• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We are in a flood plane just above Speedway. It has been in the houses behind us about 10 yrs. ago but we got pounded for hours. Not worried at this time but vigilant.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    the map shows 5 to 7 inches of rain where I live.

Me too. Good thing is that is over 3 days or so. Plus as already pointed out, as dry as it's been I'd be surprised if anything severe happens on a wide scale basis...well, I'm hopeful anyway.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    May move stuff off the floor in the basement... probably ought to clean out the gutters, too. Wife's been wanting me to do that for a while now anyways.

AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    We've spent the week cleaning out the garage, so there's still quite a bit of junk laying around the driveway. I got some of it in tonight, but I definitely need to get the rest inside tomorrow morning. And then I'll put on my rain jacket and head to the range!

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Is the next great flood coming in about 36 hours? I've noticed two of my neighbors who live by the creek moving stuff away from the almost dry creek bed.

They are saying 2 to 6 inches over a large part of the state. I live on a hilltop, so I'm not as worried.

What are you flat landers or valley folk doing to "prepare".................

i plan on seeing how deep the mud gets. :D

then seeing if the winch still works.

:popcorn:

documentation to follow.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 17, 2010
    Freedom , yes really Freedom
    like the OP like on a hill , mines specifically a "clay" hill , but ill be throwing the chainsaw in the car just in case and checked the drainage ditch at the end of the drive and cleaned out a milk jug and a bunch of other crap ........ i'm in the middle of nowhere , who seriously throws a milk jug out the window ???

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The water would have to be at least 50' high in the creek down the road and as wide as a river to get where I live. I live on top of a hill and there is many other areas where it can run off to. Now, where I lived in 2008 might, but that is why I don't live there anymore. If there is flooding, I will try to help my town as much as possible.
    If you're down south a ways near Allendale, then you shouldn't be using phrases like "if there is flooding". Rather, you should be using phrases like "when there is flooding".

Aaaand...

"Here comes the rain.
    du-du du-du
    Here comes the rain,
    And I say,
    It's alright.

du-du-du du-du-du du-du du-du"

I'll be watching Irene's progress via www.wunderground.com/radar/radblast.asp?ID=IND

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    If you're down south a ways near Allendale, then you shouldn't be using phrases like "if there is flooding". Rather, you should be using phrases like "when there is flooding".

Aaaand...

"Here comes the rain.
    du-du du-du
    Here comes the rain,
    And I say,
    It's alright.

du-du-du du-du-du du-du du-du"

I'll be watching Irene's progress via Current Indianapolis NEXRAD Radar Map | Weather Underground

Nope, not near Allendale anymore. That is where I was in 2008. I will not live in that area again. I lived in Greenbriar Apartments that are right next to the Walmart. Now I live in East Glenn.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    My son came home from school and asked"Daddy, will we all die if it floods like the hurricane is doing right now in Louisiana?"

I assured him we were well away from the river!(7 miles) Secondly, explained that we "don't get scared, we get prepared". Got my bag out and explained what goes where.

Made him up a BOB, and after explaining how to use some of the items, he gave me a hug, and told me that he felt better to have things "ready" if needed. His favorite is the 2 color headlamp. (white light or red).

11 yr old prepper, learning to control his fears, made me realize how easy TV can panic people by having concise reporting. We went for a walk, and he carried his BOB on his back. By the way, its lighter than his book bag he goes to the bus stop with.

Dybber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    South side Indy
    I'm just getting the kids toys outta the yard but not worried about it where I am. I did move 2 boat trailers, flat bed trailer, and a scissor lift from storage in the garages under my father in laws barn. It's by a creek that is notorious for massive flooding with 5+ inches of rain. A few years ago people 200 yards downstream had water half way up their house as the creek was about 20' over the banks.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I'm up on a clay hill too. Our neighbor did clean out his culvert this morning and I'm going to do mine tonight so the driveway doesn't wash out. Our basement is a walk out with daylight drains on the 3 non-walk out sides. Not too worried.

I did have to evacuate in 2008 when we lived in another part of town. I will probably fill up the truck with fuel tonight, and get some gas for the genny just in case I need to go help my parents or other friends if it does get bad.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    Good luck to all those who have to endure rising water. preparation is the key to a good outcome. Maybe we will just get some long soaking rains over a long period that will go to putting and end to the drought.

1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    never fails, weather is great while at work and when you have an extended weekend the weather is less than desirable.

Top Bottom