• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    Hi can anyone tell me if there is a season for ground hogs. I just saw one come out from under my sun porch. I cant have that, and would like to eradicate it/them before anything gets outta hand.

bowtech29

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    new castle, indiana
    Right on will do tomorrow after work. Just moved to the country and had no idea what it was but it looked like a beaver without the tail. A quick Google search and its a ground hog. Thanks for the info.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    No real season, except I always wait till a) mid July, or b) sometimes earlier if I see pups being moved to their own dens by Mom. The young groundhogs are usually all weaned by mid-July; sometimes up to a month earlier; depending on when they breed.

We used to hunt and eat them often; very tasty. I don't see near as many as before, since coyotes moved into Indiana.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've heard that M193 5.56x45mm is effective on ground hogs. Or so I've heard. Especially when they happen to waddle across the base of the backstop at the range when someone is, oh, say, zeroing their red dot for instance.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    mmm, young ones!

No real season, except I always wait till a) mid July, or b) sometimes earlier if I see pups being moved to their own dens by Mom. The young groundhogs are usually all weaned by mid-July; sometimes up to a month earlier; depending on when they breed.

We used to hunt and eat them often; very tasty. I don't see near as many as before, since coyotes moved into Indiana.

Besides being a lot easier to skin, the young ones are tender a lot sooner when baking.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I have one in my woods next door about a month ago that destroys everything...and wouldn't you know I just saw 3 little pups running around too...even though they are almost full grown now...

CSORuger

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Brownsburg Indiana
    Country-Style Groundhog

• 1 groundhog
    • 1/2 c. flour
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/4 tsp. pepper
    • 1/4 c. cooking oil
    • 1/2 tsp. sugar
    Clean and skin as soon as possible. Remove all sent [sic] glands. Cut off head, feet and tail. Cure in cool place by suspending from hook approximately 4 days.
    When ready to cook, lard according to recipe.
    Dress groundhog as you would a rabbit, removing the small sacs in the back and under the forearm. Soak groundhog overnight in salted water to remove wild flavor.

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    We trapped 4 of them that were burrowed into the ramp leading up to the second floor of the barn. Then we got something bigger Monday.....a badger! We called DNR and turned it in. We're using a livetrap now.

Top Bottom