• ...and so much more!
  • 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Has anyone played with one yet? I have been looking at them for a while. I bit the bullet and bought one today. It's pretty cool. I am using it with Showbox on my android tablet and it beats the hell out of Netflix. I'll probably be dropping Netflix on my next billing cycle.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I like my chromecast. Its handy for watching youtube videos on my dumb LCD TV. (streaming from ipad)

I find it a good supplement to Netflix. (we only have OTA TV)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I like my chromecast. Its handy for watching youtube videos on my dumb LCD TV. (streaming from ipad)

I find it a good supplement to Netflix. (we only have OTA TV)
    A buddy of mine is in the same situation. I am going to suggest it to him! If you have a Android ph/tablet you should check out Showbox. It bows Netfix away!

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    I have one, it doesn't work. All I get is a flash of the start screen than a black screen that a lot of people are getting.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We have them on every tv in the house. We are trying Amazon fire right now as well since we just finally signed up for Prime.
    Amazon's fire tv box puts chromecast to shame from what I have noticed. Some days chromecast will fly along and other days playing the same videos off of youtube or netflix it just chugs. So far amazon's contraption has been super quick and not crazy pauses to buffer or load during a video.

I think I read somewhere a rumor that chromecast was going to up their processors in chromecast which I would think would make a difference.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    We have them on every tv in the house. We are trying Amazon fire right now as well since we just finally signed up for Prime.
    Amazon's fire tv box puts chromecast to shame from what I have noticed. Some days chromecast will fly along and other days playing the same videos off of youtube or netflix it just chugs. So far amazon's contraption has been super quick and not crazy pauses to buffer or load during a video.

I think I read somewhere a rumor that chromecast was going to up their processors in chromecast which I would think would make a difference.

It also doesnt help that the chromecast is single band wifi where as the fire stick is dual band. I believe the Fire TV has the same specs in that regard.

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Usually have zero problems with Amazon, but the last few days it has been so slow content will barely load.

It is not my connection its an Amazon issue.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Usually have zero problems with Amazon, but the last few days it has been so slow content will barely load.

It is not my connection its an Amazon issue.

I'd guess it's a network traffic issue. All the kids are off school, watching movies :(

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    We cut the cord several months ago and went with Roku stick, Roku 3 and an Apple TV. We don't miss directv at all and the HD antenna gives us a better HD picture then the dish did.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I haven't tried Chromecast, but I did try the fireTV stick, as I got it for the limited $20 price. It worked really, really well. I sold it to a friend because I use a HTPC and a PS3 for all my content and I send my stuff through my receiver in order to take advantage of surround sound. I could have used optical out to send the audio from the TV to the receiver, but it would only come out stereo and not 5.1 surround. I will say for a second TV (or third, etc) the darn thing was very slick.

ccomstock001

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 22, 2014
    Shelbyville
    Amazon sent me a fire tv for a free trial and it was the worst thing I've ever used. The video would take a long time to load and some of the free channels would never load.I have considered getting a chromecast for the bedroom but my Xbox works great so far

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Chromecast on every TV, one that is dedicated to Chromecast content. For $35 each, a way to cast anything from any computer, tablet or phone is hard to argue with.

Top Bottom