• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hi guys, I wanted to show off my new GSG guide rod. I had one of the cast/molded rods that came with the gun before. It failed about 250ish rounds in. I could get a replacement from ATI but there’s a definite design flaw there. I found a full length stainless guide rod for sale online and put it in instead. It’s build like a tank and it looks cool! I picked polished, but they have all types of finishes. I’m hoping this helps keep the spring aligned while shooting as well. Threw a couple hundred rounds down range with it and it worked perfectly! Uses the standard plug and just drops in. After being pleased with the performance of their guide rod, I went back and purchased a compensator, too. It looks great on my GSG and performed well at the range. I honestly believe that it helped reduce some muzzle flip. I realize that with a .22LR there isn't going to be much muzzle flip anyway, but having that little bit of extra weight on the end helps. Pictures of my GSG 1911 and links for their website are below. :ingo:

ZR Tactical Solutions, LLC » GSG 1911-22 & Sig Sauer 1911-22 Full Length Guide Rod
    ZR Tactical Solutions, LLC » GSG 1911 & Sig 1911-22 Compensator

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0336.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is a good looking gun! I love those grips
    That is one HOT GSG!

Thanks! I really appreciate that.

Is the compensator overkill on a 22? I ask in all seriousness.

In my honest opinion, I do not think it is. However, I am sure that there are some people that would believe that it is. For me, a lot of the reason I purchased it was looks. I knew that a compensator would not have the same affect on a 22LR that it would on a 9mm or 45 acp, due to less pressure and gas being created. However, I think having the extra weight of the compensator on the end helps more than anything. In my opinion, it is a personal preference.

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    I was considering a GSG 1911 as a suppressor host, but I am reconsidering if you had failures after 250 rounds with factory parts. Was it just your gun, or have you heard of this being a common problem with the GSG's? Thanks in advance.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    I was considering a GSG 1911 as a suppressor host, but I am reconsidering if you had failures after 250 rounds with factory parts. Was it just your gun, or have you heard of this being a common problem with the GSG's? Thanks in advance.

Mine has over 20,000 documented rounds down the pipe, and I'm still running on the original guide rod.

I went ahead and ordered the polished stainless guide rod for mine today. Why? Because it looks cool I suppose.

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good looking grips. Where did you get them? $1.50 a pair?

I bought them off a friend who bought them from a guy on INGO, not sure who exactly though.

Yes, it was actually my gun that it failed on after I put 250 rounds through it. However, I bought mine used, so I am not sure how many the previous put through it. I have read where others have had the same problem then replaced their rods and it was fine. From what I read, these occurrences are few and far between. As gglass stated, he has 20,000 rounds through his with no problem, and I know of others that haven't had this issue either after thousands of rounds. I am not trying to scare people away from the GSG because I love mine and would buy another in a heart beat. I was just trying to let people know of ways to replace their factory rod, especially for those that have heard of the rod failing before.

gglass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    ELKHART
    Have you had to replace the firing pin? Mine is about to get its third.

Indeed. I am also on my third firing pin. It seems to me that they last close to 10,000 rounds before they give up the ghost.

It is unfortunate that the firing pin cannot be more like a centerfire's pin design. Instead, it is a complex strip of metal that has a few points that can suffer from fatigue. I was told by ATI the last time I sent mine in for replacement, that GSG will be coming out with a more durable material for the firing pin soon. I can't imagine that Sig Sauer will allow them to keep the same material in use with their name on the gun.

I fully expect that parts will fatigue and break with high usage rates on any handgun design. I would at least like the firing pin to last to at least 25,000 rounds before I need to replace it.

Parts that have been replaced on my GSG1911:

• Barrel Bushing - This was originally a pot metal part that broke on all of the initial GSG's. Mine broke at around 2,000 rounds, and replaced by ATI. It was discovered to be an issue and all GSG's now come with a steel bushing.
    • Main Spring Housing - I hate the arched MSH, so I replaced mine with a flat checkered S&W MSH... I love it.
    • Firing Pin - I had one FP break at around 9350 rounds and another at around 19,000 rounds. Unless my latest FP is made of another material, I fully expect it to break around the 30,000 mark.
    • Barrel - I stripped the screw threads out of the barrel by over-torquing the barrel retention screw at around 13,500 rounds. (My Fault) ATI kindly replaced the barrel at no charge.

I have not paid anything to have any items repaired or replaced, with the exception of the S&W Main Spring Housing that I elected to replace.

I love my GSG1911...

dboz

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Greenwood
    Thank you so much for the reassurance. It sounds like GSG has great customer support. I will be considering one for my new .22 host

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    I have been looking at the GSG's for a long time, after shooting mjrducky's with the can on it..I fell in love.

So yesterday during my day off I strolled into Bradis and put the only standard modle they had in stock on layaway!

I will have a nice GSG in a couple of weeks now! I do have a question for the OP, where di you have the finish done because that is one sexy GSG.

Hookfish

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I will have a nice GSG in a couple of weeks now! I do have a question for the OP, where did you have the finish done because that is one sexy GSG.

Thanks! I actually finished the gun myself using gun kote. It is a finish that is sprayed on then you bake it to harden the finish. Here is the link for them: Metal Protective Coating | Firearm Lubricants | Industrial Coatings It is a really easy process to do, and gun kote actually developed their product originally for the Navy Seals. One thing I will highly recommend to anyone that uses it to refinish their GSG is do not follow the baking instructions they provide. I was nervous about baking mine at a high temperature, so I called and talked to their chemist. He recommended that I bake the finish at 250 F for 2.5 hrs. In order to get the necessary crosslinking, you have bake it at least at 250 F.

Top Bottom