• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We don't ever answer calls from unrecognized numbers. Generally the voicemail is a robocall. My son almost got sucked into the "if you don't pay us $400 now your computer will crash" scam when he was in college. He called me for advice and I told him to ask for a number to call them back at. They hung up and I told him to unplug is computer and don't be so gullible in the future. They can sound very convincing, but they are just the modern day con men selling you the Brooklyn Bridge.

Wow! Hold on there buddy, give me a few minutes and I'll show you the deed IN MY NAME!:drama:

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Yeah, if I answer, I just pause and don't say anything for a second or 2 and just listen. If it is a real person, there will be background noise or they'll say "Hello" first.

This.

Unfortunately one of the meds I get for arthritis is renewed by phone every month. The legitimate call comes from Michigan or Wisconsin, depending on the call center working at the time. I have noted the numbers so answer if I am sure who it is, if not let it go to voicemail then call them back on the number I have saved for the pharmacy.

Don

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    2 years ago my MIL, in her 80's got a call about her grandson in jail in a foreign country. Unfortunately, he travels to several countries for work/ church missions. She sent $2000 before we could stop it.

She is not stupid, ran her own business 30 years. Still not sure why she was snagged into it. We have done some extensive training with them about this.

Everything is now in a trust with a very capable daughter.

Don

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I let my kids know without any uncertainty, that if they go to jail, they aren't getting bailed out by ANYONE. If you are dumb enough to get arrested, then you can stay in jail.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    This scam actually works sometimes with the elderly. An older women I know fell for it, and actually went to the Walgreens to get the money sent. The teller at Walgreens knew her, and called one of her kids to come sort it out, so the money was never sent. Very sad situation.

I hope her family did something nice for that lady

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I let my kids know without any uncertainty, that if they go to jail, they aren't getting bailed out by ANYONE. If you are dumb enough to get arrested, then you can stay in jail.

The call I know of was a variation of the jail thing, think it was "car broke down and left the relative stranded out of state". The person fell for it, as the family does travel a lot.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I got a similar call a couple months ago. I don't have a grandson, so I was amused for a while as I listened to the story. Then I got bored and hung up.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    It's funny until they get lucky and catch you with something that makes sense in your current life. Your grandson might not be a scumbag who frequently needs bailed out, but somebody's is.

At this point I'm wishing we could find and drone strike the call centers. Maybe this crap would stop if some rented offices in India started mysteriously exploding.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    My mom got this call a couple of years ago , they actually used one of my stepsons names, she told the she didn't have any money and hung up

Been telling the kids this since they were teenagers.
    The one time I was arrested(long story), My father in law was there to bail me out in 20 min

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    In very general terms, if the phone rings and the caller is not in your directory, it's a scammer. We still have one of those old fashioned land line things. Service is from Xfinity. We also have their internet and TV service. I've installed their NoMoRobo program. Robo calls ring once and disappear. Don't even show in the caller ID log.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Anyone have luck with android apps to screen out the robocalls?

Obviously, we cannot afford to lose even one important business or personal call, but it would be nice to not have the phone not even ring for the junk calls.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I was getting 3 to 5 robo calls a week for my cars warranty, health insurance, or that stupid chinese visa expiring scam they pull on Purdue students. Back in February I re-recorded my voicemail and included the SIT for Number Not In Service. You've all heard it before; "Doo-De-DEE The number you are trying to reach is no longer in service...." I went to youtube, found that someone that had a high quality recording and re-recorded my greeting first plaing that tone back, waited 3 seconds then just used my normal outgoing message. It took maybe a month but now I'm getting less than 2 a month. Sorry everyone that has to listen to my voicemail and gets those tones that is a real person, but until I can block all unknown callers you have to listen to the tones. The robo dialers hear that and assume your number is out of service and will gradually drop you off their calling list.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I got a call today from an unknown number. I let it go to voicemail. They left a message saying, in broken english, something about me committing a felony. I forgot to call them back...

Top Bottom