Not open for further replies.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Well said rambone.

What you just went through was an illegal search.

W(hy)TF did they cuff your girl?:n00b:

True, you might have a very good case for harasment (or something).

And this is why I try to stay out of the cities.

At least they didn't mace or taze you for no reason.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    He said there were 4 LEOs.

Have you ever stopped a LEO from doing something that was not right?
    Would you have stopped them from fishing?
    As a matter of fact I have!!
    I was a Command Sgt. for over nineteen years.
    It was my job to see that the Officers under my Command obeyed the Law, and followed Department Procedures.
    They damn well did!!!
    Whether they liked it or not!

ADT knights

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Hendricks County
    Well said rambone.

She never got cuffed. She was about to for some unknown reason untill the other 3 officers said that was not necessary. If they didn't cuff me a 6'2'' 250lb athletic guy I have no clue why he even considered to cuff her.

ar15junkie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    Behind enemy lines
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8z7NC5sgik&feature=related]YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 1[/ame]
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08fZQWjDVKE&feature=related]YouTube - Don't Talk to Cops, Part 2[/ame]

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    ...and they wonder why we don't respect them .

Duncan

Do you feel the same way about other groups, like religions, races, other professions, etc? Or do you actually consider people one at a time, like a thinking person?

Simple thoughts from simple minds, I suppose.

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Well said rambone.

There didn't seem to be any reason to cuff the girl, and indeed, according to the OP, they didn't. One of the officers started to, and he was corrected by other officers on the scene.

I don't care much for these fishing expeditions, but if the officers got consent, it was not an illegal search. You would think that a reasonable person that DID have illegal contraband in the car would not give consent to search, but you would be wrong. Consent searches do often yield illegal substances.

Whether certain substances should be illegal or not is another thread, and I personally don't see anything wrong with weed in particular. But as far as fishing expeditions, if the officers had a valid reason to stop someone (traffic violation, equipment violation), they can ask for consent to search. It's up to a citizen to know his/her rights and act accordingly.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    We have to have LTCH to more fully exercise our 2nd Amendment Rights in IN. Do the police need fishing licenses to stretch the 4th Amendment beyond all reasonable recognition?

Lobo

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    We have to have LTCH to more fully exercise our 2nd Amendment Rights in IN. Do the police need fishing licenses to stretch the 4th Amendment beyond all reasonable recognition?

How is it an unreasonable search if the owner gives consent?

People are responsible to know their rights.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Do you feel the same way about other groups, like religions, races, other professions, etc? Or do you actually consider people one at a time, like a thinking person?

Simple thoughts from simple minds, I suppose.

It is not as simple as you want to make it, Lobo. No disrespect intended here. But there were four LEOs breaking the law and not one of them stepped up to demand they obey the law. Yes, they intimidated the guy into waiving his rights so technically, it was legal; but we all know they had no probable cause so it was an illegal fishing expedition conducted by four of that fair city's finest.

I have lost respect for LEOs because of the consistent practice of such violations and the protection of them by their own. Sure, there are a few good ones out there—Uncle Mike, apparently—based on his posts, and H & K—who trained us at the Evansville shoot last summer. But if I read their posts correctly, both these great guys are no longer active duty. Their influence is gone from the front lines now. When I see on-the-job LEOs stepping up to stop these illegal practices and defending the average citizen from harassment and abuse, I will change my opinion. But for now, I cannot respect anyone carrying a badge. Obey them? Yes. Respect them? Not now.

Some times simple is also wise. "Stupid is as stupid does." Right now, it is the cops who are doing stupid in a magnificent way. I think that you would agree that only a fool fails to make assessments and judgements based on common behavior by a specific group of people—such as when a LEO pulls over a car filled with loud, noisy, rambunctious guys. He (or she) would be a fool to approach that car with anything less than the utmost caution and with a prior call in for speedy back up. Certain groups have common behavior patterns. We all know it. At present, it seems that abuse of power is a common behavior pattern of a group known as LEOs.

Again, no disrespect meant, Lobo. I just want to establish the principle that there is a legitimate basis for losing respect for LEOs at the present time.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I look at this The same way I would if I had my wife with me and 4 men with guns and me unarmed asked me for my wallet. Because you want to end the situation as quickly as possible and get the hell away from them. They have the advantage and are obviously using bullying tactics to get what they want. I am not saying that they are bad guys before I get neg reped again just that intimdation is part of the job or you wouldn't need 4 guys for a traffic stop. I can understand not doing it alone but 4 is excessive are they not worried about actual criminals?

Last edited:

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    It is not as simple as you want to make it, Lobo. No disrespect intended here. But there were four LEOs breaking the law and not one of them stepped up to demand they obey the law. Yes, they intimidated the guy into waiving his rights so technically, it was legal; but we all know they had no probable cause so it was an illegal fishing expedition conducted by four of that fair city's finest.

I have lost respect for LEOs because of the consistent practice of such violations and the protection of them by their own. Sure, there are a few good ones out there—Uncle Mike, apparently—based on his posts, and H & K—who trained us at the Evansville shoot last summer. But if I read their posts correctly, both these great guys are no longer active duty. Their influence is gone from the front lines now. When I see on-the-job LEOs stepping up to stop these illegal practices and defending the average citizen from harassment and abuse, I will change my opinion. But for now, I cannot respect anyone carrying a badge. Obey them? Yes. Respect them? Not now.

Some times simple is also wise. "Stupid is as stupid does." Right now, it is the cops who are doing stupid in a magnificent way. I think that you would agree that only a fool fails to make assessments and judgements based on common behavior by a specific group of people—such as when a LEO pulls over a car filled with loud, noisy, rambunctious guys. He (or she) would be a fool to approach that car with anything less than the utmost caution and with a prior call in for speedy back up. Certain groups have common behavior patterns. We all know it. At present, it seems that abuse of power is a common behavior pattern of a group known as LEOs.

Again, no disrespect meant, Lobo. I just want to establish the principle that there is a legitimate basis for losing respect for LEOs at the present time.

+!!!!!

I'd rep you for this, but I guess I need to reload. :)

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I don't care much for these fishing expeditions, but if the officers got consent, it was not an illegal search.

Actually since the officers did not have any "reasonable suspicion" that the OP committed a criminal or traffic violation, the officers did not have any legal authority to pull the OP's vehicle over, detain, interrogate or search the vehicle or occupants.

Thus the whole stop was illegal.

If I was the OP I'd be on the phone with an attorney.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't understand why people are complaining about illegal search. The police asked and he gave consent. If I asked woman to lift her shirt, she has every right to say no. If she chooses to lift her shirt, you better believe I'm gonna check out her bewbies. :rockwoot:

I haven't done anything wrong by asking, and she can't complain later that she showed me her sweater puppies.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I don't understand why people are complaining about illegal search. The police asked and he gave consent. If I asked woman to lift her shirt, she has every right to say no. If she chooses to lift her shirt, you better believe I'm gonna check out her bewbies. :rockwoot:

I haven't done anything wrong by asking, and she can't complain later that she showed me her sweater puppies.

FAIL. Complete lack of logic and lack of understanding the issue.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wrong. Police ASKED for consent and it was GIVEN. Maybe you fail to understand that. It's not a right if you choose to give it up. If you choose to give up your right, then you have no business complaining.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom