Got the brown county sherrifs department called on me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Headed down to Nashville for a visit to my dads, who owns several acres of land on a hill, he has a lake up top, therefore there's a ravine at the bottom to let the water run off. Being outside of city/town limits, I figured that I'd put a few rounds into an old car that sits in the ravine. A buddy of mine, also a fellow INGOer was nice enough to let me take his AR for a spin. Not long after I finished shooting, I heard a voice coming from somewhere and began looking around, only to see one of the neighbor ladies, whose house sat atop a higher hill (at least 70') trying to find me. I was already packed up and headed back to the house so I didn't think much of it, especially since shooting is a common occurrence in the area. I figured that she was just annoyed by the noise I was making since the sound waves were pretty much echoing in the ravine, it was almost too loud to shoot even with Ear protection. When I got to the house, my dad told me that it sounded like Afghanistan was going on in the back, we had a laugh and started working on a truck, when promptly (45min-an hour later) a sheriff truck came down the drive. Without even getting out of the truck, the officer asked us if we'd hear shooting, my dad went over and said "Yeah, I heard it over in that direction", referring to the area where I was shooting. The officer then asked if we were alright, after a head nod from my dad the officer told us that he received two separate calls about it and therefore had to come out. After that, he just told us to be safe and backed out of the drive. I told my dad that I should probably shoot in a different spot, his reply was "Don't worry about it, what happens on this side of the property line is none of that ladies business.:D"

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Woohoo!!! Good for you! I had a similar situation while visiting my dad in Oklahoma a year or so ago. Seems they have a new "neighbor", city chick that wants to get back to her roots. Anyhow, the GF and I are out back at his pond shooting turtles with various pieces of the arsenal and the city chick sends the help over to talk to dad. The help being another old farmer that the city chick is taggin' along thinking he's gonna get some of "it". Never mind that we are shooting 180 degrees from the city chicks place from the top of a hill almost 75 or so degrees down into the water in an area the locals call "the bowl" due to the terrain. Anyway the help tells pop how city chick is scared to death that she's going to get hit by an errant round and with her being from the city she doesn't appreciate the gunfire.

Pop tells the help to go pound sand but in deference to the fact he has to live with these idiots I grudgingly put the toys away.

Footnote to the story is that the help never got any of "it", city chick pissed off ALL the neighbors, put her place up for sale and moved back to Dallas.

Once again, no turtle is safe in dads' pond!:rockwoot:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    so you shoot turtles, just for the hell of it? You don't want soup, or fancy turtle shell hats. You just shoot them because they are there?

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    i try to be nice to the neighbors around my place....i dont shoot early or late....i am always mindful of the direction i shoot. But i had one of them come over and pitch a fit when i shot some tannerite in a field (my field) that was at least 1/4 mile from his house probly closer to 1/2 mile. He said it was scaring his chickens and rattling his windows. I was nice and quit what i was doing.....but it bugged me that he thought he could tell me what to do on my property. What if i wanted to raise cane about his cows stinkin up the air or something (i dont mind the cows its just the point of the matter).

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    So your dad intentionally mislead an officer? If you felt you were legally able to shoot, why not just tell the deputy?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I used to do the same thing when my uncle and grandfather has a spread in Oklahoma (near Meeker). Same excuse, too. :):

To make it a real challenge, we used to try to use .44 BP pistols.

I just bought one! I may have to take it down there next month. Seems like the concussion of that thing hitting anywhere within 3 ft would take the target out.

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    So your dad intentionally mislead an officer? If you felt you were legally able to shoot, why not just tell the deputy?

the officer asked us if we'd hear shooting, my dad went over and said "Yeah, I heard it over in that direction", referring to the area where I was shooting. The officer then asked if we were alright, after a head nod from my dad the officer told us that he received two separate calls about it and therefore had to come out.

Sounds like he answered the questions that were asked. How is that misleading???

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Or did the individual answer the questions as they were asked?

If you expect complete transparency and truthfulness from a LEO, I think it should work both ways.
    I recall pulling over a guy with a suspended license and asking him if he owned a phone. He told me "no." I intended to not tow his vehicle, even though his attitude wasn't the best. A phone fell out of his pocket, and I asked him "what that was." He stated it was the used. I asked him if he remembered when I asked him if he owned a phone. He stated, he did, and that he was on his mother's plan so "technically," he didn't own the phone.

...he walked home.

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    asked and answered. you do not have to give every detail. had there been a recent law change in the county about discharging firearms, and they said they were shooting this would have been construed as invoking their 5th amendment rights to not volunteer incriminating evidence.

Top Bottom