Good vacation spots on Lake Michigan?

Does this qualify?

Boston%20Whaler_zpsyqgmm2ik.jpg

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    The water is pretty cold next to those beaches, even in the summer.

Depends on the wind. A west wind and those beaches are the best anywhere if you ask me. Get anything from the east and it's much colder. The wind either blows the warm surface water towards Michigan or towards Wisconsin.

If you know anything about the prevailing wind then you know on the Wisconsin side the water is almost always 10 degrees cooler with the prevailing wind.

Places to check out for a long weekend - Beverly Shores, Michigan City, New Buff, South Haven and Saugatuck would be my recommendation. Not a fan of St. Joe/Benton Harbor but almost anywhere else between those points on the lake would be fine. Coming from So. Indiana that would be as far as I would want to drive.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    thanks for all the info. we dont have kids so dont have to worry about them. honestly probably wouldnt get in the water much just lounge around on the beach and drink some beers during the day and at night the wife likes to go out so i would need some nightclubs or bars close to hit up

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Thats pretty close to my house. Take a left at the exit, then a right at the stop light. Head north for about 4 miles. Btw, there’s a decent little gun store / bait shop at that stop light.

I've stopped at that gun store. There prices were right at MSRP. But they seemed like nice people. I'll be driving by in about 90 min or so.......again...... for about the 3,245th time.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If you make it to Holland, climb Mt. Pisgah! 269 steps and some awesome views from the top.

That’s right!

And see the windmill....and pick up a carved candle at Dutch Village (which seemed a lot bigger when I went when I was 5 than when I took my kids).

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I highly suggest the extra drive time to head up to the Sleeping Bear Dunes / Traverse City area. It's absolutely gorgeous up there.

Plus there are several dozen wineries in that area if that's your thing.

Top Bottom