Got screwed - how would you have done it ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Reason # 17 why I don't Facebook..
    I don't believe I would buy a firearm from someone out of state from a non gun website..
    And I would have used a USPS MO to pay.. Instate with someone thats well know, cash & bank / personal check no problem..
    It sucks you got burned, but you gotta be eyes wide open when doing business on the web...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    He has 0 facebook friends... Very empty facebook page, those would have been alarms to me. Also I'm a Cash in hand kind of guy.
    Yeah, the only way I would have dealt with this situation with a FB page like that would be for my money to go to his FFL, to only be paid after the gun arrived at my FFL and gun inspected.

I would report this to the local PD up there, my local PD, Post Office, where I bought my MO. Not sure if anyone would help me, but I would try to raise some hell.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I have filed a police report with his local PD. Best they can hope for is that others will as well which will create enough suspicion for a detective to look into it. They said they doubt it will ever get my money back but it might help get the guy.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    That's sort of a personal question, but I will say that it's a lot different now that I'm married.

Seriously, I would not do something like this on FB at all. I would stick to a site like Gunbroker where you can track the history of the members and verify that they are dependable.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    PM me the full name and address of the individual. I have family up there in the local Kenai area, who may know him, or know of him. No promises, but they may be able to shed a little more information on the individual.

Regarding Postal Money Orders. I got taken in 2012 by the Silent RX suppressor scam. These people were out of Kendalville, IN. Paid for a suppressor with a U.S. Postal Money Order. Never did get my money back. Talked to the USPS, ATF and local police. As far as I know, the case was never resolved and the culprits walked away with $10,000 in scam money.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...-anybody-tried-silentrx-$99-suppressor-5.html

Guy was even a member on here for two years with 321 posts. View Profile: RobbLG - INGunOwners

Baba Looey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    Crawfordsville
    As to the question of alternative methods to handle a transaction with someone you don't know out of state, I would recommend COD. Of course UPS charges a fee to the shipper to collect the funds when delivered and most likely that cost would be passed on to you, but consider it a cheap insurance policy. If seller doesn't like that method then that's a good indicator to steer clear of this person. Good luck.

Top Bottom