• Status
    Please reply by conversation.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i am running windows 7 and to my self having issues with getting the computer to communicate with the radios. i have tried the included cd program. about to get chirp and try that.

ps. i am very computer literate so not being able to get the driver issues straighten out is extremely frustrating for me!

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    @bronson3304
    This page gives a real good example on how to get the driver to work.
    Baofeng UV5R Windows Drivers UV-5R

2 issues to deal with.
    1) Having the correct driver version for WIN 7/8
    2) Having the correct COM port assigned to the driver and in the software.

What I have also noticed is that at times CHIRP won't see teh radio when you start CHRIPs up but tunring off/on the radio will show it. Or leaving the radio on and closeing/restarting CHRIPs and then it connects.

UnionPmedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    NW Indiana
    i am running windows 7 and to my self having issues with getting the computer to communicate with the radios. i have tried the included cd program. about to get chirp and try that.

ps. i am very computer literate so not being able to get the driver issues straighten out is extremely frustrating for me!

I have Windows 7 and could not get the Baofeng program to talk to the radio, it said wrong comm port or something to that affect. CHIRP had no issues and works well. I have updated or cloned the radio about a dozen times since then; I keep adding freq's or changing the order, etc.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    @Bronson: Go here follow it step by step to correctly install the driver. I, too, run windows 7 and had issues until I followed the steps, since then I have had no troubles.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    Ok thanks guys I will try these out. I have the correct com port. When you plug in the radio mine auto set on com port 4. You can change that under the device manager in control panel. Then right click on the radio and hit properties. Then advanced settings. You want comp port 1

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Ok thanks guys I will try these out. I have the correct com port. When you plug in the radio mine auto set on com port 4. You can change that under the device manager in control panel. Then right click on the radio and hit properties. Then advanced settings. You want comp port 1

Correct BUT ONLY for the mfg software. VIPS (mfg software) only works on COM PORT 1, even though they have all the other com ports listed. :rolleyes: CHIRPS will work with any other port provided you set it right.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Ok gentlemen...

I have been working on a document to try and capture the process of getting the driver installed. You can find the page at http://www.w9lrt.com/index.cfm/resources/baofeng

It is a work in progress, does not include the Chirp instructions yet, but should walk you through the process of getting the driver installed on Windows 7. I believe it will also install on Windows 8, but have no way to test it.

I will get a machine setup to run XP and try to create those instructions soon.

You will also find a link on that page to download the CORRECT driver. Do NOT try to install a newer version or you WILL be disappointed!:n00b:

Overall, I have been impressed with the sound quality of these radios when talking with other folks. Power and modulation are good, and if you don't tell them, they won't know you spent a fraction of what they did on their radio.

If you have comments or suggestions to improve the document, please let me know.:twocents:

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    Sorry for venting on Jedi, I have put in a lot of time trying to get the drivers downloaded to my vista laptop which I have given up on, and on my windows 8 desktop. For the money these are neat ham radios for a beginner, I have just been over whelmed at how big of a pain in the ass downloading the drivers is. I shouldn't have tried to make it personal with Jedi and see now that he has been nothing but helpful. Navyvet has put together a easier to follow link and I will try his method next. I installed chirp last week in anticipation of the new radios showing up and have been messing with plugging in local frequencies I found on radioreference.com

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    ok so i got my radio to talk to my computer and i loaded in the frequencies i found online for my county. there are a couple of police, EMA, fire department, and weather. but the only one that picks up any broadcast is the weather.

does anyone know why i am not able to listen in on the local pd? i programmed the frequency listed.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i was able to get my computer to talk to my radio. so i programmed some local frequencies listed on radioreferance.com. channels include local pd, ems,fd, and weather. the only channel that will receive any kind of broadcast is the weather. the rest are all silent.

does anybody know why i can not listen to the local police, fire department, or EMS

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    i was able to get my computer to talk to my radio. so i programmed some local frequencies listed on radioreferance.com. channels include local pd, ems,fd, and weather. the only channel that will receive any kind of broadcast is the weather. the rest are all silent.

does anybody know why i can not listen to the local police, fire department, or EMS

what police are you trying to listen to. some are on a digital trunck and you wont be able to hear them even if you can get to the freq. in nwi the 2 agenies on digital are east chicago and hammond (some feq). not sure on the rest of the state.

also if you live out in the sticks it may be that you police is just quiet as in nothing is going on. when i listen to griffith and highland indiana the level of travel is low to none. but when i listen to chicago downtown district its a constant stream of stuff, too muxh really.

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    Glad to hear the drivers are working....

You might have programmed an 'old frequency' that has been migrated to digital and is no longer being used. Some frequencies are only used for inter-department communications (rarely). Others are sitting quietly until needed.

There are still a few counties that using the old frequencies, but as they upgrade and the FCC grabs more of the spectrum, they will ultimately move to digital.

Best is to listen to them for a while and see if any traffic happens. Delete or not as you see fit. One advantage is that Indiana used some pretty standard frequencies statewide, so even if they are dead in your area, they may be in use somewhere else (maybe where you are bugging out to).

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    what police are you trying to listen to. some are on a digital trunck and you wont be able to hear them even if you can get to the freq. in nwi the 2 agenies on digital are east chicago and hammond (some feq). not sure on the rest of the state.

also if you live out in the sticks it may be that you police is just quiet as in nothing is going on. when i listen to griffith and highland indiana the level of travel is low to none. but when i listen to chicago downtown district its a constant stream of stuff, too muxh really.

kokomo PD, kokomo FD, kokomo ems. what are the odds that they all are quiet at once. i let it scan for a couple of hours with nothing. i live in town. i got the frequencies from radio reference. here is the link

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?inputs=1&ctid=726#cats

i dont know if maybe i have missed a setting or what. i reset the radio, then just programmed the given frequencies on chirp, but all i can pick up is the weatherband.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    Glad to hear the drivers are working....

You might have programmed an 'old frequency' that has been migrated to digital and is no longer being used. Some frequencies are only used for inter-department communications (rarely). Others are sitting quietly until needed.

There are still a few counties that using the old frequencies, but as they upgrade and the FCC grabs more of the spectrum, they will ultimately move to digital.

Best is to listen to them for a while and see if any traffic happens. Delete or not as you see fit. One advantage is that Indiana used some pretty standard frequencies statewide, so even if they are dead in your area, they may be in use somewhere else (maybe where you are bugging out to).

can we pick up those digital frequencies?

NavyVet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Marshall County
    can we pick up those digital frequencies?

You can... Just not with a $50 radio. Most scanners able to pick up the 700/800mhz trunking digital start at $300 and go up from there. (Radio Shack Pro-97 handheld or Pro-197 Desktop)

I believe they are worth the investment if you want to 'be in the know' during an emergency situation. (My wife has a different opinion, I'm sure).

Programming those are not for the novice... Takes special software and a lot of patience. Makes the Baofeng look like kindergarten.

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    You can... Just not with a $50 radio. Most scanners able to pick up the 700/800mhz trunking digital start at $300 and go up from there. (Radio Shack Pro-97 handheld or Pro-197 Desktop)

I believe they are worth the investment if you want to 'be in the know' during an emergency situation. (My wife has a different opinion, I'm sure).

Programming those are not for the novice... Takes special software and a lot of patience. Makes the Baofeng look like kindergarten.

ok, so no go on the digital with the uv-a5. is there a way to upgrade the radio to recieve the 700/800 mhz?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Hum.. You try all the other freq in that area from the website you linked?
    Since you are getting NOAA I don't think it's a radio issue (ie. the radio is working) more likely either the wronf freq and/or those folks are just real quiet.

Got anyone else near you to help test/talk to?

*cough* You can always come to the Meet & Shoots at Winamac and we have HAMMers that come as well. *cough* :)

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom