Greenwood Kroger cop plays intimidation card, draws no response.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndianaGTI

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   1
    May 2, 2010
    Hmm, you seem upset that he was exercising his rights. He didn't bother you or say anything. He was just exercising his rights. Seems kind of ironic to me that you are upset by his exercise of his rights.[/QUOTE
    You don't have the right to stalk people. There are laws prohibiting harassment. Was it you following this guy or something?

You don't have the right to murder people either, but he neither stalked nor murdered the op. There are laws prohibiting harassment too, but he did not harass the guy. In fact, apparently the leo did not have any contact with the OP other than to be in the same place at the same time and follow him at a safe distance. Are you suggesting that should be against the law too? Trying to take more rights away are you?

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    You don't have the right to murder people either, but he neither stalked nor murdered the op. There are laws prohibiting harassment too, but he did not harass the guy. In fact, apparently the leo did not have any contact with the OP other than to be in the same place at the same time and follow him at a safe distance. Are you suggesting that should be against the law too? Trying to take more rights away are you?

IANAL...

I do feel as described in the OP this would fall under IC 35-45-2-1... :dunno:

Last edited:

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    IANAL...

I do feel as described in the OP this would fall under IC 35-45-2-1... :dunno:

And that, Jeremy, is why you are not a lawyer.

Stick to what you know. The officer's actions are not even close to fitting that statute. At least in the real world.

In the INGO world, though, I'm sure the cop should be fired for daring to walk behind someone. :rolleyes:

Honestly, the paranoia...........:):

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    In fact, apparently the leo did not have any contact with the OP other than to be in the same place at the same time and follow him at a safe distance.

Safe?

Two feet from the guy is "safe" to you?

That's not safe. That's within arm, club or knife distance.

Trying to take more rights away are you?

Are you a cop?

If you are I just feel the need to say AS AN AGENT OF THE GOVERNMENT YOU DON'T HAVE ANY RIGHTS. YOU ONLY HAVE AUTHORITY GRANTED BY US. WE HAVE RIGHTS, NOT YOU.

(Where have I heard that before? I know it was around here fairly recently...:dunno:)

If you're not a cop then just change all of the above from "you" to "they".

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green

Stick to what you know. The officer's actions are not even close to fitting that statute. At least in the real world.

In the INGO world, though, I'm sure the cop should be fired for daring to walk behind someone. :rolleyes:

Not argueing that I do not have a Firm grasp of the legalese that is written. That is why I generally pay for a Lawyer to translate it for me... ;)

I do believe that the Bold and Underlined sections below apply?!
    If not then?! :dunno:

IC 35-45-2-1
    Intimidation
    Sec. 1. (a) A person who communicates a threat to another person, with the intent:

(1) that the other person engage in conduct against the other person's will;
    (2) that the other person be placed in fear of retaliation for a prior lawful act; or
    (3) of causing:
    (A) a dwelling, a building, or another structure; or
    (B) a vehicle;
    to be evacuated;

commits intimidation, a Class A misdemeanor.
    (b) However, the offense is a:
    (1) Class D felony if:
    (A) the threat is to commit a forcible felony;
    (B) the person to whom the threat is communicated:
    (i) is a law enforcement officer;
    (ii) is a judge or bailiff of any court;
    (iii) is a witness (or the spouse or child of a witness) in any pending criminal proceeding against the person making the threat;
    (iv) is an employee of a school corporation;
    (v) is a community policing volunteer;
    (vi) is an employee of a court;
    (vii) is an employee of a probation department; or
    (viii) is an employee of a community corrections program.
    (C) the person has a prior unrelated conviction for an offense under this section concerning the same victim; or
    (D) the threat is communicated using property, including electronic equipment or systems, of a school corporation or other governmental entity; and
    (2) Class C felony if, while committing it, the person draws or uses a deadly weapon.
    (c) "Threat" means an expression, by words or action, of an intention to:
    (1) unlawfully injure the person threatened or another person, or damage property;
    (2) unlawfully subject a person to physical confinement or restraint;
    (3) commit a crime;
    (4) unlawfully withhold official action, or cause such withholding;
    (5) unlawfully withhold testimony or information with respect to another person's legal claim or defense, except for a reasonable claim for witness fees or expenses; (6) expose the person threatened to hatred, contempt, disgrace, or ridicule;
    (7) falsely harm the credit or business reputation of the person threatened; or
    (8) cause the evacuation of a dwelling, a building, another structure, or a vehicle.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.5. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.71; Acts 1981, P.L.300, SEC.3; P.L.183-1984, SEC.6; P.L.325-1985, SEC.1; P.L.242-1993, SEC.3; P.L.164-1993, SEC.12; P.L.1-1994, SEC.169; P.L.241-2001, SEC.3; P.L.175-2003, SEC.3; P.L.3-2006, SEC.2.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If I had stopped and asked him something like "Can I help you?", what would have been his next logical step, as far as intimidation tactics go?

I mean, hell, I can find plenty of reasons to drive back down there and buy something.

Still curious about this...

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn

It's the same kind of thing we hear in the legal world all the time:

It goes to "intent".

I'm not saying that the officer met the definition of the IC that jeremy posted (I'm not necessarily saying that he didn't either) but he DEFINITELY INTENDED for the OP to feel intimidated.

We even have a former cop on this thread saying that was how he was TRAINED to INTIMIDATE people.

While it may not NECESSARILY meet the statutory definition of "intimidation" it definitely meets the COMMON SENSE definition.

We should hold our government agents to a higher standard than that.

Integraholic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    At home
    Uh, no, please show me that code cite. Harassment to be in a public place or following someone? Not in this country yet. Maybe if some of the people on this forum have their way, it would be illegal to be in public at the same time as someone else. But as of this moment, no.
    Wow. Someone got a little defensive. You didn't notice my question mark at the end of my sentence indicating that it was a query instead of a statement. Maybe you were the one following him around. :)

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    what was that thing cops always say about feeling threatened? something about a 21 foot rule?

That's an edged weapon rule.

If someone pees their pants because a cop is walking behind them, perhaps they need to stay home and hide behind their couch. Are such men really the descendants of the pioneers who built this nation?

I wonder if Daniel Boone was such a whiny little thing. :):

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    That's an edged weapon rule.

If someone pees their pants because a cop is walking behind them, perhaps they need to stay home and hide behind their couch. Are such men really the descendants of the pioneers who built this nation?

I wonder if Daniel Boone was such a whiny little thing. :):

I felt the officer was unprofessional. I wasn't standing there shaking in my boots, I was wondering why the hell a man would go out of his way to do something that seemed so petty.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I wasn't standing there shaking in my boots, I was wondering why the hell a man would go out of his way to do something that seemed so petty.

Why? Have I taught you nothing of baiting, young grasshopper?:dunno:

Why did the cop spit on me? Why do they yell at you? Why do they drive without their headlights on behind you? Why do they do those things?

Because they are attempting to elicit a response from you. You kept your cool and passed the test. You did fine.

Next time smile, blow kisses at him and then set your grocercies down slowly while licking your lips.:laugh:

Top Bottom