• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Just got my absentee ballot. Wow, six Republican candidates. Any comments on who might be good or bad (and why).

Braun
    Chambers
    Crouch
    Doden
    Hill
    Reitenour

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Anyone watch the debate tonight?

Braun, Chambers, Crouch, and Doden participated as the other 2 were not polling high enough to get the invite.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Anyone watch the debate tonight?

Braun, Chambers, Crouch, and Doden participated as the other 2 were not polling high enough to get the invite.

We did, surprised there wasn't a lively thread about it.

We met Curtis Hill over the weekend and were disappointed he wasn't polling high enough to get in the debate and likely stands no chance.

Going into the debate I was leaning Braun, but IMO Crouch did well. I only watched about half of it but the wife watched it all.

Crouch was big on phasing out the income tax and no mandates or restrictions (gave Holcomb a 'C' for how he handled Covid). Hard no on legalizing Marijuana and believes life begins at conception.

Chambers couldn't shut up and kept going over his time (even during the very short, one word answer questions). Turns out he spearheaded the LEAP district (Eli Lilly in Boone County) so he's a hard no, Doden avoided the question how is Holcomb doing and didn't impress me with his answers.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    We did, surprised there wasn't a lively thread about it.

We met Curtis Hill over the weekend and were disappointed he wasn't polling high enough to get in the debate and likely stands no chance.

Going into the debate I was leaning Braun, but IMO Crouch did well. I only watched about half of it but the wife watched it all.

Crouch was big on phasing out the income tax and no mandates or restrictions (gave Holcomb a 'C' for how he handled Covid). Hard no on legalizing Marijuana and believes life begins at conception.

Chambers couldn't shut up and kept going over his time (even during the very short, one word answer questions). Turns out he spearheaded the LEAP district (Eli Lilly in Boone County) so he's a hard no, Doden avoided the question how is Holcomb doing and didn't impress me with his answers.
    I thought Chambers got a bit better toward the end.

Each of them seemed to have a few things that they seemed to use as a policy platform except Braun.

Braun did not impress me at all in this debate.

Leaning towards Chambers for the business/economic aspects, but need to know more on some of his other stances (2A being one of those)

I agree, Crouch seemed to do well. She didn't really answer how she plans to replace the income tax revenue other than saying it won't happen overnight, but she had that as well as the mental health item as her priorities it seemed.

I thought the questions were a bit simplistic but given the time that they slotted for answers it couldn't get very deep I guess.

The gas tax question for example begged to be a wider question on plans for tax structures, including property, income, sales, etc taxes, which was where the candidates generally wanted to take it.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I thought Chambers got a bit better toward the end.

Each of them seemed to have a few things that they seemed to use as a policy platform except Braun.

Braun did not impress me at all in this debate.

Leaning towards Chambers for the business/economic aspects, but need to know more on some of his other stances (2A being one of those)

I agree, Crouch seemed to do well. She didn't really answer how she plans to replace the income tax revenue other than saying it won't happen overnight, but she had that as well as the mental health item as her priorities it seemed.

I thought the questions were a bit simplistic but given the time that they slotted for answers it couldn't get very deep I guess.

The gas tax question for example begged to be a wider question on plans for tax structures, including property, income, sales, etc taxes, which was where the candidates generally wanted to take it.
    Agreed. Braun (surprisingly) didn't do well. The last ten minutes (and the question about the time zone) were a joke and waste of time...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Our Governor has no real power when it comes to making or changing law, so those kinds of questions are really quite meaningless.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Our Governor has no real power when it comes to making or changing law, so those kinds of questions are really quite meaningless.
    Do most governors? Or do they put forth the plan /objectives that the legislature (if aligned from a party standpoint) should be taking up?

And it seems to me if a plan is to pull a major part of revenue from the budget being able to state where one is going to make it up matters. If it's going to be via consumption taxes (sales, etc) or property taxes, taxes levied on corporations, etc. Moving the air in the balloon will impact someone and I'd like to know where.

The questions were fluff and it showed.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Do most governors? Or do they put forth the plan /objectives that the legislature (if aligned from a party standpoint) should be taking up?

And it seems to me if a plan is to pull a major part of revenue from the budget being able to state where one is going to make it up matters. If it's going to be via consumption taxes (sales, etc) or property taxes, taxes levied on corporations, etc. Moving the air in the balloon will impact someone and I'd like to know where.

The questions were fluff and it showed.
    I imagine they were. I didn't watch.

My goal will be to vote for someone that hopefully will not be another Holcomb.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I like Braun. I also like the idea of phasing out the income tax. Indiana has been a financially well run state, and hope that would continue. Not sure yet.

Top Bottom