Got the brown county sherrifs department called on me.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    If you expect complete transparency and truthfulness from a LEO, I think it should work both ways.
    I recall pulling over a guy with a suspended license and asking him if he owned a phone. He told me "no." I intended to not tow his vehicle, even though his attitude wasn't the best. A phone fell out of his pocket, and I asked him "what that was." He stated it was the used. I asked him if he remembered when I asked him if he owned a phone. He stated, he did, and that he was on his mother's plan so "technically," he didn't own the phone.

...he walked home.

In this case you asked if he had a phone. In OP's case the officer never asked who was shooting. That would change things. Could they have said " Yes we were shooting" they could, but well all know they have the right to remain silent right?

Pyriel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Carmel
    Honestly the officer seemed more annoyed by the fact that he was called in the first place, and more anxious to leave the area than really concerned with finding the source of hi powered rifle shots, by himself in the wood. He did however laugh at my dads particular brand of humor.... Had he addressed me directly as in ; making direct eye contact, stepping out of the vehicle, or even by the color jacket that I was wearing, then I would have answered his questions without an issue. It also made my more since for my dad to answer the questions since he is actually on a first name basis with most of the officers in that area, as well as the being the property owner.

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    If you expect complete transparency and truthfulness from a LEO, I think it should work both ways.
    I recall pulling over a guy with a suspended license and asking him if he owned a phone. He told me "no." I intended to not tow his vehicle, even though his attitude wasn't the best. A phone fell out of his pocket, and I asked him "what that was." He stated it was the used. I asked him if he remembered when I asked him if he owned a phone. He stated, he did, and that he was on his mother's plan so "technically," he didn't own the phone.

...he walked home.

I never expect complete transparency or truthfulness from anyone in this situation. It's always a negotiation.

Ask better questions if you need better answers. I'm willing to bet the deputy was more than happy to take the answer he was given.

"Dispatch, I'm 10-8. Checks OK." Nice and easy - no report, no bad feelings....

blamecharles

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    South side of Indian
    I never expect complete transparency or truthfulness from anyone in this situation. It's always a negotiation.

Ask better questions if you need better answers. I'm willing to bet the deputy was more than happy to take the answer he was given.

"Dispatch, I'm 10-8. Checks OK." Nice and easy - no report, no bad feelings....

^^^this^^^ I am sure the responding officer knew the property owner, and would have realized if anything was out of the ordinary. I really miss living in the country(Texas) for this type of situation. When an officer came out to our area it was someone we had known for years.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I will have to admit though that a fancy turtle shell hat would be badass.

:dunno:

Jude-Law-Hat--45039.jpg

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    QUOTE]
    That would be a great thing a "QUID PRO QUO", but I do not expect complete transparency and truthfulness from 99% of the people I encounter requardless of their occupation. But YMMV.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I would cut the deputy a break on the call, assuming it's the first time he was called out. Unless he's been sent there before, he might just want to be sure there's nothing suspicious going on (e.g. home invasion or robbery). Once the department figures out your neighbor doesn't like gunfire, they'll probably take their time answering her future calls. Or just tell her it's okay for you to do what you're doing.

Everybody complains about slow responses to 911 but when an officer actually does show up, folks grouse too. :dunno:

Just so I understand, the officer ascertained everything was okay, didn't actually interrogate anybody or tell anybody to stop shooting, and then left?

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    That's one thing that's kind of annoying about living here in brown county. On one end you've got all the people that like to shoot and hunt. The other end consists of retirees (of the non-shooting variety) and the "we moved here for the peace and quiet" type. For instance where I live in the county, if i go out back and shoot it's a guarantee that at least 1 of my neighbors will follow suit and try to one up me lol. In another part of the county where my buddy lives, we can't even go squirrel hunting with a .22 without his neighbor coming out and screaming that she'll call the cops on us. I've just learned to ignore it because the one time an officer did come out he just said as long as we were on our land and being safe there wasn't an issue. Unfortunately, you came across one of the "shut the hell up and look at the pretty leaves" citizens.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Would that turtle shell battle helmet stop a .556 round? :D

Stealth armor for redneck militia?
    No unfortunately it will not stop a round, even as one as puny as the 5.56...

However I have heard it is good at stop the Brain scanners waves...
    Not as good as Armadillo shells though...

jackadew

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Washington Co.
    You know whats going to happen if you go shooting at your Dads again...the crazy lady is going to call the cops again. And the Deputy is going to have to investagate again. My way of looking at it was if you would have told the Deputy the first time that it was you shooting in a safe direction on your dads property...that would of been the end of it. Next time the crazy lady called, Deputy would known it was you and you had permission...better off for everyone. But thats just the way i see it.

elwoodward

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Washington Co.
    Sounds like when i was sighting in my muzzle loader last year the new neighbor at my friends house didn't like the noise. during our shooting a Sheriffs deputy pulls in the neighbors driveway we keep shooting about 5 or 10 minutes later the deputy is on the radio 88 88-** 10-8.(volunteer fire dept. radio has sheriffs channel). We finish up our shooting and go about our business.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Bummer. Local sheriff live catty korner from me, shoots all the time. Several of us neighbors shoot throughout the year, with no more than a phone call to give each other a heads up that some practice shooting may be going on. I did not realize how good we had it until I read threads like this.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    So your dad intentionally mislead an officer? If you felt you were legally able to shoot, why not just tell the deputy?

He never mislead the officer if I am reading it correctly.

The officer asked if they heard gunfire. The dad said "yes."

The officer asked where. The dad responded "over there."

The officer asked if everyone was ok. The dad replied "yes."

The officer never asked if anyone knew WHO was doing the shooting.

All of the questions were answered perfectly truthfully. The officer just never asked the final question: "were either of YOU shooting a gun?"

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

...he walked home.

So, you towed the guy's car because he told the truth??

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    oldfish15
    Top Bottom