• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    From what little I viewed from the first debate, I just got frustrated.
    Seemed like the moderator would ask question A, and the candidates would give answer B, C or just hit the replay button on a campaign commercial. Of course the moderator simply moved on to their next point.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    From what little I viewed from the first debate, I just got frustrated.
    Seemed like the moderator would ask question A, and the candidates would give answer B, C or just hit the replay button on a campaign commercial. Of course the moderator simply moved on to their next point.
    Sounds like a typical debate these days, sadly

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Several of the governor candidates were at the Orange County Lincoln Day dinner last night. Braun was not one of them. Dowden talked about spending 10% of the budget on “revitalizing small towns”—pass, we don’t need to saddle the tax payers with more centralized spending.

Crouch’s wasn’t too bad. Getting rid of the state income tax, while I’m all for reducing taxes, without a commensurate reduction state spending is akin to rearranging the decks on the Titantic.

Hill gave the best speech. I forgot he put the kibash to Holcomb’s mask mandate a couple years ago. I got to talk to him briefly and he comes across a little odd in person. But he did give the most compelling speech.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    Several of the governor candidates were at the Orange County Lincoln Day dinner last night. Braun was not one of them. Dowden talked about spending 10% of the budget on “revitalizing small towns”—pass, we don’t need to saddle the tax payers with more centralized spending.

Crouch’s wasn’t too bad. Getting rid of the state income tax, while I’m all for reducing taxes, without a commensurate reduction state spending is akin to rearranging the decks on the Titantic.

Hill gave the best speech. I forgot he put the kibash to Holcomb’s mask mandate a couple years ago. I got to talk to him briefly and he comes across a little odd in person. But he did give the most compelling speech.
    Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax . You pay a higher sales tax, and even food is taxed. But there is more in your check each week, and the wealthy that buy more, pay more taxes. I think this is more fair than dealing with state income taxes every year with poorer people. Plus getting your taxes done with just federal is also cheaper. Independent contractors have to only deal with federal each quarter. There is more upside to it than down. The only thing I had a problem with was getting a bigger bill than I was use to getting. After that shock wore off, it wasn't a big deal. That was one of the few things I miss about down there.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Tennessee doesn't have a state income tax . You pay a higher sales tax, and even food is taxed. But there is more in your check each week, and the wealthy that buy more, pay more taxes. I think this is more fair than dealing with state income taxes every year with poorer people. Plus getting your taxes done with just federal is also cheaper. Independent contractors have to only deal with federal each quarter. There is more upside to it than down. The only thing I had a problem with was getting a bigger bill than I was use to getting. After that shock wore off, it wasn't a big deal. That was one of the few things I miss about down there.
    It’s all about who we want to stick the check with. Trading one tax for another when spending levels don’t change really doesn’t change the overall tax burden on the people. You, personally might get a windfall and some other guy might be paying more but the overall size of the check doesn’t change. I want to reduce the size of the check. This is a gimmick.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    It’s all about who we want to stick the check with. Trading one tax for another when spending levels don’t change really doesn’t change the overall tax burden on the people. You, personally might get a windfall and some other guy might be paying more but the overall size of the check doesn’t change. I want to reduce the size of the check. This is a gimmick.
    Agreed.

I want to be able to own my home, instead of renting it from the government the rest of my life.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I get and agree what you are saying. I often word it as... I am expected to live within my means and I expect the government to do the same. I can't go to a boss and demand a pay raise because I want to do more or have better quality in my real life. The point I was making is that there is a burden, it puts that burden on the more wealthy. But I think you knew that already.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I get and agree what you are saying. I often word it as... I am expected to live within my means and I expect the government to do the same. I can't go to a boss and demand a pay raise because I want to do more or have better quality in my real life. The point I was making is that there is a burden, it puts that burden on the more wealthy. But I think you knew that already.
    How does it do that more than income tax? In fact I've seen the opposite argument, that since rich people are able to save more they are actually taxed less comparatively with a consumption tax.

Why should there be a larger burden on more wealthy people anyway?

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    No state income tax in Tennessee, but a higher sales tax.
    OK, you can have a larger paycheck BUT you get to pay more on groceries and other items? Yup, that’ll save the “poor” allot of money?

I am not an accountant and I know nothing about taxes but I have seen results from tax cuts to people who make more money. If you tax the rich, we ultimately pay more in the end. Raised prices, fewer jobs and so on.

I am not convinced your idea would work….seems like smoke and mirrors to me.

Again, I know nuthin’.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    How does it do that more than income tax? In fact I've seen the opposite argument, that since rich people are able to save more they are actually taxed less comparatively with a consumption tax.

Why should there be a larger burden on more wealthy people anyway?
    I stated before that it seems more fair to me.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    As I said before, devil is in the details and she's (Crouch) not giving any. Unless spending/budget is reduced, the air in the balloon just gets squeezed elsewhere. Someone may benefit but someone else gets hit. My luck it will move to hit me in the stage of life I'm approaching while I paid a lot of state income tax up until now.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    In Indiana? He wasn't a Senator in 2017, so it couldn't have been a Federal tax.
    He was in state legislature and voted to increase the state portion of the gas tax. There is a state as well as federal aspect to gas tax.

Top Bottom