• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimH

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Don't shoot them anymore,have actually live trapped and turned a few loose on my farm-they are really our only burrowing animal and provide a lot of dens for rabbits and even quail will use their holes.I think distemper had a much bigger effect on both groundhogs and gray fox than coyotes- it seems to affect animals that live in burrows.Ticks me off that our great IDNR(Incompetents Doing Nothing Right) have a unlimited season on groundhogs and a no bag limit season on gray fox,yet want hunters to report gray fox sightings because they are so rare....

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    If your area is low in certain animal populations, you adjust for it.

Legally I can take five does where I hunt.
    Bud and I together could take 10 a year.
    I took one......in 2014.

Dont need Big Brother to tell me how to be responsible.

Gray fox.....yup, aint seen one forever. Id shoot one, and have it tanned. Let all other walk. Same for a red. Coyotes however......blast em all.

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    Where I work in Fort Wayne is overrun with them. I was at my cabin in northern Michigan a couple weeks ago. One had burrowed into my outhouse pit and made a nest. Three tunnels in and out. I was sitting there wondering how high a groundhog can jump.....

So, OK. I took my wife to the cabin. She is well aware of said wistlepig. Dont like it at all. She mentions getting rid of it. I say LEAVE IT BE. Next day I go to the store for some plumbing parts. I get back and she looks kinda shy..... Hmmmm... What did you do Hon? She says "Oh nothing. I just saw the groundhog hole there behind the outhouse and thought I would burn some leaves in it and smoke him out. I put in some pine cones, some leaves, a drizzle of gas..... Dang, no lighter. Went into the cabin and got one. Lit the leaves but the gas didn't seem to light. I decided to fill in the hole when the toilet lid blew off in the outhouse. I have not looked in there yet....." Luckily the gas fumes burned in the hole and didn't give the crapper liftoff. I'll replace the cracked seat tomorrow night. I swear to God she turned into a 12 YO as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. No groundhog but a family of mice sadly lost there lives. LOL

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, OK. I took my wife to the cabin. She is well aware of said wistlepig. Dont like it at all. She mentions getting rid of it. I say LEAVE IT BE. Next day I go to the store for some plumbing parts. I get back and she looks kinda shy..... Hmmmm... What did you do Hon? She says "Oh nothing. I just saw the groundhog hole there behind the outhouse and thought I would burn some leaves in it and smoke him out. I put in some pine cones, some leaves, a drizzle of gas..... Dang, no lighter. Went into the cabin and got one. Lit the leaves but the gas didn't seem to light. I decided to fill in the hole when the toilet lid blew off in the outhouse. I have not looked in there yet....." Luckily the gas fumes burned in the hole and didn't give the crapper liftoff. I'll replace the cracked seat tomorrow night. I swear to God she turned into a 12 YO as soon as I pulled out of the driveway. No groundhog but a family of mice sadly lost there lives. LOL

Could've been worse! :):

jys2m.gif

Top Bottom