen, NAPA, Gearwrench, Lufkin, and others are made by Apex Tool Group (formerly Danaher).

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I thought of something else that might be worth mentioning. When it comes to screwdrivers, having a good quality set with all the basic sizes and tips is certainly a necessity as had already been said. But there are a multitude of different tips in use today. Having a screwdriver handle with interchangeable bits is also a necessity IMO. You can get a set of several dozen different bits for not much money at most tool stores. Buying individual tools with all these different tips would be extremely expensive not to mention take up a lot of space in your toolbox. There is also the added benefit of being able to use these tips in your cordless drill. :twocents:

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I thought of something else that might be worth mentioning. When it comes to screwdrivers, having a good quality set with all the basic sizes and tips is certainly a necessity as had already been said. But there are a multitude of different tips in use today. Having a screwdriver handle with interchangeable bits is also a necessity IMO. You can get a set of several dozen different bits for not much money at most tool stores. Buying individual tools with all these different tips would be extremely expensive not to mention take up a lot of space in your toolbox. There is also the added benefit of being able to use these tips in your cordless drill. :twocents:

Great advice, I'm an auto technician by trade and this is dead on accurate.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've got a healthy mix of Snap-on, Matco, MAC, Cornwell, and Craftsman in my box. I prefer Witte screwdrivers, Snap On wrenches, sockets, and ratchets, Knipex pliers, and craftsman for more general tools. I like Fluke multimeters and Makita and DeWalt cordless tools.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I'm not a fan of bit drivers at all but to each their own. A lot of guys carry 10 in 1 screwdrivers at work. By the time they get done fumbling around changing to the tip they need, I've already got the right screwdriver out of the bag. Once you find a good quality set of screwdrivers, you'll know it. Especially Phillips. I'm not a fan of Klein Phillips as the tips don't seem to last.

mainjet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 22, 2009
    Lowell
    I use Craftsman HAND tools. The rest of the craftsman stuff I don't like for the most part. maybe my trouble light is craftsman, I don't remember.

I like Craftsman because if anything does break there are no questions asked and they are local. I have only broken a wrench maybe once and that was a little 1/4 inch combination wrench. They replaced it no problem. Ratchets go here and there but are also replaced by craftsmen.

Snapon are great but I don't have the access and really don't need it. But I know they are good.

screwdrivers - I also use Craftsmen. I like them and they work well.

I will buy an occassional thing from harbor freight but it really depends on how often I am going to use it and what it is. I bought an engine stand from them because it was almost the same cost as renting it and I knew that I would only use it once in a blue moon. Also, I bought an engine support for the same reason from harbor.

If you buy good tools they will last a lifetime for the most part. Buy cheap and they probably won't make it through the job.

Now power tools are a whole different story....

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Thanks guys. As always there's lots of varying opinions.

I thought about the interchangeable bit screwdrivers, but I'm not sure. There ARE a load of different screws around these days and I guess it could be useful to have one of those but I am a fan of the one tool for one job mentality.

Brother in law said he will buy me a screwdriver set for Christmas (he said he didn't want to get me a gift card, fair enough) and it will probably be from Sears - I just have to chose.

A man without a tool selection isn't a man at all ;D

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    I work with Buzzined and most of my tools are the Husky brand from Home Depot. They are cheaper than Craftsman with the same warranty. Make sure to buy both metric and SAE sets of wrenches and sockets as you will use both.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    I don't plan on working on anything SAE (Imperial) right now so they're the last on my list. I am a strictly metric person when it comes to tools. Everything on my car is Metric. Thank God for the Japanese.

That said I'm sure eventually I will come up against something that needs imperial tools (I am imagining something from star wars right now) so maybe I should get something eventually.

Top Bottom