• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    We are trying the amazon fire box - not the stick. Sometimes chromecast struggles to load and sometimes its fast.amazon has been nothing but quick seconds after Chromecast fails to load.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Can someone explain this "stick" thing to me? Can I mount the main box somewhere else in the house and only use the stick on the TV that way I don't have wires showing? What picks up the remotes signal with the sticks?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    We have a Roku 3 right now if that helps.... Like it pretty well, so if there is a stick that will go with that I would be very happy.

We dumped satellite and went with a Roku3 and AppleTV in the living room and a Roku Stick in the bedrooms.

So yes, Roku makes a stick and it works great. A little slower than the Roku3 when launching channels but the playback speed is the same. Best Buy has them in stock. I think they're like $50 or so.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We have a Roku 3 right now if that helps.... Like it pretty well, so if there is a stick that will go with that I would be very happy.

I missed this post. I am not familiar with the Roku. The Chromecast plugs in to a HDMI port and is wireless. My tablet, phone or laptop interfaces to the Chromecast via wifi. The Chromecast has to be added to your network via setup. Your streamimg device needs to be on the same network as the Chromecast.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Amazon fire stick is just like chrome cast. It's faster, more space and an easier to use interface. You need to have power plugged into both.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    We have a Roku 3, a Roku 2, and a Samsung SmartTV....the Roku 3 is connected to the main TV with a HDMI cable, the Roku 2 is on a bedroom TV and connected to the RCA ports (yellow, red, white), the Samsung Smart TV in the other room just runs off WiFi and the wall power.

Both Roku devices, as well as the Roku USB stick, all need external power.

The Roku 3 is absolutely the fastest device of the three and the Samsung Smart TV is the slowest.

We had a Chromecast stick, we tried it and it was DOA so I took it back to Wally World and said hell with it.

Now that CBS is on Channel 4, they come in SOOOOO much better on the over the air HDTV antenna than when they were on WISH.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So could I ONLY use the stick? Being able to not have to worry about a bunch of wires would be great.

Yep. Just a power cable and a plug in to the HDMI jack. On the Chromecast you need to use the jumper cable that they provide to go between the Chromecast dongle and the TV jack. It has the WIFI antenna in it. The range on the dongle is poor with out it. That is the usual problem with them. That and some people don't read the directs (like me the first time) and they try to wirelessly connect to the Chromecast box direct. It's a learning curve. It works great and it's only 35 bucks. It works great! If you don't like it you can return it.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Still have to power the stick. We plug ours into the USB port above the hdmi port on the TVs with the stick. It's not noticeable at all.

The Chromecast can be powered from USB too. It comes wotha usb cable and a wall wart. Instructions say to power it separately if you have issues. I wonder what the real differences are between these things? If one really has an advantage over the other? Seems like they all work similar.

Can you guys stream video from a web browser? If you use Google chrome you can stream any internet video content. I can also stream pictures and avi's I have recorded from my or PH or tablet.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    If I can power it with a USB, and it plugs into an HDMI port, then that's what I would do... no wires in front of the tv!!! I am assuming it uses a radio frequency for the remote then since it wont be line of site for IR?

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    The chromecast doesn't have a remote. The controls are on the streaming device. I haven't looked to see if i have a USB jack on my TV. It's pretty new. It probably does I'll have to check.

All the communications are via WiFi. You have to have WiFi for it to work.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    We currently use our Roku (and web-app enabled BluRay player) the most (Netflix, Amazon Prime available on both). We have a Chromecast that we got for free, but never use it. Tried it once, found it to buffer constantly while trying to watch a movie.

Because we are Amazon Prime members, I would probably go with the FireTV box if I had to choose - and perhaps a FireTV stick for travel.

Top Bottom