• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    My wife and I lived on a barrier island on the Atlantic Coast. Great place. Onshore winds kept the bugs at bay...except for fire ants. And palmetto bugs.

And snakes...did I mention snakes?

Or the semi-annual LOVEBUG fest?

Or Canadians?

Or old people who drive with their left blinker on 98% of the time? The other 2% is a right blinker....normally used when making a left hand turn.

My kids went to school down there for a couple of years.....I'd say Indiana generally has a better education system.

Did I mention LOVEBUGS?

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    We have a time share with Disney but we are looking for something where we can stay longer than one to three weeks a year.

We are actually leaving in a few days to try and narrow it down to the area we really like. So far I have it down to Fort Meyers/Naples area and Merritt Island. I prefer the Gulf side myself, but the drive down the A1A is nice too.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have a time share with Disney but we are looking for something where we can stay longer than one to three weeks a year.

We are actually leaving in a few days to try and narrow it down to the area we really like. So far I have it down to Fort Meyers/Naples area and Merritt Island. I prefer the Gulf side myself, but the drive down the A1A is nice too.

We used to roll the A-1A twice a year. Bike week in March and Biketoberfest in October. Cruise up to St. Augustine and roll south.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Killer bees, fire ants, hurricanes, roaches that never die...all reasons we chose not to live there. Everybody can't live everywhere though, so move to the place that makes you happy for the reasons it does. I hope you find a nice place.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Born and raised in Northeast FL. Moved here in 1994. I would not move back to Northeast FL, probably would not be interested in the southern end either myself. Honestly, not sure I'd move back to FL, unless I had serious cash and could live on a nice beach in an area that wasn't overrun with people. Maybe something on the Gulf side in the pan handle area would be nice.

When I lived there I would categorize FL as at least 3 distinct different areas. Northeast FL (basically a lot like other places in the South), South FL (Miami, etc, which is like a different country due to proximity to Cuba, Puerto Rico, Haiti, etc), and the middle of FL, which seemed to be made up of folks who had relocated from the rest of the country (snowbirds, etc)

As others have said, the heat can be oppressive in the summer even if you are used to it. Bugs, snakes, gators, palmetto bushes and moss everywhere (not all bad things, but stuff to be aware of).

I'd love to live somewhere with decent weather year round, but I probably landed in one of the best places I could have when I moved to IN for a job (with little research of the state in advance). Great cost of living here, fairly low taxes, gun rights, etc and we moved to an area with great schools before we even had the kids. I think it would be tough to find a lot of that in a state with a great climate.

Last edited:

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    FWIW, talk to the locals about all things... taxes, tourists, political bents, etc.

I lived in Southern Maine--it was great for 8 months a year. When the tourists came, you were better off staying home each night or going to the secluded spots that weren't on the maps... That is, unless you like a bunch of out-of-staters/country folks coming in, jacking up the prices, snarling traffic, and having an aire of "We bring billions of dollars into the economy, so do whatever it takes to make us happy".

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Say what you want but it was 77* and beautiful here in central Florida today, have all the windows and doors open and headed out in shorts to wash my truck, bet no one on here will be saying that come February...

No rust on vehicles and smooth roads.

Life is a trade off, still miss the golden harvest and leafs but it is easy to come to Indiana for a week in fall.

chef1231

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 23, 2014
    NWI
    Yeah I guess it was just so great while we were there, weather wise. I forgot how hot it can get in the summer there. I hate the heat, anything over 75 makes me uncomfortable. I think I just might want to get out of Indiana which is strange because I do like it here. I am in NWI and there are mills everywhere and all I see is stuff burning in the sky vs FL where it at least seems like good fresh air. lol.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    We are actually leaving in a few days to try and narrow it down to the area we really like. So far I have it down to Fort Meyers/Naples area and Merritt Island. I prefer the Gulf side myself, but the drive down the A1A is nice too.[/QUOTE]. Just drove through Naples, "5th. Avenue " about 1/2 hour ago. Be sure to check it out at night. I'd suggest Naples or even Marco Island. We chose Marco years back as its smaller. Still the traffic is quite testy at times. Fort Myers has outgrown their streets for the amount of traffic.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I've yet to be in/around/near the Panhandle... But I've spent time in the Tampa/Clearwater area, St. Augustine area, Orlando (as a young child), Oveido / New Smyrna area (most recent) and the Melborne area.

Give me St. Augustine and/or New Smyrna areas.

But F that summer heat.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We've spent quite a bit of time (for us) in the Panhandle over the last several years and really enjoy the area. Did a little real estate tire kicking down there a couple of years ago but for us at least, jobs are a concern although we haven't REALLY investigated it. Reality and all that.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    One of my buddies has a place near Clearwater. Goes down in January, comes back north in April. A few years back I was down there in July. No way in hell could I stay there in the summer with that humidity and heat.

Top Bottom