• ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had forgotten about the disconnected number trick. I think there was a tone sequence that was supposed to trigger an automatic removal of your number from the list. It may have been the same one. I had a couple of little modules I used to use on the landline when I still had that. One would pick up the line and just play the ringback tone until the caller hung up, but I would hear the caller ID and I could answer if I wanted. The other had a recording of the disconnected line message with the tones. Now, if I don't recognize a number I usually ignore it. I look it up on 800notes.com; they have an extensive database of bad callers. Unfortunately, a lot of the spam calls show 317 numbers, so I can hardly trust my own NPA. I block a lot of numbers. I just wish there was some way to get the phone not to display the calls I've gotten from blocked numbers. I blocked them because I don't want to know.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    In very general terms, if the phone rings and the caller is not in your directory, it's a scammer. We still have one of those old fashioned land line things. Service is from Xfinity. We also have their internet and TV service. I've installed their NoMoRobo program. Robo calls ring once and disappear. Don't even show in the caller ID log.

I have the same, and I thought I signed up for nomorobo (hasn't stopped them), but is there something specific to Xfinity that I need to do? I think I went to nomorobo's website or something, but it's been awhile ago.

dsol

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    Jeffersonville
    Scams and robocalls... the person that can come up with an app that will let you shock someone on the other end of the line through the phone will become a billionaire overnight.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The good old days of accurate reverse phone number lookups is gone. Cell companies recycle numbers too fast. There's no way to really tell if the caller is using their real number or not. There's even gadgets that can ring multiple phones at the same time using any caller ID they want. If a number keeps calling & you dial it back, it'll often come up as out of service.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    More aggravating calls are ringing my work cell phone right now! Oh, I hate these people but have had to change how I deal with them. I am in field service so am told to pick up calls when I'm on the clock but the stupid phone rings and gets texts 24/7. If I'm clocked in and driving, I play along. I waste as much of their time as i possibly can. I'm driving to a customer site. I've got nothing better to do anyway. I've kept the other party waiting for my info for 20, 30 minutes sometimes.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    I have a very sick sister so I answer the phone as it could be one of her friends calling on their phone to tell me something is bad with her. I have a robe blocker on my phone but some get though yet.

I will not do any grandkid any good to ask for bail as I let a 19 daughter and 19 son set in jail over a weekend. I tell them "don't do the crime if you can't do the time." Now my brother is different as he called and said he would pay as quick as I could get him to an ATM after they let him out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I had forgotten about the disconnected number trick. I think there was a tone sequence that was supposed to trigger an automatic removal of your number from the list. It may have been the same one. I had a couple of little modules I used to use on the landline when I still had that. One would pick up the line and just play the ringback tone until the caller hung up, but I would hear the caller ID and I could answer if I wanted. The other had a recording of the disconnected line message with the tones. Now, if I don't recognize a number I usually ignore it. I look it up on 800notes.com; they have an extensive database of bad callers. Unfortunately, a lot of the spam calls show 317 numbers, so I can hardly trust my own NPA. I block a lot of numbers. I just wish there was some way to get the phone not to display the calls I've gotten from blocked numbers. I blocked them because I don't want to know.

The good old days of accurate reverse phone number lookups is gone. Cell companies recycle numbers too fast. There's no way to really tell if the caller is using their real number or not. There's even gadgets that can ring multiple phones at the same time using any caller ID they want. If a number keeps calling & you dial it back, it'll often come up as out of service.

Or an innocent person that you accidentally annoy. They do call spoofing in your same AC and prefix to make it seem like a local call. I cant tell you the number of times my phone has rung and after answering I hear "you just called me. What do you need?" and it takes about 2 minutes of explaining that my cell phone has been safely in my holster, and I most definitely did not call them, and how caller ID spoofing works. Often times they are adamant that I did indeed call them and I am lying. :rolleyes:And its REALLY fun when you get an aggressive scammer that has seriously annoyed somebody and they call you irate because your number is the one that they spoofed. LOVE dealing with those types.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have a very sick sister so I answer the phone as it could be one of her friends calling on their phone to tell me something is bad with her. I have a robe blocker on my phone but some get though yet.

I will not do any grandkid any good to ask for bail as I let a 19 daughter and 19 son set in jail over a weekend. I tell them "don't do the crime if you can't do the time." Now my brother is different as he called and said he would pay as quick as I could get him to an ATM after they let him out.

I knew better than to call my parents or any relative for that matter if and when I ended up in custody. But man they would sure call me.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

Dad bailed me out once. 16 yrs old, 1935 beverage act, excessive speeds, malicious trespassing (cut through a field), fleeing the Po-Po, etc. I was informed in no uncertain terms that was my only "get out of jail card" he'd give me.
    65 GTO was quick but radio waves beat me to the finish line.
    Oh, got my ass kicked in the elevator of the City County building. I had the mouth on me even back then. The kindly officer with the stick taught me some manners.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Dad bailed me out once. 16 yrs old, 1935 beverage act, excessive speeds, malicious trespassing (cut through a field), fleeing the Po-Po, etc. I was informed in no uncertain terms that was my only "get out of jail card" he'd give me.
    65 GTO was quick but radio waves beat me to the finish line.
    Oh, got my ass kicked in the elevator of the City County building. I had the mouth on me even back then. The kindly officer with the stick taught me some manners.

I have a similar tale to share with you next time I see you......:):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I have a similar tale to share with you next time I see you......:):

Looking forward to it.
    Oh, for what it's worth.... Got all the charges dropped but one and since I was a minor it got dropped to a misdemeanor. The Excessive speed thingy.
    Good legal mouthpieces are worth their weight in gold.
    Enough of the "hijack" from me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Looking forward to it.
    Oh, for what it's worth.... Got all the charges dropped but one and since I was a minor it got dropped to a misdemeanor. The Excessive speed thingy.
    Good legal mouthpieces are worth their weight in gold.
    Enough of the "hijack" from me.

Man how did we survive all of that.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Coworker's grandma fell for it. sent $2k of amazon gift cards. coworker got home and visited her that night (farm family, live on the same property) and she was all "oh how are you? I was so worried!" so he asked what was up. he looked up the cards from her receipt and added them to his amazon account before they could cash them in thereby foiling their efforts so semi-happy ending.

Or an innocent person that you accidentally annoy. They do call spoofing in your same AC and prefix to make it seem like a local call. I cant tell you the number of times my phone has rung and after answering I hear "you just called me. What do you need?" and it takes about 2 minutes of explaining that my cell phone has been safely in my holster, and I most definitely did not call them, and how caller ID spoofing works. Often times they are adamant that I did indeed call them and I am lying. :rolleyes:And its REALLY fun when you get an aggressive scammer that has seriously annoyed somebody and they call you irate because your number is the one that they spoofed. LOVE dealing with those types.

Nice thing about that is I still have the same phone number after 15 years and the kicker is it's from when I lived in IL. I haven't lived there in 10 years though so everyone I might want to talk to from there, I already have their number. Thus any 815 number that's not already in my contacts list is a spammer. Hasn't failed yet.

The exception is semi-legit (US humans) places like some city police veterans whatsits that got my number from the NRA.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just got the social security scam call. They left a voicemail, "Your social security number has been suspended..."

Jim1117

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    :popcorn: My 16 yer old Grandson came to see me today. :yesway: While he is here I get a phone call with him crying :( :crying: that he is in jail in Columbus, Ohio". He has a 5 min call to raise bail. He doesn't want me to call mom and dad till he is out of jail so please don't call them. He would call them as soon as he was out. My grandson is setting there trying not to laugh to loud. The phone guy then said a public defender would call in 2 min to explain how I could pay from the phone. He hung up the phone then about 30 sec the phone rings and Will Tell is on the phone from the public defenders office asking me if I'm ready to pay for his bail. He needs my credit card, I tell him the head RN won't let me have it. How am I going to help my unknown grandson out of jail? It must be the 4 year old that had the car accident with the 16 year old setting there.

Glad that was not me: I have 14 grandsons!!! I would have been in a pickle! Lol.

Top Bottom